Magic Kingdom questions??????

momofqueenie

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first trip to Disney on October 8. We are going to the Magic Kingdom on Monday October 11(Columbus Day). We are staying off site, so we will be driving our car to the park. After we park, where do we need to go to catch the monorail? My 5 year old son is looking forward to riding on it. I know there are different routes the monorail takes, but I am not sure which one we need to be on.

Also, where is the best place to eat in the magic kingdom? We hope to spend as much time as possible touring the park, so we will probably do a counter service. A friend of mine told me that the Crystal Palace and the Liberty Tree Tavern were expensive and the food was not that great. What do you all think? Any suggestions for places to eat or things not to miss would be greatly appreciated.

We will be using the 2 day UG touring guide. We will be there on October 11 and again on October 13.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

When you park your car in the Magic Kingdom parking lot, you'll have to take either the monorail or a ferry to get over to the Magic Kingdom, so you can be sure that your 5 year old witll get a ride on it :)

If you take the monorail at an off peak time, you can ask to sit in the front. You may have to wait a train or two, but your son will love it, and he will get a monorail co-pilots license, too :)

Crystal Palace is a buffet, and Liberty Tree Tavern is a sit down family style restaurant. If you want counter service, you may want to choose Cosmic Rays for a wide variety of options. It's near the Tomorrowland Speedway. I also love Pecos Bill's cafe for burgers--great condiment bar there :)

Have a great trip!

Karen

If you are driving to MK you will park at TTC and then take the monorail to the park. If you wanted to after you leave the park, you can take the one to the resorts and it stops at Contemporary, Poly, GF, and TTC. Its a nice way to see those resorts...

Personally at MK we enjoy--for counter service--at Columbia Harbor House. Its usually pretty quiet, its pretty big so you can find a spot away from everyone, and the food is pretty good. We were there a week ago and was impressed that Disney has added sandwiches and stuff to the menu--not just burgers and hot dogs. You can also get fish and chips there and DH thinks they are pretty good. Just an idea.

Have fun! Enjoy!

I thought the breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace was very good food, and it seemed to be a little cheaper than some of the other character meals. If you make this your main meal of the day, you really can get your money's worth. I found that the Counter Service costs added up very fast though I do like Cosmic Ray's. On a typical day, we eat one sit down meal, one counter service meal and then eat snacks and drinks that we bring in ourselves. You can also save a little money if you split some of the counter service meals, like the roasted chicken at Cosmic Ray's.

Let me second the suggestion that you try Columbia Harbor House (especially if someone in the party likes fish). The sandwiches and clam chowder are especially good and there are often many empty tables upstairs so it's nice and quiet.

Yes, your son will get to ride the monorail and he doesn't have to ride up front to enjoy it, though that's an added perk (I wouldn't wait for it, myself, though some do).

Have a good time!

Took

My favorite place to eat at MK is Casey's. It is hot dogs and french fries and for some reason it has always been my favorite. We have eaten just about everywhere and to me this is definitely the place! Maybe it's because you get to sit outside in the warm FL sunshine, eating, people-watching and looking at the castle. Being from Michigan, the heat is a big thing for me!

We always eat at Cosmic Rays. There are plenty of options for all of us and last year they even had PB&J (a big hit with a 4 year old). They also have a fixin's bar, plenty of air conditioned seating, lots of BR stalls, and entertainment. We aren't the sit down meal kind of folks while in the parks, we'd rather be on rides. On our honeymoon in 1990, we ate at Pinocchio Village Haus and I remember it being very good, the kids just enjoy Cosmic Rays.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Being from Louisiana, we find some of the food at WDW (and most other places) to be kind of bland. We usually stick to fast food. We love the burgers at Pecos Bill. It is in Frontierland.

For bfast, try the Crystal Palace character breakfast. If you can get it, get the PS that is BEFORE the official opening of the park. You get to walk down Main St with VERY few people.

As for a faster lunch/dinner, there is a place around the corner from Small World. You can get a table overlooking the ride. My son loved staring at the people getting on and off the boats.

Another option for sit down is Tony's right when you get in the park on the right (main st.)...if you're lucky, you can get a table outside and watch the parade go by.

After you park, it is very clearly marked in which direction to go to board the monorail into MK. You should be fine.

For counter service, I would say Cosmic Rays. They have a huge selection of food, and you can split food there too. You can get a double cheeseburger & an extra roll, then load up on the toppings at the WONDERFUL fixin's bar. We like to watch the Sonny Eclipse show while we eat. And it's nice and cool.

I have also eaten at the Columbia Harbor House, which is good food. I'm glad to hear they've added to their menu.

Here is a good link with menus within MK:
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm#mk

Have a great time!

I like cosmic ray's variety of choices of food and I love the show. I know the jokes are corney and always the same but we have to go at least twice during out week stay.

Hi momofqueenie,

First, thanks for reading the Unofficial Guide. Feel free to email me if you have other questions on the book: len@touringplans.com.

As TLinden16 notes, you'll take the monorail from the Magic Kingdom parking lot to the Magic Kingdom entrance. I believe that monorail is called the "express" monorail, as opposed to the "resort" monorail that serves the Magic Kingdom hotels. (Thanks Karen!)

For lunch at the Magic Kingdom on Day 1, you should be nearest the Columbia Harbor House if you're following the Unofficial Guide's two-day touring plan. Took's recommendation for an upstairs table is sound advice, as it's frequently less crowded than downstairs.

On Day 2, you'll be closest to Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn and Cafe, my choice as the best counter-service restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. I'm partial to the wraps, but the burgers aren't bad either. Pecos Bill's has ample seating and good air-conditioning, too.

Thanks again for reading the Unofficial Guide.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter