Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

@Oneanne I keep trying to convince my husband that we should go to Hoop-dee-doo, but he isn't big on the dinner shows. :worried: Maybe I'll be able to convince the kids to go there with me or do a girls trip with my mom & sister sometime in the future...

I know it's not woohoo Wednesday, but I'm excited that our windows have finally arrived and the installer is coming on Monday!

As for the weekend, we have a door to paint that is also going to be installed next week and some yard work to do since it's finally nice out. I'm hoping maybe my sister will bring the baby over so we can go for a walk together. My daughter has a field hockey clinic, so I'll get some lesson plans done while I sit in the waiting area. I'm also trying to plan what else I can pack up in my classroom since we have another moving day coming up in two weeks. :(

@Oneanne, yeah for the trip planned! :jumping1:

@MickeyMom76, no need to wait for Wednesday, we'll call it "Fantastic Friday" in honor of the windows. :cheer2: It's great that they arrived!

Everyone's recipes look delicious! - This week, my healthy substitution was making scalloped potatoes from scratch. It's one of those things my mom used to make from a box, and I had just been avoiding because of DH's low-sodium diet. But I tried making them myself, and everyone loved them! (Sorry I have no straight link - I just read a bunch of recipes on line to get the general idea and sort of winged it.)

My other new recipe is more of a special occasion thing than something to put in the healthy rotation, but I figured how often does my grocery store actually have cooked lobster meat on sale? - So I'm not in danger of making it too often!

It was delicious with a big salad:
https://www.askchefdennis.com/lobster-mac-cheese-recipe/

Last edited:
April Host.jpg

Only two days left of March, and we still need someone to facilitate our discussion for April.

(It really isn't hard! - I only joined the thread in January, and I was able to do it.)

Do we have a volunteer?

@Oneanne, yeah for the trip planned! :jumping1:

@MickeyMom76, no need to wait for Wednesday, we'll call it "Fantastic Friday" in honor of the windows. :cheer2: It's great that they arrived!

Everyone's recipes look delicious! - This week, my healthy substitution was making scalloped potatoes from scratch. It's one of those things my mom used to make from a box, and I had just been avoiding because of DH's low-sodium diet. But I tried making them myself, and everyone loved them! (Sorry I have no straight link - I just read a bunch of recipes on line to get the general idea and sort of winged it.)

My other new recipe is more of a special occasion thing than something to put in the healthy rotation, but I figured how often does my grocery store actually have cooked lobster meat on sale? - So I'm not in danger of making it too often!

It was delicious with a big salad:
https://www.askchefdennis.com/lobster-mac-cheese-recipe/

This looks wonderful! I’ve ordered it in restaurants but haven’t made it myself. Maybe for my husband’s birthday. He loves lobster.

View attachment 391559

Only two days left of March, and we still need someone to facilitate our discussion for April.

(It really isn't hard! - I only joined the thread in January, and I was able to do it.)

Do we have a volunteer?

I will :)
PollyannaMom, you’ve done a fabulous job! Thank you! And everyone, thank you for all the great discussions!
Look for a new thread April 1.

Thank you @sjrec for taking the lead in April! :goodvibes
And thank you @PollyannaMom for leading us through March! You did a wonderful job! :cool1:I didn't realize you just joined the thread in January too!

Even though I joined Dis back in 2015, I've only been posting since January. And I tend to be a slower learner with technology things ;) I don't really know how to do everything like posting pics and start new threads (maybe my teens can help me). As I get more familiar with the tech piece, I promise to facilitate at some point.

...And I tend to be a slower learner with technology things ;) I don't really know how to do everything like posting pics and start new threads (maybe my teens can help me). As I get more familiar with the tech piece, I promise to facilitate at some point.

No worries! :goodvibes - I'm slow to embrace new technology as well! This is me:

late adaptor.png

Just pick things up a little at a time, and don't be afraid to ask questions - people here are really helpful!!

:thanks: To @PolyannaMom for being a wonderful March host - I can't believe it is over - well it is for me as its already Sunday morning.

:thanks: To @sjrec and @Zhoen for volunteering to keep us on track for the next 2 months

Checking in on my goals for the month:

Goal 1: to move from 1 day of walking to 2
Goal 2: to do some strength training 2 days per week.

:scared::sad2::rolleyes1 should say it all - I really dropped the ball here - I still only had 1 day of walking and for the last 2 weeks that didn't even happen due to weather and schedule. Also I did not act to include strength training at all! I will refocus today and I am going to roll these over with more determination for April.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend and that you having some great weather to enjoy it in. I have woken up to a blue sunny sky which is wonderful after lots of rain the last few days! Although it looks like we are expecting rain again from Tuesday and then for most of the week :scared1: Looks like I may need to find a cardio alternative to walking just in case weather works against me - I am thinking of finding a dance clip I can dance along to as an option.

Hello, Dearies!

I've just been catching up on all you've been up to while I've been away. All that cruise talk has me feeling seasick!!! (I love the idea of a cruise in theory, but the only one I ever did was an overcrowded little tub from Florida to Grand Bahama and back on a school day trip. The weather was good, and I'm glad I went, but ugh... I had been on boats all my life and that *STILL* made me sick...) My parents have been a bunch of times on a Carribean cruise that my mother likes, maybe someday. H loves the idea, but I bet in reality he'd be sick as a dog.

Yesterday I took DD to see Gone with the Wind at the theatre. It is a 4 hour movie and I was not sure how she would like it. I was shocked. She really liked it.

I remember checking this movie out from the library as a young teen and just *HATING* it. I was too young to appreciate a story where the main character is so flawed... I kept thinking Scarlett was awful and why wasn't the story about Melanie, who was nice. Then, about 10 years ago, I was on a work trip to Atlanta, and there were all these references to the book around, so I read the book, and it was really interesting, a lot of stuff that didn't make it into the movie, and ideas that the movie just didn't portray well. The only thing with that is that you have to realize that Margaret Mitchell said she was 12 years old before her deep-south family finally told her that the South LOST the war, and a lot of things in the book are drawn from stories she heard as a child, so for Americans who have been told "the war was about slavery, all southerners were slave owners and bad and all slaves were happy to be liberated and everything was great once the north won," there are a lot of challenging ideas and perspectives that don't make it into the modern rhetoric. I'm glad I read it, but I still don't like the movie all that much.

DH's and I went to different Civil War battle sites for our first vacation. This was before we were married. We didn't plan anything other then the sites we wanted to see. We both new how much money we could spend and just kept track of it. We started off at Gettysburg, then to Frederickburg, VA and also 2 other battle fields in the area. I just can't remember the names. Then we went into Richmond, VA. We would just roll into a town and find a hotel room.

Hehe! This reminds me of when my husband broke his leg. We went on a day trip to go skiing near Gettysburg, and he broke his leg on the BUNNY SLOPE!!! DD15 was just a toddler then, so I had to dash home, grab her from daycare, pack her a bag and leave her with my sister for a couple days while he had surgery in this TINY little hospital that might as well have been from the civil war... but then I got DD and we stayed at a little hotel nearby that was next to the Jenny Wade house, It was January and the town was dead, so I was really surprised when we came back during the summer in nicer weather and the whole place was just CRAWLING with tourists... totally different experience. I agree with you, though... I love to plan and plan some more, but the best experiences are the once with serendipity.

I wasn't feeling all that woohooey - but then I remembered I bought a new outfit on the weekend to wear to the comedy festival - and for a change I found some clothes relatively quickly that were a good fit, looked good and I felt good wearing it. It was just some coloured jeans and a black top - but even though I don't really think I have officially dropped a dress size yet - the pants were smaller than previous recent sizing - but they did have stretch in them and the top was flattering. So woohoo - it has been a while since I was happy with an outfit I have bought - I usually just settle for the least worst!

It's so great when something actually looks and feels good!!!

I continue to be motivated by my July Disney trip. We were talking about magic band colors this weekend, so it sort of brought a new spark of excitement.

**JEALOUS**!!!!

Thanks @Zhoen for stepping up for April and thanks @sjrec for taking the lead in May.

End of the month goal progress:
*continue daily workout routine, but bump up the weights - done (even had to buy new weights)
*Meet 12,000 daily steps goal on Fitbit at least 5 out of 7 days per week - done (and met 10,000 steps all but one day for March)
*continue "walking to Disney" with the goal of making 1048 miles by July Disney trip - Walked 447 miles so far in Jan-Mar
*meal plan for the week with one new healthy recipe each week - Did meal prep each Sunday and tried one new recipe each week (taking this week off since Apr starts tomorrow)
*lose 5 pounds this month - Just barely met this one, but it might have been a little ambitious. I've lost a total of 21 pounds since starting in Jan.

Looking forward to setting some new goals for April.

Great job @MickeyMom76 and everybody!!

:cool1: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2: :cool1:

I met my goals this month as well:
For this month, I want to keep up with my previous goals - exercise and drinking enough water - and add in cooking some more creative meals.

I'm in a better (if not yet prefect) exercise pattern and made my 500 minutes from the other thread!
I'm also doing well with water most days, and reporting on Fridays has perked up my cooking motivation. :stir:

It's been a pleasure organizing this month, and I'm looking forward to seeing where Zhoen and sjrec take us in April and May!

Big thanks to @MickeyMom76 for the great job hosting March and to @Zhoen for picking up April and @sjrec for May.

March goals... yah, not so great. Pretty consistent with the water consumption, pretty consistently below goal for the steps and no weight lost.

It was another nice weather weekend: Sunday felt freakishly summer-like, possibly because I finally mowed the lawn. It was a good food weekend as well, as I ate pretty healthfully. The last few weeks I've had issues with tender feet and swollen ankles again, and have been trying to figure out what the trigger is. I finally came up with the thought that it might be the chicken/eggs sensitivity again. Saturday morning I had eggs for breakfast and almost immediately my ankles started to tingle, so I stayed away from both the rest of the weekend and my feet/ankles are almost back to normal. Dang, chicken is my favorite form of animal protein, but at least I know.

I've been trying to read a book a month this year, and over the weekend realized it was almost the end of the month and I hadn't started my March book, so I picked up "Love Warrior" which was next in my queue and just gobbled it up, finishing Sunday morning. Wow, what a book, it really hit home on so many levels. Here are a couple inspirational words to kick off April with.

upload_2019-4-1_8-2-37.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts