Magical Express and Customs (coming from Canada)

DisneyDillyDally

Mouseketeer
Hi there - arriving in Orlando from Canada and will clear customs there. Do we have to collect our checked luggage in Orlando to go through customs? Thanks in advance, this is the first time we are not coming through Toronto and clearing US customs before arriving in Orlando.

Hi there - arriving in Orlando from Canada and will clear customs there. Do we have to collect our checked luggage in Orlando to go through customs? Thanks in advance, this is the first time we are not coming through Toronto and clearing US customs before arriving in Orlando.

Yeah, you'll need to collect your luggage upon arrival in MCO to clear customs and walk them to the magical express bus.

Out of curiosity where are you flying out of, I thought most airports in Canada had US preclearance.

Last edited:
If you have to clear or reclear customs arriving in Orlando (at MCO) the normal procedure is the same as clearing customs at a previous connection point. The precise mechanics may be slightly different, for example you put the cleared bags on another conveyor belt versus hand them to an agent.

Occasionally there are irregularities. You might be required to put the bags on the other conveyor belt, and re-reclaim them at the carousels if you were not going to Disney via Magical Express. Or you might be required to take your bags out of customs, onto the airport tram, and to wherever you are going.

Last edited:

Thanks. And because of your comment I checked with the domestic airport and you were right, they have customs on the Canadian side.

Thanks. And because of your comment I checked with the domestic airport and you were right, they have customs on the Canadian side.

Just thought I would pass on my experience to answer your original question in case anyone finds this thread in the future. We fly from Regina where there is no US Customs Preclearance. When we got to MCO last time, we cleared customs, collected luggage, exit customs area. Up the escalator to the monorail to the main terminal. Apparently there is an option to have your luggage transferred to the terminal but we didn’t find it an issue to take it ourselves and didn’t want the added wait.

Last edited:

Oh, I am glad I saw this! This is my first time flying into MCO (coming from London, Ontario airport). I see from the above post you go through customs and you have to collect your luggage before you exit the customs area... So, my question is, would I use the yellow ME luggage tags at all then? Just carry it with me to the bus and give it to them when I get on with no tags or do they still need to see those?

Just thought I would pass on my experience to answer your original question in case anyone finds this thread in the future. We fly from Regina where there is no US Customs Preclearance. When we got to MCO last time, we cleared customs, collected luggage, exit customs area. Up the escalator to the monorail to the main terminal. Apparently there is an option to have your luggage transferred to the terminal but we didn’t find it an issue to take it ourselves and didn’t want the added wait.

Yes - we once agreed to have the luggage transferred to the main terminal and it turned into quite a long wait. Not something I would do again.

Oh, I am glad I saw this! This is my first time flying into MCO (coming from London, Ontario airport). I see from the above post you go through customs and you have to collect your luggage before you exit the customs area... So, my question is, would I use the yellow ME luggage tags at all then? Just carry it with me to the bus and give it to them when I get on with no tags or do they still need to see those?

If you have to collect you bags then you would not use the yellow DME tags as they would not do any good.

As the bus driver is handling you bags don't forget to tip them for doing so.

I don’t know the answer, but I would put them on. They have your hotel name on them I think? Which may be helpful to the driver?

The yellow tags are of no use at all in your case. And as pp says they are of no use to the driver either. You will be assigned to a bus going to your resort and your bags put in the space for your resort under the bus.

I would say to avoid any problems (likely nine but you never know) do not put them on your luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!