Magic Express or Personal Driver from airport?

TheCakePopLady

Mouseketeer
We are going in January 2018. This will be my first time and my kids first time to WDW. My best friend is going with us and she's been many times before. She said she's done both means of transportation from the airport and prefers a personal driver to be there to pick her up and take her directly to the resort, but also said since it's our first time I might want my kids to experience the ME. She warned me that there may be a wait to get on the ME and said she will do whatever I decide.

For first timers, is the ME a fun experience? My girls will be 6 and 11 years old when we travel.

Thoughts?

We love ME because it is easy. We've never waited more than 10 minutes to get on a bus and we don't worry about getting our luggage because it "magically" appears in our room. I wouldn't waste the money on a car service. Wait wise you break even because you will have to wait for bags. Our last ME trip we walked right on the bus and it left right away.

DME is a great service as long as you understand what it is - a free coach bus that services lots of guest to many resorts and has a few TV's showing Disney promos. We like it - we have never waited long for a bus either way or stopped at more than two resorts on the way and we love the luggage delivery feature.

If your friend prefers a town car however he/she may not feel the same - imho I would rather save the $150/200 and use dme if going to a Disney resort. Going to Universal or an offsite resort we do like the convenience and personal service of a town car but it isn't necessary for us at Disney.

We are going in January 2018. This will be my first time and my kids first time to WDW. My best friend is going with us and she's been many times before. She said she's done both means of transportation from the airport and prefers a personal driver to be there to pick her up and take her directly to the resort, but also said since it's our first time I might want my kids to experience the ME. She warned me that there may be a wait to get on the ME and said she will do whatever I decide.

For first timers, is the ME a fun experience? My girls will be 6 and 11 years old when we travel.

Thoughts?
My son loves ME for the cartoons & the video about WDW. It really does get you in the Disney mood. The bus has plush seats, footrests, and is very clean & comfortable.

We've used a town car service a few times, but didn't like it as much. Once the driver was late, and once the driver was playing radio music & I had to ask him to turn it off. That same driver kept telling my son about how great the rides were at Universal, even though he knew we were going to Disney...

Never had to wait long for a Magical Express bus to depart. Our experiences with it have been good. Love, love, love that using ME your check-in bags will be sent straight to your resort room, too.

Last edited:

I'd say to go with Florida Tours. If you're itching to get your Disney on as quick as possible once you're off the plane at MCO, having them pick you up is the best way to do it. We've used them several times now. They track your flight and contact you if needed (we had a flight number change on us and didn't even notice it, so they called us to make sure it was the right flight number) and the cars are clean, drivers are professional and informative too. How are you staying? If you wanted to do a quick grocery stop, FL Tours also offers that as well. So you don't have to totally get slammed by the park food/beverage prices.

I mean, the ME is an option, but you could wind up being the last stop. I know I wouldn't want to wait that long watching everyone else get off and starting their fun while I'm still on the bus.

We have never used ME. I'm way too impatient, and riding a coach bus while stopping at 3 resorts isn't my idea of a fun way to start my vacation. I also don't want to get picked up 3 hours before our departing flight on our last day.

Our next trip is July so we're going to use über or a Town Car/SUV. We also like a quick grocery stop to get some cheaper snacks.

We have never used ME. I'm way too impatient, and riding a coach bus while stopping at 3 resorts isn't my idea of a fun way to start my vacation. I also don't want to get picked up 3 hours before our departing flight on our last day.

Our next trip is July so we're going to use über or a Town Car/SUV. We also like a quick grocery stop to get some cheaper snacks.

Just a clarification for OP, if you *do* take DME from airport->Disney and dislike it, you don't need to take it on the way back when going home. (You'll just want to call and let them know you don't need the return ride, then call a personal car, ride hail service, or cab.) Roundtrip is free for Disney resort guests, but you can do either, both, or no leg if you want.

Last edited:

Just a clarification for OP, if you *do* take DME airport->Disney and dislike it, you don't need to take it on the way back when going home. (You'll just want to call and let them know you don't need the return ride, then call a personal car, ride hail service, or cab.) Roundtrip is free for Disney resort guests, but you can do either, both, or no leg if you want.

All true - but...

With a town car on the inbound add 20 + minutes to pick up your bags, if you arrive late afternoon, early evening and hit a thunderstorm make that 2 hours !

On the outbound a town car saves "us" 30 minutes at most for an $85/90 plus tip one way fare! IME for the pick up they pick you up 2 1/2 hours prior to flight time vs DME at 3 hours. And FWIW even with TSA Pre we often need every minute of that "2 hours prior" to get through security and to the gate on time. 85 isn't worth 30 mins for us.

Put me in the personal driver camp. We took DME our first few times but now use Tiffany Towncare each time. The driver meets us at baggage claim and helps gather bags. Hired cars have a special parking lane where they park which is super convenient, just an elevator ride and few steps away from baggage claim.

We mainly do it for the time savings - we can be at the resort in 30ish mins each and every time with the only variable being traffic. One other major factor for me is the return time - I'm not a fan of the 3 hour in advance return time going home for ME, that leaves WAY too much time siting around the airport for us (I do enough of that IRL). With a driver I can control the return time pick up to something that works better for us.

ME is a great service and you can't beat that it's free for sure, I just enjoy trips a bit more with a hired car.

We love the magical express. One of my favorite parts of a Disney trip. We have never waited longer than 30 minutes and even then you are in line with other Disney travelers full of excitement! My daughter likes to watch the tv. We enjoy not having to worry about the luggage

One other major factor for me is the return time - I'm not a fan of the 3 hour in advance return time going home for ME, that leaves WAY too much time siting around the airport for us (I do enough of that IRL).
You can always tell DME that you have a later flight than you actually have so that you can take a later bus. Luggage is sent back via Resort Airline Check-In (a separate service), so that won't make a difference.

You can always tell DME that you have a later flight than you actually have so that you can take a later bus. Luggage is sent back via Resort Airline Check-In (a separate service), so that won't make a difference.

Yeah, I know and that's a good point. Too much brain damage for me though. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my real flight. :-)

I have nothing against ME at all - I'm sure we'll use it for certain trips in the future. I guess we just tend to be more like OP's friend.

There's a little bit of fun in the DME experience with the CM greeting you at the airport with the big white Mickey hands, the fun buses with the jazzy upholstery and the video shown during the drive which might be fun for your kids. But you may have to make several stops at other resorts before you get to your own. But I think a personal ride all your own is pretty cool as an adult and you can make a quick grocery stop!

Although Disney is not responsible for missed in this instance.
Of course. You're always the responsible party for your flight, anyway. But naturally, be careful. If you use Resort Airline Check-In and TSA Pre-Check, you have less to worry about.

When traveling from MCO to WDW, we use ME. We love the convenience and enjoy the ride. As others have stated, you could be the first or last stop. No way to know ahead of time. Seeing there isn't an additional fee, we feel it's worth using. More money to spend on vacation!

When traveling from WDW to PC for cruise, we use Florida Tours.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your vacation!

Personally after several bad experiences with the Orlando car services I think I would never use them again. (One if them had a fight with his wife in the phone where the kids learned an entire new vocabulary)

I had always been one to pick up a rental car and drive because I didn't like the idea of waiting just to get to my resort. When my fiancé and I went on our trip in 2015, he talked me into the ME and using Disney transportation for our trip. ( He drives all night long for work and didn't relish the idea of driving while on vacation ). I have to say I LOVED ME! We're going again next year and we'll be using it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!