Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

my Sister's, she's doing well and we had some of the best conversations we've ever had.

Oh that's nice and good to hear she is doing well :-)

Here’s a picture of the beach from yesterday-just the way we like it-empty!

There's just something different about a walk on the beach isn't there??

How is the coming of spring (or fall, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere) affecting your health goals and plans?

As it gets darker earlier it wlll start to affect walking after work I suppose - but on the other hand I am looking forward to it cooling down a bit more - making walking more comfortable! Today is walking day and I have woken up to rain ... so will just have to wait to see if it lasts all day and how heavy it is this afternoon.

May I ask what you did not care for as much? Not that a four night cruise is a mini-vacation, but we were looking for a sort of mini-vacation prior to our WDW in August. So we thought we would give it a try!

My boys really liked it. My daughter didn't and was in a state of anxiousness most of the trip - she didn't like the movement. We went on a 4 day mini-cruise also to give it a try - I would say it wasn't quite long enough - by the time we worked out what we were doing and the place that worked out best for us to eat with DD - it seemed in the restaurant each night that is when she would feel the worst. Last night we worked out if we just ate at the buffet and took it out on deck in the open with the big movie screen to watch she was better - and I actually think that was the roughest sea night we had! For me it was okay - but I don't feel I really relaxed over those days - but that could be because of DD but also by the time I acclimated to the movement it was nearly over. Agree the pools can get crowded. DD says she is never cruising again, my boys would, I think possibly - It might be different experience/relaxation if I went with say some friends then I am not the responsible one!

I am going with my sister, and we changed cruises from a Key West/Cuba to Bahamas (which is much cheaper) to have a balcony. The inside room just looked so small, and this was we can enjoy as much as possible.

That sounds nice - and yes balcony would definitely be better. We didn't have a balcony but did have a nice big window - I would hate to be in one of those inner rooms with just walls all around me.

I am starting to learn more about the ship now, so I at least have some idea where to go.

This is a great idea.

Topic Tuesday -

How is the coming of spring (or fall, if you're in the Southern Hemisphere) affecting your health goals and plans?

Also, we'll be looking for a host for April. :) - If you might have time to facilitate our discussion in April, please think about it!
I am happier and more motivated when it is warm and sunny. So on warm, sunny spring days, I will get out and do extra exercise like taking walks or going for bike rides. However, on the rainy spring days, I am MUCH less motivated and want to crawl back under the covers and not get out of bed. It's funny how weather can affect my mood so much. So having set my monthly goals is very helpful to me...as they motivate me even when the weather is bad. Plus knowing that the temperatures will soon going up motivates me to try to get ready for shorts season ;)

I am going with my sister, and we changed cruises from a Key West/Cuba to Bahamas (which is much cheaper) to have a balcony. The inside room just looked so small, and this was we can enjoy as much as possible.
Just you and your sister in a balcony room sounds wonderful! We had 4 of us (I think the twins were 12 at the time) in one room. So even with the balcony, I felt like we were on top of each other. I'm sure you'll have a great time! And this group has been wonderful in motivating me to meet my goals and keeping my accountable just by having the different topics for discussion. It keeps me thinking about my health goals and makes me want to meet them!

Just you and your sister in a balcony room sounds wonderful! We had 4 of us (I think the twins were 12 at the time) in one room. So even with the balcony, I felt like we were on top of each other. I'm sure you'll have a great time! And this group has been wonderful in motivating me to meet my goals and keeping my accountable just by having the different topics for discussion. It keeps me thinking about my health goals and makes me want to meet them!

Four in one room would be way too much (based on pictures)!! We literally saw the pictures of the interior room, and the strings attached to get into Cuba (a stop on the original cruise we booked) and immediately switched.

I'll find a monthly fitness goal and yous guys can help keep me on track.

I'm almost ready for bed, its late Wednesday night for me so I will kick off the woohoos

This week I am woohooing
  • Work drama settling down and being sorted out
  • Today was on target for eating again
  • Today was a rainy cooler day - after the heat we have still been having - it was a nice change - I know - we are all wishing for opposite things weather wise at the moment on our opposite sides of the world :rotfl:
  • 2 weeks until I get a week and a half off work for Easter Break

Woohoo Wednesday!

I am woohooing that I am still getting out to walk and have been trying to increase my steps as well. Meals are still working. I’m making Taco Chicken Chili today-for those doing Weight Watchers it’s 0 points!
The sun is shining again today-still a little chilly, but warmer weather is coming.

upload_2019-3-27_7-16-23.png

My new living room chair came yesterday and I'm really happy with it.
I don't have to make another business trip until April 8... it's so nice to be home for a while.
I got 98% of the overall potential of my bonus for last year, which is helping me to feel more confident about how I'm doing.
Today my calendar currently has an hour open to go out and get a proper lunch... I'm usually stuck taking "lunch" at my desk, so being able to get out of the office is a treat.

Topic Thursday -

Which of your healthy goals is the hardest for you to stick to, and why?
Meeting the 12,000 steps a day is the hardest for me. I've been doing it lately, but I really need to focus on it. The morning workouts and weekly meal planning have become habit now. But the steps goal is one I have to be a little more focused on. On work days, I can usually get between 8,000-9,000 no problem. So it's just a little more activity after school to get me to 12,000. But on the weekends, I have to plan activities to get myself up and moving.

Topic Thursday -

Consistently eating healthfully is my biggest challenge. I'm a poor planner, so I often get caught grabbing whatever is available. I don't cook. Plus I'm very self indulgent and will go for what I want at the moment instead of sticking to the healthy choices.

Mine is getting consistent workouts in. My schedule changes day to day, so I don’t have exercise in a stable spot where it becomes a habit. I have to actually think about it - which means I sometimes think myself out of it!

Mine is getting consistent workouts in. My schedule changes day to day, so I don’t have exercise in a stable spot where it becomes a habit. I have to actually think about it - which means I sometimes think myself out of it!

This is so me too - exercise and I are not friends - it all seems to hard and I reject it! Time is not on my side working full time and then running kids to/from their jobs as needed means I am tired and also do not have a consistent schedule (kids shifts change weekly). Which means that I have not met the goals I had for this month to increase activity from 1 day a week walk to more and add strength training :sad2: I am going to have to roll that goal over to next month.

Happy Friday everyone! I don't have any special recipes to share, next week I'll make a point of trying something new to post.

The past week or so I've really been thinking about vacation - when to go, what to do. I didn't think I could take another full week until August, but then realized I can probably slip away for a week in June and started to look at a couple options... I ended up booking a room at POP. I haven't stayed there since all the rooms were rehabbed, so that'll be nice. This morning I booked Hoop de Do for my birthday and got main floor for the first time, I've only ever been up on the balcony before... so Happy Birthday to me! I also booked a lunch at Brown Derby, and of course I'll eat at Flying Fish again, but love doing walk up at the bar, so don't need to do an ADR.
Now I have a concrete goal/deadline to focus on for getting some weight off, so I'm laying out healthy living plans for the next two months.

Weekend plans are the usual... household stuff and errands. I will try to get out for a nice walk.

upload_2019-3-29_7-55-25.png

Happy Friday, everyone! I’m going to post my recipe this morning because I will be out most of the day and then picking my grandson up from school for a sleepover. I hope everyone has something fun planned or is looking forward to some rest and relaxation. All you worker bees deserve some down time.
Anyway, even though the weather is getting warmer, I still like having soup in the fridge or freezer for times I don’t want to cook. Here’s one of our favorites:

Pasta Fagioli
1/2lb Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 carton chicken or beef broth
1 can small white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like the fire roasted with garlic)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 T tomato paste
3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup fresh spinach leaves

In a large saucepan cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain, remove from pan. Add oil to pan and sauté onion. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
Add broth, beans, tomatoes, oregano and tomato paste, macaroni and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until macaroni is cooked, 8-10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low, stir in sausage and spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes. Garnish with 1/2 tsp grated Parmesan if desired.

Makes 5 servings, 1 1/3 cups
228 calories, 1g sat fat, 4g sugar, 16g protein

Oneanne, your trip sounds fabulous! We were there late May/early June last year and the weather was perfect! We haven’t been to Flying Fish since it remodeled-we have a trip planned for next August with family and plan on staying at the Beach Club Villas, so it would be a quick walk over there.

My kids love these cheeseburgers - they have theirs on a roll I have mine as per recipe

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-cheese-burger

Already Saturday morning for me - DD has work today and tomorrow - boys have the weekend off - housework today - which means the washing is going to have to go through the dryer as we still have rainy weather lasting over the weekend. Meal planning and shopping. Tomorrow is my mothers birthday - so present shopping today and then tomorrow maybe a late lunch/early dinner celebration. I have to finish off a presentation for work by Monday as well - so have to find time for that.

I've really been trying to stretch my cooking skills as well as trying different types of cuisines. So this week, I tried a Korean rice dish.

Pork & Veggie Bibimbap
1 1/2 cups rice
4 scallions
4 carrots
2 zucchini
2 thumbs of ginger
4 cloves of garlic
10 tsp white wine vinegar
2 TBSP sesame oil
4 TBSP soy sauce
4 tsp sriracha
2 TBSP sugar
20 oz ground pork

Cook rice as directed.
Trim & slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
Peel carrots. Use same peeler to shave carrots lengthwise into ribbons.
Half zucchini lengthwise, then thinly slice into half moons.
Peel and mince ginger. Mince garlic.
Pickle scallions - combine scallion whites, vinegar and a pinch of salt in small bowl. Set aside.
Sauce - Combine sesame oil, half the soy sauce, up to half the sriracha, sugar, and 1 TBSP water in a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
Heat a drizzle of oil in large pan over med-high heat. Add carrot ribbons, zucchini, minced ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add another drizzle of oil to the pan. Add zucchini, season with salt and pepper. Cook about 3-5 minutes. Set aside with carrots. Heat another drizzle of oil. Add pork, ginger and garlic. Cooke, breaking meat into pieces, for about 4-5 minutes. Add remaining soy sauce, stirring, until liquid has mostly evaporated (about 1-2 minutes). Divide rice between bowls. Arrange with pork and veggies on top. Top with pickled scallion whites and liquid. Drizzle with sauce and remaining sriracha sauce (to taste...so I didn't use any ;) Sprinkle with scallion greens. Recipe says 810 calories per serving...it makes 4 servings. But we each took a good amount and there was still some left over.

We all liked it. It was probably my least favorite of all the new dishes I've tried. But it was still good. And I was actually surprised how much the kids loved this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!