Lyft/Uber from SFB at midnight?

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
We’re flying into SFB in a couple weeks (direct flight and much cheaper). Due to holidays, car rental is pricey, so I was thinking we could lyft or Uber to our Disney area hotel. BUT, I’m not sure how availability will be there at midnight. We’ll need an XL, so I can’t use the “schedule in advance” option for lyft. Should we just rent the car? I already have one reserved but was thinking about canceling. Or will lyft/Uber be available that late so we can skip the rental? Thanks!

Download the Lyft/Uber apps now. Around midnight, open them up and set your pickup location to SFB. You'll be able to see how many cars are nearby on a random night and be able to make your decision.

Download the Lyft/Uber apps now. Around midnight, open them up and set your pickup location to SFB. You'll be able to see how many cars are nearby on a random night and be able to make your decision.
That means I have to stay up until midnight, lol. The thought did cross my mind, but was hoping to get some personal experiences here, but I’ll definitely look on the app a couple nights as well.

I just looked, and there was one XL car. 26 minutes away.
Most experienced Uber drivers won't accept a pickup 26 minutes away. Lyft drivers might because they typically have further to drive to pickup. OTOH, if they are out at midnight, they're looking for business.

Personally, I don't know what airline you're flying, but I'd be more concerned about the possibility of a flight cancellation with nothing but bad options.

Also, the # of cars available today (or any other day) isn't necessarily a predictor of how many cars will be on the road the night when you need them. A "timing" test like this won't account for seasonality, weather, and so forth.

You are probably safer with the rental.

Most experienced Uber drivers won't accept a pickup 26 minutes away. Lyft drivers might because they typically have further to drive to pickup. OTOH, if they are out at midnight, they're looking for business.

Personally, I don't know what airline you're flying, but I'd be more concerned about the possibility of a flight cancellation with nothing but bad options.
Thanks! We’re flying Allegiant directly and no weather issues in sight, but the late arrival does concern me. I’ve confirmed with the car rental company that they will have someone at the counter that late (even if the flight is delayed), so keepingbthe rental is probably best.

Also, the # of cars available today (or any other day) isn't necessarily a predictor of how many cars will be on the road the night when you need them. A "timing" test like this won't account for seasonality, weather, and so forth.

Thank you for your input! I think we’ll keep the rental/

I mean, obviously it's not a predictor. Of course not. But it helps to be able to on a certain day how many cars are around at the time you'd like to leave.

Thanks! We’re flying Allegiant directly and no weather issues in sight
Just keep in mind that weather issues are not the only issue that could occur, and also weather issues do NOT have to be where you are starting or your destination.

Either weather or equipment or crew issues could affect your incoming flight and could mess up your flight.
I’ve confirmed with the car rental company that they will have someone at the counter that late (even if the flight is delayed), so keeping the rental is probably best.
OK. So you have U/L as an option and have the bases covered with the rental car. Sounds like a plan to me.

FWIW -- if you're not absolutely exhausted, the drive from SFB to WDW will not be that difficult at midnight.

I mean, obviously it's not a predictor. Of course not. But it helps to be able to on a certain day how many cars are around at the time you'd like to leave.

I simply don't see how it's helpful. Knowing how many cars are on the road at midnight tonight doesn't help me know how many might be on the road at midnight 6 months from now. It's not a data point that I would factor into this decision if I were the one making it.

I simply don't see how it's helpful. Knowing how many cars are on the road at midnight tonight doesn't help me know how many might be on the road at midnight 6 months from now. It's not a data point that I would factor into this decision if I were the one making it.

OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter