luau - is it worth it?

sandymac

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
We will be going to WDW for the first time this July. We will be staying at the Poly and were thinking about going to the Luau. For those of you who have gone, is it worth the money. We have three kids - ages 6, 3, and 1. Will they enjoy it?

Thanks for the advice

We did the luau last summer. It featured the different dances from the different islands. After awhile the dances all started looking the same. The fire dancer was very intense, but he doesn't perform until the very end of the show. The food was poor, very fatty ribs, greasy chicken. The pineapple was yummy, though. The kids do get a few moments on stage to learn a dance, but it was short and crowded. Our daughter loves to dance, but she got bored with the performance, as did other kids. They seemed more enchanted by two ducks that were right in front of the stage.
Lucy's Mom

We have been to the luau twice and loved it, but we pretty much love all Hawaiian/Polynesian stuff. I did notice some of the smaller kids seemed bored...we are taking our four year old son this time. I am hoping for the best. Maybe those two ducks will be there! ;)

We did it last May. Our dd was 2 1/2 and she absolutely loved it. We all (party of 20) thought that it was well worth it. We also thought that the meal was pretty good. I was pregnant so any food was good at that time. I am not a big chicken eater so I only ate the ribs and the ones that I had weren't fatty at all. The meat practically was falling off of the bone (YUMMY). I really liked the rice too.

As far as the show is concerned.....the plot was kind of silly, but the dancers were neat. If think you have never seen this kind of show before I think that you will appreciate it more.

The only complaint that I had was that it was hot under the pavillion. I am pretty sure that they had fans trying to circulate the air though.

Oh and we did the 8pm seating. It was nice and dark outside and the fire contrast was brilliant.

I think it is worth trying. So much so that we are thinking about doing it again.

we have done the luau twice - once just DW and I and once with our DD's (theirs was a "mickey & friends" luau). We thoroughly enjoyed the first time we went, and were disappointed in the second time.

Food is ok. Show is great...if it's not raining. It was raining when we took the girls and it was difficult to see all the performance because they were under the "awnings" of the stage the whole time. Maybe it would have been different if it weren't raining.

Don't know if they still do the "Mickey" luau or not, but it would be better for the kids than the other (IMHO).

Glad to hear a 2 1/2 did fine for the show. We have ressies in September and i'm hoping he will be entertained enough to just stay in his seat. Dinning out with a toddler can be a crap shoot! Sometimes he is awesome and other times it's like he has ants in his pants! lol!

:bounce:

My dd stayed in her seat long enough to eat and then she was up at the foot of the stage with the other kids dancing and watching the show. At one point they even let the kids come up on the stage and dance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter