Magical Moments With Other Passengers

Tehanna

Mouseketeer
I have read a few threads about rude behavior from other guests, and it's unfortunate that it happens. I totally support the ability to post and vent about the frustration resulting from those situations.

But I'm thinking we can counter the energy from the rude people with stories of great interactions with other guests on DCL. Magical moments. Cute interactions. Friendships made, etc.

What magical moments have you witnessed or been a part of that involved other passengers on DCL?

Last edited:
I have read a few threads about rude behavior from other guests, and it's unfortunate that it happens. I totally support the ability to post and vent about the frustration resulting from those situations.

But I'm thinking we can counter the energy from that with stories of great interactions with other guests on DCL. Magical moments. Cute interactions. Friendships made, etc.

What magical moments have you witnessed or been a part of that involved other passengers on DCL?
I don't really have one specific moment that stands out to me but I just wanted to say I love this idea for a thread! I'm all about focusing on the positive! :) I will say that the service level was top notch on our cruise - so much that my DH said it felt like a vacation that was way beyond our means!

I dont have a specific moment to report but, in general, the DCL cruisers were among the happiest cruisers Ive ever been onboard with. Yeah there was the occasional kid melt down but for the most part no sour pusses, everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there.

I was cruising solo and because this gave me extra time, I made an effort to dress up for dinner, for the show, or just in general during the day. I was seated in the theater waiting for the show to start when a lady tapped me on the shoulder to tell me her daughter thought I looked like a princess, because of a fluffy petticoat and a pair of red heels ;-) and they would look out for me to see what I would be wearing next. Maybe not magic-magic, but positive attitude from a fellow cruiser. It was a nice compliment. :)

a few years back, we met another family that lives about 2 hours away from us. Our DDs birthdays are 1 day apart and the adults have similar interests and even jobs to some degree. Since meeting them, we have taken 4 additional cruises with them and have one coming up at the end of June. We stay in touch between cruises and our daughters love to hang with each other on the cruises.

They are very much like us as they love to spend time on the beach and just having a drink while relaxing. They are the perfect travel companion to our family.

I love this idea!

My Husband and I were on the Magic in November 2018 and hanging out in the Rainforest room. He started chatting with the lady next to him in the loungers (something he rarely ever does) and they hit it off.

We spent a significant amount of time hanging out with them throughout the rest of the cruise and still keep in touch! They live in North Carolina, we live in Florida and we are planning our next cruise together soon!

While not a 'magical' moment...this was a moment of 'kindness' vs. 'rudeness':
On our Alaska cruise, a tween boy on the deck 4 promenade was playing shuffleboard by himself. He was being extremely considerate, and waited for walkers to pass him before he continued his game. I complimented him as we walked by as we appreciated how well behaved he was.

What a great idea to have a positive thread like this! DD and I sailed on the Magic last January to Key West. One night I was lining up alone to meet Formal Minnie. She was so lovely in her dress. There’s a mom and her son who was about 3-4 years old behind me. I overheard the boy asking his mom, “Why does Minnie have to be so beautiful all the time?” I can’t remember how his mom replied. He was cute in his little suit and what a little gentleman he was. Best of all, he was Disney trained well! I think he was really cute in his own way. I wanted to compliment his mom, but it might seem awkward. But it’s a magical moment to me!

During our B2B Med./WBTA a few years ago we were seated at a table for 8 (only 2 of us) which was fine with us...we like to meet new folks from everywhere. There were two other couples and two single women. We had so much in common and fun reviewing the day's activities that we still keep in touch via Christmas cards with the two couples, one from New Jersey and one from Scotland. We live in Portland, OR and truly like having random people meet/eat with us on DCL cruises. On this same cruise we met this great crew/cast member at our safety drill for our second leg. He was a big guy with a great personality and after the drill he offered to show us the details of one of the lifeboats...very cool. We met him several times during the trip when he served as a handler for a princess or character. The biggest surprise was when we went to the "Enchanted" show one night and there he was, playing the piano with a hook on one hand ("I have a Dream" song). Just your normal sprinkle of pixie dust!!!!

We were Pixie Dusted by a fellow cruiser before even boarding on our very first cruise. Our kids were wearing lanyards, complete with pins they were excited to trade. The guy sitting next to us in the waiting area started chatting with us and asked the kids their favorite characters. They answered and he pulled out a pin binder and selected a pin for each of them. They expected to trade for it but he just gave it to them without trading. We all thought that was just the nicest thing, ever! It was a small gesture, perhaps, but an awesome way to kick off our very first cruise.

On our cruise in October, we were in line waiting to see Woody. Jesse came walking down the hall and my three year old grandson starting squealing “Jesse is coming! Jesse is coming! I just love Jesse so much! “. He was grinning from ear to ear and genuinely just so over the top excited. When he went up to see Jesse he was just beaming.

That night, there was an envelope waiting for us with an invitation to a secret event on the last night of the ship. It was a meet and greet with all of the characters that come out in the atrium for the goodbye show which was held just a few minutes prior to that show. We asked how we got that and they said it was because someone in our party had provided extra magic to the Cast Members and then were finally told it was because of my grandson’s reaction to Jesse which the Cast Members loved.

We were thrilled that they, too, loved magical moments and we won’t ever forget it.

I ended up feeling very sea sick during our late dinners and one of the nights actually left to go back to the room. Our server sent dessert for me to try and the head server sent a sleeve a crackers back with my husband. One the way back to the room another passenger stopped him and asked if someone was sea sick, she then gave him her extra seasickness patch for me. It was incredibly kind of her and I was able to enjoy the rest of our cruise without feeling sick at all. She recognized him at breakfast on our CC day and took the time to stop and ask if I was feeling better, it was very sweet and I was so happy to be able to say thank you.

On the last cruise I was on I was particularly surprised and delighted every time a fellow cruiser would compliment my outfit. Seems a bit superficial but I do give some thought when packing trying to match my outfits to the theme nights/restaurants (its part of the fun for me) and to have fellow cruisers notice made me really happy and inspired me to give out random compliments as well instead of keeping my positive thoughts to myself!

Every DCL cruise we've been on, we've been seated at a large table with cruisers we don't know, who quickly become friends. We always find things we have in common and really enjoy our time at dinner, then really love to hang out during the cruise, and often after we return home, even though we live in very distant places. Frankly, these seating arrangements are one of our favorite things about cruising with DCL!

We took our first WBPC in April 2018 (our fourth time on DCL) and it was a phenomenal experience almost entirely because of the other cruisers -- and the first time we really made friends with other cruisers. We were sat a table for 6 with two other gay couples and we hit it off with all of them, and frequently hung out with them during the days and evenings. We also joined up with people for a bar crawl and several other meet ups throughout the voyage and really left feeling like we made lifelong friends.

We will be taking our 2nd WBPC on the Wonder in 2021. :)

Here's one story from our travels.

Backstory: for a number of reasons, I have to shave my head. As a result I wear wigs, and when I am swimming, I wear a swim cap.

My husband and I were on the WBPC last year and I befriended a little girl during a dolphin encounter because she had become terrified of the fish. Not the dolphins, but the fish. Her mother shared that she had been bitten by a fish and it had become infected before, and she was terrifed of fish in the water with her ever since.

Well, this five year old girl and I became friends as I talked to her about how brave and strong she was, and compared her to several Disney princesses, and she ended up having fun after all. On the bus ride home she sat next to me, and was full of questions. She asked me what color my hair was under my scarf. I smiled and said "You're not going to believe this, but I have almost no hair on my head!"

She asked to see, and her eyes got huge when I took off my head scarf and showed her. I promised her to show her my rainbow hair (I often wear a pretty multi-colored wig) if she and her mom came by our table at dinner that night, and she was very excited and said that she would.

She did see my rainbow hair later, and for the rest of the cruise she would seek me out and get very excited to see what color my hair was that day. It made my day to have this little energetic princess look for me just so she could get excited about the color and tell me my hair was pretty. Or "It's pretty, but I really like the rainbow one!"

Surprisingly I didn't think I would have anything like that happen to me while sailing DCL. But from our 1st cruise in 2013, we have had the fortunate pleasure of having the same couple on board the ship 3 more times to share the experiences! In 2017 on our first WBPC cruise I walked out of the forward elevator and had another passenger call me by name, thinking he was part of the f******k group I was part of I stopped only to find out he was someone I had met years ago locally at a social function! On the 2019 WBPC cruise I was setting up for our group meet & greet in the Promenade Lounge only to have 2 previous Canal cruisers stop by to say HI to me again! And on the crew side, we enjoyed a amazing Palo dinner in 2013 and had Sascha as our server, he sought us out in 2015 and 2017 to say hello, and he didn't even know we were on board as we weren't in Palo when we saw him! Always Magic happening on DCL when you least expect it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter