Magical Express - no seats?

I doubt that Disney has a direct say into how many buses Mears schedules and which Guests Mears' drivers allow on the bus.
I'd be surprised if those items aren't in the contract or the operating policy of Disney's agreement w/Mears. IMO, the driver messed up. His supervisors need to know that so they can train him on what the correct procedures are. Guests experience problems with ME should contact Disney to report their problems. Disney should then contact Mears.

Currently sitting on DME to the airport. And by "sitting," I mean crosslegged on the floor near the restroom ... because the bus ran out of seats.

Is this a new norm? Three of us are having a little floor party back here (and I'm pretty much praying we don't crash.) In all of my DME trips, I've never had this happen.

One of our recent trips the ME was FULL, and DH, DS and I all were scattered on the bus.

There is no way on earth that I would have gotten on the bus if I had to sit on the floor. It's NOT going to ever happen, and the bus driver and I would have been having a discussion about that and I would not have been happy at all. I don't think it's safe, and it's probably against Mear's regulations.

Safety is supposed to be one of Disney's "keys," followed by efficiency, but I fear the two have been flipped recently. Of course, statistically speaking, I was probably safer on that bus than in a passenger vehicle... but that doesn't make it okay.

Oh, I love this line-I sure hope you used it! I remember when we were on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and the CM kept saying, really emphasizing how safety was Disney's #1 concern. And I hope you feel better soon.

I would equate the safety of standing on a Magical Express bus comparable to standing on a Disney Transport bus to the theme park.

As far as policy, training, and contracts go (or don't go), once in a blue moon overfull DME buses back to the airport have been with us ever since day one of DME.

I heartily disagree that, when it comes to getting guests back to the airport on time, Disney can say that if you are not satisfied with DME after following the instructions, then go find another way.

In terms of compensation, it would take about $100. cash to extend a typical vacation of a family of four by two days. Meanwhile, clerks not too high up can quickly throw out a single comp (non-upgradable) one day ticket which in some usage cases is worth over $100. and no heads upstairs would roll e.g. Disney neglecting to bring it up with Mears after the guest brought it up with Disney. I, personally, would prefer extra fast passes for compensation except that there are no ducats or other physical proof of holding such privilege when I arrive for my next vacation.

Last edited:

I would equate the safety of standing on a Magical Express bus comparable to standing on a Disney Transport bus to the theme park.

Except regular buses are DESIGNED for standing. That's why they have poles, bars and other things to hold onto. Coach buses are NOT designed for standing and have none of these safety things for standing riders to hold.

As far as policy, training, and contracts go (or don't go), once in a blue moon overfull DME buses back to the airport have been with us ever since day one of DME.

I heartily disagree that, when it comes to getting guests back to the airport on time, Disney can say that if you are not satisfied with DME after following the instructions, then go find another way.

In terms of compensation, it would take about $100. cash to extend a typical vacation of a family of four by two days. Meanwhile, clerks not too high up can quickly throw out a single comp (non-upgradable) one day ticket which in some usage cases is worth over $100. and no heads upstairs would roll e.g. Disney neglecting to bring it up with Mears after the guest brought it up with Disney. I, personally, would prefer extra fast passes for compensation except that there are no ducats or other physical proof of holding such privilege when I arrive for my next vacation.
1)OP wasn't standing, she was sitting.
2) Tell me where you vacation for an extra two days for a family of four for $100. No place I want to stay, that's for sure!

Regular Disney buses are built, designed, for standing. A tour bus, such as a DME bus, isn't. There is supposed to be a seat for each guest scheduled on a particular bus. If something awful happened, and a guest was injured while standing on a DME bus, who would be liable? Disney? Mears? Both? Because you have to know that if that was the case, there would be a lawsuit..quickly.
As far as compensation goes, adding a day or two to the trip isn't going to be likely...the guest has a flight to get to, they planned on going home. I doubt Disney is going to comp the family their missed flight costs. They just need to improve the quality of the service. If a group can't be fit on the bus, then call a cab and get them to MCO that way...Disney pays for it. Fairly simple.

In terms of compensation, it would take about $100. cash to extend a typical vacation of a family of four by two days.
I'm curious what you base that on. Hotel room is going to be $150 (at least). Meals will be $200 (figure $25pp/day which is low IMO for Disney), then add on tickets (basically a $15/day increase based on Disney's prices) so that's $60. You're at about $400.

Meanwhile, clerks not too high up can quickly throw out a single comp (non-upgradable) one day ticket which in some usage cases is worth over $100. and no heads upstairs would roll
You were the one who brought up "heads rolling", and even said that was the purpose...
The purpose is to make heads upstairs roll.

e.g. Disney neglecting to bring it up with Mears after the guest brought it up with Disney. I, personally, would prefer extra fast passes for compensation except that there are no ducats or other physical proof of holding such privilege when I arrive for my next vacation.
Then why did you say you'd want $100? You're contradicting yourself.
* After getting home I would write Disney briefly describing what happened as a minor complaint and requesting somewhere on the order of $100. in compensation. (In my mind, $100. of complimentary admission is eight days.)

Who said Disney would say that? *I* said if I was told my travelling party had to sit on the floor of a DME bus, I would not board the bus (or get off) and insist DISNEY find me another way.

Emailed Mears; heard back almost immediately (from the VP, according to his signature.) He apologized and stated that every guest should have a seat; they will be reviewing the situation (including video footage) to see what happened and retrain as necessary. I replied, asking for "next steps" in the event this incident repeats itself - he said to ask the driver to radio for another bus, and if that fails, to call him on his cell. Very impressed with expediency of situation.

Also got a ring from WDW. Apology, no one should have to sit, yes my email reached the right department and she will forward it on to the DME folks. I asked about recourse in the event this happens again (this was before I'd gotten Mears' last reply) and she had to think for a moment before stating to go inside, ask for a leader, and they "shouldn't have a problem" getting me a cab.

In the end, everyone got where they needed to go safely and on time - so I suppose all's well that ends well - my only real hope is that the retraining takes place so that this doesn't occur again.

From my experience getting a cab to the airport at Disney's expense is not a problem if any one ever has an issue like the OP.

Few years back we were staying at OKW and arrived in plenty of time for our MDE back to MCO. I want to say the bus was supposed to pick us up at 4p and we had arrived back at the MDE spot at OKW at 330p. Got our carry on's that we checked at Bell Services and waited for the bus and waited and waited. After 415p one of the CM's from looked at me very puzzled and said "what are you still doing here? The bus hasn't showed up yet?" I told her had not and she got on the phone right away. She came back a min later and said she didn't know what happened but if the next bus could not take us they would pay for a cab to get us back to MCO. The next bus pulled up at at 430p and she asked the driver if he had room for 3 more as the previous bus never showed. He said he had lot's of room as this was the last stop and to get on.

Emailed Mears; heard back almost immediately (from the VP, according to his signature.) He apologized and stated that every guest should have a seat; they will be reviewing the situation (including video footage) to see what happened and retrain as necessary. I replied, asking for "next steps" in the event this incident repeats itself - he said to ask the driver to radio for another bus, and if that fails, to call him on his cell. Very impressed with expediency of situation.

Also got a ring from WDW. Apology, no one should have to sit, yes my email reached the right department and she will forward it on to the DME folks. I asked about recourse in the event this happens again (this was before I'd gotten Mears' last reply) and she had to think for a moment before stating to go inside, ask for a leader, and they "shouldn't have a problem" getting me a cab.

In the end, everyone got where they needed to go safely and on time - so I suppose all's well that ends well - my only real hope is that the retraining takes place so that this doesn't occur again.
I am glad you got a quick response, even though it doesn't solve the problem. Call for another bus? How long will that take for people needing to take flights home? That isn't an appropriate response, Mr Mears VP.

I'm guessing it would be another DME bus in the area that would swing by. I was actually a lot more impressed with his responses than Disney's TBH.

I'm guessing it would be another DME bus in the area that would swing by. I was actually a lot more impressed with his responses than Disney's TBH.
They could also send a shuttle van, a taxi, or a town car, since they're all run by Mears.

They could also send a shuttle van, a taxi, or a town car, since they're all run by Mears.
My husband often meets us in DW due to work obligations and ends up on very late or very early flights. Due to this all 5 times he has signed up to take ME as a single person they have called a cab or service for him. He's never had the pleasure of the Magical Express....

First of all, everyone is so quick to send off emails and complain. Before sitting on the floor, did the OP notify the bus driver of the situation? Maybe he just wasn't aware. And I'm pretty sure, if he knew, he wouldn't have allowed it or his license would be on the line! I would never just sit on a bus floor, without asking what is happening here and give the CM's working the front end the opportunity to grab me a taxi on their dime. What gives OP, did you just give up and sit?

I would quietly stay on the bus to avoid delays and problems that could make me miss my plane.

But I would not just let things go by quietly.

* Upon arrival at the airport I would accept my bags from down under as usual, thank the driver, but give no tip.

* After getting home I would write Disney briefly describing what happened as a minor complaint and requesting somewhere on the order of $100. in compensation. The purpose is to make heads upstairs roll.

(In my mind, $100. of complimentary admission is eight days.)

* While it is an infraction for a Magical Express driver to take standees, he might have let this one slip by rather than untangle your bags from under the bus.

Are you for real?? DME is a free service, there is no compensation here! This is what gives the Dis a bad name sometimes. I'll give you an inside scoop. My son used to work for Disney Guest Comm. office. You know where this request would go? Straight to the trash. Trust me, I've heard it all from him. He has heard many, many requests and problems. And these types? Seriously, he'd tell me exactly where it would go. The OP needed to speak up, period. She needed to let the bus driver know! Taxis are sitting right there, they would have let her take one, simple as that. This is ridiculous.

Inconspicuously standing or sitting on the floor of the Magical Express bus I at least have the warm fuzzy feeling I am expeditiously on my way back to the airport compared with some delay and anxiety getting off and not knowing how long it would be before I would be on my way.

... I'm curious what you base that $100. on ...
OT: The aforementioned $100. represents park admission for 2 days of a typical future vacation for a family of 4, which could be satisfied by a gift of a retail (upgradable) day ticket but not comp (non-upgradable) tickets except in large numbers

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts