Magic Band or Card

kassonvike

Mouseketeer
So I booked January 2021 way back in July and we picked our magic bands and they were still free at that time. Now we had to change a name on our reservation and when I submitted the change we lost our magic band order and they now cost money. Ok, I'm ok with that but I can't find any options or detail on what are alternatives are if we don't want to pay for the bands. I assume my smart phone will work but no one else in our 8 member party has MDE set up. I keep seeing them reference magic bands or card on the web pages but I see nothing anywhere on how/where/when I get a card. Does it cost money? I'd like to at least give all the members of our party a card or something that will enable them to enter/exit parks/hotel on their own.

Are they basically just the old key to the world cards? Just pick them up in the resort lobby? They will have park tickets on them too?

I've learned to like the bands might just shell out the $5 each but if everyone can get a card that does the exact same thing I might just do that.

So I booked January 2021 way back in July and we picked our magic bands and they were still free at that time. Now we had to change a name on our reservation and when I submitted the change we lost our magic band order and they now cost money. Ok, I'm ok with that but I can't find any options or detail on what are alternatives are if we don't want to pay for the bands. I assume my smart phone will work but no one else in our 8 member party has MDE set up. I keep seeing them reference magic bands or card on the web pages but I see nothing anywhere on how/where/when I get a card. Does it cost money? I'd like to at least give all the members of our party a card or something that will enable them to enter/exit parks/hotel on their own.

Are they basically just the old key to the world cards? Just pick them up in the resort lobby? They will have park tickets on them too?

I've learned to like the bands might just shell out the $5 each but if everyone can get a card that does the exact same thing I might just do that.
Yeah you can always get key to the world cards at the front desk. That’s the cards they’re referring to.

Just don't count on the phone app to work consistently. I tried to use it at POP last week and it NEVER worked. We also had a huge issue with magic bands. Without fail, each day someone's magic band (that had worked before) would fail. I was locked out of the room 3 different times. Trips to the front desk fixed it for the minute but fixing one problem caused problems somewhere else down the line.

Just don't count on the phone app to work consistently. I tried to use it at POP last week and it NEVER worked. We also had a huge issue with magic bands. Without fail, each day someone's magic band (that had worked before) would fail. I was locked out of the room 3 different times. Trips to the front desk fixed it for the minute but fixing one problem caused problems somewhere else down the line.
Sorry not laughing at your recent magical fun But at the announcement Today of new shop & pay merchandise APP announced ... and just show phone QR Code as exit the Disney Store... with your stuff

Magic Band > Card

Still remember back in 2013 when I was in a test group for Magic Bands and FP+ it was night and day over needing to use the card as its just there on your wrist.

Magic Band > Card

Still remember back in 2013 when I was in a test group for Magic Bands and FP+ it was night and day over needing to use the card as its just there on your wrist.
Just a note:
OP's trip is next month. There is no FP+

Last edited:

Magic Band > Card

Agree which is why I wonder about this plan where disney is talking about having the app replace MB. having people stand in the FP line getting to the right screen and so forth would be brutal but of course we don't know what form FP will take when/if it returns.

Agree which is why I wonder about this plan where disney is talking about having the app replace MB. having people stand in the FP line getting to the right screen and so forth would be brutal but of course we don't know what form FP will take when/if it returns.

They would likely require a Phone with NFC. That way no app would need to be on and it would simply be the phone being tapped on the spot that a MB would be.

I can't imagine they remove Magic Bands but maybe they will to force usage of the App since they possibly can upsell you more inside the app. I am okay with the App as long as we don't go back to the physical cards and it works....

Issue is once they force App usage they would become phone tech support in the parks.

They would likely require a Phone with NFC. That way no app would need to be on and it would simply be the phone being tapped on the spot that a MB would be.

I can't imagine they remove Magic Bands but maybe they will to force usage of the App since they possibly can upsell you more inside the app. I am okay with the App as long as we don't go back to the physical cards and it works....

Issue is once they force App usage they would become phone tech support in the parks.

I don't think they'll force app usage but it appears they may be moving toward use the app for free or pay for a MB.

Even with a MB I'm still in the app all the time checking wait times, fastpasses, maps, and so forth. but when walking up to a ride or the gate, MB is just so easy to can and move on.

Agree which is why I wonder about this plan where disney is talking about having the app replace MB.

Disney has NEVER said that they are replacing MBs with the app.

They have indicated that some of the functions may be added to MDE, as well as being part of Genie (which they've already said would be a pay to pay app). But anything done via a phone will not be as stable, across the board, as a device (MB) that is specifically designed to use on the Disney infrastructure platform.

Magic Bands are not going away. If they were, why would they continue to release multiple new designs, including limited edition ones, on almost a daily basis. MBs have now entered the realm of collectible merch - ala pins, ears and T-shirts.

Free MBs are gone, as Disney no longer needs to give them away to assure adoption. MBs are now a serious revenue stream. They ain't gonna cut that off!

Steve

Disney has NEVER said that they are replacing MBs with the app.

They have indicated that some of the functions may be added to MDE, as well as being part of Genie (which they've already said would be a pay to pay app). But anything done via a phone will not be as stable, across the board, as a device (MB) that is specifically designed to use on the Disney infrastructure platform.

Magic Bands are not going away. If they were, why would they continue to release multiple new designs, including limited edition ones, on almost a daily basis. MBs have now entered the realm of collectible merch - ala pins, ears and T-shirts.

Free MBs are gone, as Disney no longer needs to give them away to assure adoption. MBs are now a serious revenue stream. They ain't gonna cut that off!

Steve

No that haven't stated that directly but it was implied in the announcement of no more free magic bands that they think they can move a lot of that functionaality to the app. We'll have to see what form that all takes and yes Genie is where I expect it to go. One reason I don't think we are going to see any version of FP returning until Genie is ready - that will be the new FP system.

Going to be interesting to see what the future holds

No that haven't stated that directly but it was implied in the announcement of no more free magic bands that they think they can move a lot of that functionaality to the app. We'll have to see what form that all takes and yes Genie is where I expect it to go. One reason I don't think we are going to see any version of FP returning until Genie is ready - that will be the new FP system.

Going to be interesting to see what the future holds

I didn't read that announcement that way at all. I read it as two separate items (that just happened to be munged together in the same paragraph). No more free MBs. Some functionality being provided via smart phones.

My thought on the smart phone part was that they were trying to somewhat accommodate that percentage of the population that lives 100% on their phone. Not that they particularly are trying to move folks in that direction.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Personally, I find the bands to be a simple and useful solution. I would really dislike having to pull out my phone every time I wanted to do something.

Steve

I didn't read that announcement that way at all. I read it as two separate items (that just happened to be munged together in the same paragraph). No more free MBs. Some functionality being provided via smart phones.

My thought on the smart phone part was that they were trying to somewhat accommodate that percentage of the population that lives 100% on their phone. Not that they particularly are trying to move folks in that direction.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Personally, I find the bands to be a simple and useful solution. I would really dislike having to pull out my phone every time I wanted to do something.

Steve

I read it more as "since phones can do a lot of what MBs do now we don't need to give them away for free". But right now who knows and who knows how covid is going to chage whatever plans were being planned.

I do agree and like the convience of the magicband. Simple and easy to use.

If you choose to go with the card, get a lanyard with a clear pouch to put it in. :)
I am spoiled with the MBs I wish I could use them outside disney.
We are currently at a holiday inn and they have the tap cards to open the door.. I so badly want my magic band to work to open the door.

Not sure where to post:

Looking for advice on visiting Disney Springs during the week between Xmas and New Years Eve. Would love to book a dinner there, but overall, want to get IN and OUT during the least crowded times. Also, is there a strategy to do the Christmas Tree Stroll (time of day to lessen crowds)?

Are there any other scavenger hunt activities going on in DS?

Advice on parking......we've never had a car in WDW before and I'm not familiar with the garages. Are they free?

Last - I saw somewhere else someone was able to order curbside pick up for some of the restaurants in DS? Is that true?

Thanks!

Christmas equals very busy and tons of people. I would rope drop DS or go early and do lunch instead of dinner on a weekday. MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW! No strategy needed it's a big outdoor mall. You can shop until you drop, stroll down the paths and people watch. Our must do's at DS is go to Ghirardelli's for their Chocolate milk shake...TO DIE FOR!! Yummy chocolate goodness. Next if you're a newcomer is the Coca Cola store. Go to the top bar and try the Around the World Tray. You get to sample 10-15 Coke samples from around the world. Top lunch pick for us Ragland Road!

Garage parking is FREE. This is another reason I would RD DS. They close the garages when they reach capacity.

Christmas equals very busy and tons of people. I would rope drop DS or go early and do lunch instead of dinner on a weekday. MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW! No strategy needed it's a big outdoor mall. You can shop until you drop, stroll down the paths and people watch. Our must do's at DS is go to Ghirardelli's for their Chocolate milk shake...TO DIE FOR!! Yummy chocolate goodness. Next if you're a newcomer is the Coca Cola store. Go to the top bar and try the Around the World Tray. You get to sample 10-15 Coke samples from around the world. Top lunch pick for us Ragland Road!

Garage parking is FREE. This is another reason I would RD DS. They close the garages when they reach capacity.
THANK YOU!!!!! So what time is Rope Drop for DS???? We will be there if so!

I agree with the above poster, go right when it opens on a weekday and make a lunch reservation. It’s so crowded during the holiday season!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter