Love, Death and New Life through the lens of Disney

Great update! The part about Raider making a game out of standing in line, and being so proud about it, really made me smile. So cute.:goodvibes

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. If you ever want to talk or have any questions please feel free to PM me. It really helps to talk to others who have been through similar stuff. I had a friend who's dad had brain cancer and that really helped me and even now talking to other people who are dealing with brain cancer helps me.

I will most probably take you up on your offer, after we finally get her biopsy results and get out of this state of "limbo".

We had gone to the food court for breakfast and when we got back to the room I could not find my Key to the World card. I usually carry it in my back pocket but it was not there. It was nowhere, and then I remembered I had put it on the tray after paying for my meal. I realized that I never picked it back up so I had thrown it away. I panicked.
Ugh! Even knowing that they can be replaced, I'd panic! I'm glad it was easily rectified! :yay:

I told her that actually he had passed away and this trip was in memory of his life. I got the typical reaction of just shock and then guilt for asking me without knowing. I always feel horrible telling people about Ben. I feel like I just bring sadness to anyone I meet. I always feel so bad for them too because I know they feel guilty for bringing it up. I feel like they feel bad, like they have all of a sudden made me think about Ben and that it makes me sad. The opposite is actually true.
Yep, this is exactly what my friend has described going through and feeling. :hug:
I realized in that moment that Ben really had left his legacy in Epcot. I knew that forever our love would be inside that park, even if it was only in a 1” tile.
:goodvibes

We decided we would just eat at Sunshine Seasons. This was probably my favorite counter service meal. I just remember it being stressful finding a table. This was one of the only times we actually ate at noon and it was crowded.
I swear, it's ALWAYS like that there! I've been on the slowest of slow days and it's still congested in Sunshine Seasons. :confused3 But the food is so consistently yummy, it's worth it, no?

This rollercoaster lived up to all the hype and then some. It is just an amazing ride that is like no other ride out there.
Yay, I'm so glad you got to ride it and that it exceeded expectations!

The wait was about 20 minutes. It seemed like an hour when you have a tired and hungry two year old.
:rotfl2: Ain't that the truth?!

Love the Epcot update. I'm with you: once is enough on Mission. I could have kicked my DH in the butt for telling me there was nothing to do the ride. I reacted the same way you did...and I had to do orange...they didn't have a green side at that time.

I'm so glad that your mom loved Soarin'. It is one of my favorites.

And I'm even happier that you got back to AK and did Expedition Everest. It really is a great ride.

Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I am in Epcot right now. I found your Leave A Legacy this morning while my mom found ours. I wanted you to know that I enjoyed finding it. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Jessica

Thank you so much for sharing your story it has been very encouraging for me to read. My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August and it has been very hard to adjust. We are still in the fight and hoping for the best. It is nice reading your story and hearing that even though your husband is gone he can live on through you, I guess it’s comforting to know that there is light even at the end of the very darkest of tunnels. God bless and again thank you for sharing.

P.S. I’m from Spokane as well it’s nice to see other spokanites on here.

Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I am in Epcot right now. I found your Leave A Legacy this morning while my mom found ours. I wanted you to know that I enjoyed finding it. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Jessica

I am glad you were able to find it, thanks for checking it out. :)

Thank you so much for sharing your story it has been very encouraging for me to read. My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August and it has been very hard to adjust. We are still in the fight and hoping for the best. It is nice reading your story and hearing that even though your husband is gone he can live on through you, I guess it’s comforting to know that there is light even at the end of the very darkest of tunnels. God bless and again thank you for sharing.

P.S. I’m from Spokane as well it’s nice to see other spokanites on here.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will her in my prayers.

Sorry it has been so long since the last update. I have just been so busy lately. I took my high school youth on a ski trip and my son's birthday was last weekend. I can't believe I have a 3 year old. This time of year is always just crazy busy for me.

I am sorry to say that this post has been cancelled. Please come back and view at another time. Just kidding. This was just the way this whole day went. We laughed about it for the rest of our trip and continued to make jokes about attractions being closed.

This post is also when the photos start to become scarce, but don't worry next trip report will be full of them again.

Today was a Hollywood Studios day.

IMG_0439.jpg

Who knows what my mom and I are trying to figure out here but I look like I am relaying some sort of information

We woke up to pouring rain. It was a total downpour. We headed to the food court for breakfast and then back to the room to get ready for a day in the rain. We had purchased a poncho for Raider and I. My parent’s had brought their own raincoats. Once we were ready we headed of to the Studios. My goal for the day was Tower of Terror, Rockin’ Rollercoaster and Fantasmic. What is crazy is that I didn’t even know about Toy Story Mania. What is even crazier is that Toy Story is one of my favorite movie of all time and I still had not heard about the ride. Now looking back I am sure it was a good thing because I would have wasted a ton of time standing in the standby line.

The rain had let up by the time we got to the park so my dad and I headed to Tower of Terror. Gosh I love that ride. I could never get too much of that ride. So when Ben and I were in California Adventure we went on Tower of Terror there. We knew that every time you ride it the drop sequence is different but we weren’t expecting the ride to be any different. When we had gone on it at Hollywood Studios the elevator went up, stopped on a floor, showed the little Twilight Zone movie, then went up a couple floors. The door then opened and the car moved forward out of the elevator shaft and then the drop occurred. This is exactly what we were expecting at California Adventure, but this is not what happened. Instead the elevator went up we watched the little movie, the doors shut and then we dropped. I so was not expecting to drop. It was the most terrifying thing ever but amazingly awesome. This time I had no clue what to expect so I was more on guard and ready to drop at any moment, but it was exactly like the first time so I am thinking the two parks are just a little different in the stuff that happens before the drop.

We headed over to Rockin’ Rollercoaster after Tower of Terror. My uncle had told my dad all about RR. It was my uncle’s favorite ride so my dad was really looking forward to it. My dad isn’t a huge Aerosmith fan but he play electric guitar and loves rock n roll so I knew he would like the music aspect. Of course the ride was great. I just love roller coasters.

While my dad and I were going on the thrill rides my mom and Raider went shopping. My mom had bought all her grandkids towels with there names embroidered on them. Raider’s was pirate Mickey which was so perfect. Ben and I had always called him our little pirate even before he was born. His nursery was decorated with pirates as well. Ben had always been into pirates so it totally made sense for us to go with a pirate theme. I was so surprised when about three months after Raider was born Pirate baby stuff was everywhere. Part of me was kinda annoyed but really it was nice because he had so much pirate stuff and it was fun.

It was now just pouring so we headed over to the ABC Commissary to get Raider some food. The adults were not hungry but Raider definitely needed to eat before his nap. The rain was still coming down like crazy when he finished so we decided to just head back to the hotel and hang out while he slept. My dad and I headed to the food court to eat lunch. I built my own salad and it was incredible. Once we finished we headed back to the room so my mom could go eat. I offered to go with her but she said she would just pick up some food and bring it back to the room. It really was relaxing to just hang out in the hotel for a couple hours.

Around 4 we bundled back up and headed back to Hollywood Studios.

PC040319.jpg

Raider all bundled up and ready to head back out into the rain.

The plan was to go to Playhouse Disney and then Fantasmic. When we got to the park I talked with a cast member (the one who stands by the board that has wait times on it) if Fantasmic would be happening due to the rain. The rain had almost stopped so we were hopeful. He said they wouldn’t know to right before the show. So we headed off to Playhouse Disney

We were a few minutes late but they still let us in. Raider was just loving it. He was up dancing and laughing. We literally had been watching for maybe 5 minutes and all of a sudden the show kinda stopped and the host started leading the kids in the hokey pokey. Then she said she was going to go check on Mickey and just walked backstage. We sat there for another 2 minutes in silence with nothing going on. We all looked at eachother like what the heck is going on. Then over the speakers came a recorded voice. “We are sorry to announce that Playhouse Disney has been cancelled. Please return tomorrow for another showing.” We sat there in shock trying to figure out what we should do next. We had about 20 minutes to kill before we were going to head over to Fantasmic. A cast member came over to us as we were talking and told us we had to leave, so we got up and left. I was surprised how fast they ushered everybody out of the room. We never figured out why the show was cancelled half way through. It was the strangest thing ever.

We walked through some shops on our way over to Fantasmic. The weather was actually kind of warm even though it was pretty wet out. The rain had return to a drizzle. The Fantasmic amphitheater was already open so we just walked up and found some seats. There weren’t that many people even there. I think the rain had scared everybody away. We had a half hour before the show was going to start. As we were sitting there the sky opened up again and the downpour began. Raider was soaking wet but loved splashing around in the puddles. Because it was warm we just let him play and get soaked. We were in Disney and it is all about forgetting the world and being a kid again so I wasn’t even going to worry about him being wet from head to toe.

About 5 minutes before the show was about to start once again we heard the pre-recorded voice over the Speakers. “We are sorry to announce that Fantasmic is cancelled, please enjoy a simple water show.

There was a little show with water and lights. It was all coordinated with the drip drip drop little april showers song. I was happy that at least we got to see something after sitting there in the rain for a half hour.

We were so tired and wet after all of that so we headed back to the hotel. My dad and Raider watched some Thomas the train on the computer and then we all went to bed.

PC040317.jpg

Relaxing with Grandpa.

Here were my facebook status updates for the day
“Rain rain go away come again another day. Preferably after December 7th”

“The Playhouse Disney Show got unexpectedly canceled only ten minutes in. So weird and it was Raider's favorite thing so far. :(. I guess we will have to try again on Sunday”

I'm glad you were able to get out into the rain. I remember it was just torrential at times that whole weekend.

I love the pic of Raider and Grandpa watching Thomas. :lovestruc

Great update! Sorry you had such a rainy day, was there lightning? Usually they will still run Fantasmic in the rain unless there's lightning.

Cute pic of Raider and his Grandpa, he looks like is about to drift off right there in front of the computer.

Just found your TR and wow is all I can say. You have the strength of 100 women and your little boy will grow up to be wonderful like his dad, and you will carry the memory of him forever!! I haven't read the blog, I am already having an emotional day, I need to save it for later. Hugs to you and your little one!!!
Can't wait to read the rest!!

Wonderful update. I am sorry about all the rain, but I do love the photo of Raider all dressed up to go back out in it. :love:

Hi there. Wow, I read your whole report in one sitting. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us. It really has made a difference to me now that I have read it so thank you. You had me smiling so big, then tearing up, then smiling again. I think it's beautiful that you took your son to Disney this and last year just like Ben would have wanted. We all know it's not easy getting a trip together but it is so worth it. The lifelong memories you are building for your son are just priceless. I am so impressed by your strength, really. Cancer runs in our family and so we have lost quite a few people. Every loss has been devastating but I've never lost someone that I was as close as you were with Ben, and I just don't know how I would deal with that without shutting down. You have truly risen to the occasion for your son and you deserve major praise. Also, apart from how touching your story is, you just have a way with writing that I really enjoy reading. Great pictures too. Thanks for the report and I can't wait for more.

Got a little behind. I also read your blog-what an amazing tribute to Ben. Raider's first trip looks like fun so far!!

I have really found your story to be inspiring. Please continue. Your family looks so strong.

I'm glad you were able to get out into the rain. I remember it was just torrential at times that whole weekend.

I love the pic of Raider and Grandpa watching Thomas. :lovestruc

The rain ended up being fun for Raider and a memory I will never forget.

Great update! Sorry you had such a rainy day, was there lightning? Usually they will still run Fantasmic in the rain unless there's lightning.

Cute pic of Raider and his Grandpa, he looks like is about to drift off right there in front of the computer.

There wasn't any lightning just massive amounts of rain. I believe there was too much rain on the set for them to be able to safely do the Pocahontas scene.

Just found your TR and wow is all I can say. You have the strength of 100 women and your little boy will grow up to be wonderful like his dad, and you will carry the memory of him forever!! I haven't read the blog, I am already having an emotional day, I need to save it for later. Hugs to you and your little one!!!
Can't wait to read the rest!!

Thanks for reading and the compliments. Some days I feel like I have no strength and love being reminded that even when I don't feel strong and still am.

Wonderful update. I am sorry about all the rain, but I do love the photo of Raider all dressed up to go back out in it. :love:

I was surprised that he even would wear the poncho but I agree he looked so cute in it.

Hi there. Wow, I read your whole report in one sitting. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us. It really has made a difference to me now that I have read it so thank you. You had me smiling so big, then tearing up, then smiling again. I think it's beautiful that you took your son to Disney this and last year just like Ben would have wanted. We all know it's not easy getting a trip together but it is so worth it. The lifelong memories you are building for your son are just priceless. I am so impressed by your strength, really. Cancer runs in our family and so we have lost quite a few people. Every loss has been devastating but I've never lost someone that I was as close as you were with Ben, and I just don't know how I would deal with that without shutting down. You have truly risen to the occasion for your son and you deserve major praise. Also, apart from how touching your story is, you just have a way with writing that I really enjoy reading. Great pictures too. Thanks for the report and I can't wait for more.

Thanks so much for reading. I love hearing that Ben and my story are making a difference. I didn't set out to inspire or change how someone felt but when it does I just am so thankful that Ben's impact on others did not end with his death.

Got a little behind. I also read your blog-what an amazing tribute to Ben. Raider's first trip looks like fun so far!!

You know I really should go back and read my blog. I never have but I know so much of it just speaks about how amazing Ben was through his whole illness. I am so glad I have it for Raider to read when he gets older.

I have really found your story to be inspiring. Please continue. Your family looks so strong.

Thanks for reading. Sorry it has been so long. My life has just been so crazy. I have not been home for the past 5 weekends and then this past week I was the stage manager for a play that had 5 showings this week so to say I have been busy in almost an understatement. I will try to write more now that my life is hopefully slowing down a little.

That morning we got up and headed to Magic Kingdom. I was excited for this day. Magic Kingdom is my favorite park and I just couldn't wait to see the castle and feel the magic. We headed down Main St. and straight to the Jungle Cruise. The Jungle Cruise is my Dad's favorite ride. It was the same fantastic ride that it always is. Afterwards we headed to the Tiki room which is one of my favorites. I still like the original way better than the Iago take over version but it will do. Maybe one day they will ditch Iago and Rafiki and go back to the original, but I am not holding my breath. After the Tiki room we headed to Pirate's of the Caribbean. This is my mom's favorite ride. It is one of my favorites too and I can't imagine ever going to Disney without going on it. I was nervous Raider would be frightened because of the dark but he was totally fine. He tensed up a little on the hill but that was it. I actually really liked the addition of Jack Sparrow. Usually I hate any changes to classic rides but I felt like the Jack Sparrow stuff was minimal and didn't take away from the original theme of the ride. After Pirates we took off to check out Peter Pan. The line of course was long so we decided we would just get fast passes for later than night when we came back. We had time for one more ride before we headed back to the hotel for naptime so we went on the Haunted Mansion. I gave my Dad a hard time for not having taken me on this ride when I was a kid. He thought I would be to scared. ha ha. I wasn't even thinking Raider would be scared because we had already done Pirates and he had done fine. Well when we got in the stretching room and it began to stretch Raider freaked out and began to cry. I guess he just knew that a room should not be stretching and something was not right. He was fine the rest of the ride. I was so surprised he even knew that a stretching room was scary. After Haunted Mansion we decided that we would head over to the Grand Floridian to look at the Gingerbread House. Just being on the grounds of the Grand Floridian was fun. One day I hope that I will have the opportunity to stay there. Even if it is just for one night. The Gingerbread house was impressive and so was the Christmas tree.

PC050341.jpg

PC050333.jpg

PC050340.jpg

My mom chasing Raider around the Grand Floridian

We were all hungry and so we headed to the Grand Floridian Cafe to see if we could squeeze in there for lunch. Amazingly enough they got us a table in less than 20 minutes. Raider was exhausted and just in a cranky mood. The service was incredibly slow. We had gotten seated quickly but we waited over a half hour for our food. My mom and I took turns walking around the resort grounds with Raider while we waited for our food. Then once the food came my mom walked around with Raider while I ate and then I walked around with him while she ate. I honestly don't even remember what any of us ate because I was just so stressed about keeping Raider entertained. After we ate we headed straight back to the hotel for a nap.

I was exhausted so I decided I was going to take a nap with Raider as well. My parent's still had energy so they took off to Epcot. They had a blast just the two of them. They headed to England and had a drink at the Rose and Crown. My Dad also bought Raider a Thomas the Train board book in England. Raider is a diehard Thomas fan so that was a sweet gift from my dad. They of course rode Soarin' again too. I was so excited that my mom had trusted me and had gone on Soarin'. She just loved it so much and still talks about it to this day.

When they returned to the hotel we headed back to the Magic Kingdom. When we got there we decided we would ride the train and then decided from there what to do. We rode it all the way around and ended up back on Main st. After that I don't remember exactly what we did. I know we didn't spend anytime in Tomorrowland because I left that day thinking we never made it there. I do know that at some point we went to Toon town so that must have been when we did it. We also decided at some point not to ride Peter Pan and I don't remember why. I remember at this point also thinking that really we hadn't done much that day ride wise but that I was totally okay with it.

It was getting late and we were getting hungry to we wanted to watch Spectromagic and Wishes. We were able to get in at ... I was excited to eat there because I am a huge Lady and the Tramp fan. Once again I can't remember what I had but they gave us a seat by the window so we were able to watch Spectromagic as it went by. As soon as we finished eating we headed outside to hear the announcement that Wishes was starting. We walking around the corner onto Main St. and watched Wishes. We had a great view and it was seriously perfect timing.

IMG_0459-2.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

My dad took this picture of the castle and it is one of my favorite pictures from our trip.

As soon as Wishes ended we went straight to the buses. The next day would be December 6th which was Ben's birthday. It was going to be a special day and we were exhausted after a long day at the Magic Kingdom.

The only facebook status update I had that day was

"The Magic Kingdom is definitely magical"

Thank you for sharing your story. My father died of leukemia when I was three leaving my 26 year old mother with me and my infant sister. A few years later she met and married my dad and I gained two brothers and later another sister.

Your report is wonderful. Did you get married in the chapel at Valparaiso?? We got married in the Valpo chapel--but in the little chapel in the lower level! In 1969, quite a while ago.

Thank you for sharing your story. My father died of leukemia when I was three leaving my 26 year old mother with me and my infant sister. A few years later she met and married my dad and I gained two brothers and later another sister.

After Ben died I never thought that I would ever even want to get remarried but now I hope that one day I do. I would love more children. I am so happy that your mom was able to find love again.

Your report is wonderful. Did you get married in the chapel at Valparaiso?? We got married in the Valpo chapel--but in the little chapel in the lower level! In 1969, quite a while ago.

Yes we were married at the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valpo. What a small world to come across another person married there on a forum. ha ha. So did you go to school there or just have some other connection with the university? What was so meaningful to me is that we were married there and then we also had his funeral services there in the back of the chapel. The chapel has so much meaning for me now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!