Magical Moments With Other Passengers

Our cruise was a Halloween cruise, and we'd gotten our kiddo a few small things special for it - including a little set of silly halloween rings from H&M. They'd taken one of them (a small skull ring) and was carrying it around with their stuffed animal on embarkation day, and somewhere along they way, they lost it. They were SO upset.

We came back from (dinner? I think? it was later in the day, whenever it was), and neighbors down the hall had fairy dusted us with lollipops and... a small skull halloween ring. They had no way of knowing who we were, or that our kiddo had just a few hours earlier lost theirs, but it was exactly what was needed at exactly the right time.

(we later found out who it was, and they were in our cruise group on FB, and we're now friends.)

I did think of a good experience with another passenger! :) We were on an excursion in Martinique and we were on a large bus going on very windy mountainous roads for about an hour. It was much longer than we anticipated and my DD9 started feeling really carsick. My DD almost never gets carsick (only time she complains on roadtrips normally is if she's looking at her tablet too long and then when she takes a break she's fine) so I had no meds or anything along (and I was cursing myself because I had a ton of meds back on the ship!) We had water and snacks so we were giving her those and trying to talk her through looking at the horizon, etc when the couple in front of us turned around and asked if she wanted to wear the seabands that they had along. I was so grateful! We had never used them before so they showed us how to put them on and they definitely seemed to help my daughter until we arrived at our destination!

ETA - I think part of the reason we love Disney parks and why we enjoyed our Disney cruise so much is just this overall feeling of happiness from not only the CM but also the other guests - and you just don't seem to get that at other places. People just genuinely seem to be so happy to be there that they're friendlier and kinder and in a better mood that what you experience elsewhere in life! It really does feel magical! :)

Oh my gosh, I have so many (guests and cast members alike).

I have to admit I was a little nervous when I walked up to guest services on day one to ask if he could possibly get get the princess gifts at our royal tea instead of the knight ones that they might reject me (or think I was one of those parents that forces stuff on their kid), but not only were they SO nice and gave him all his princess "treasures" (he loves his necklace and music box especially), but they also bent over backwards to make him feel welcome....
This thread is so wonderful, and I'm so happy reading it. I also wanted to say MomoTwins... you're a great mom. And I hope your son continues to be free to be who he wants forever...

Great thread! We have had our share of rude, but the good we have experienced far exceeds any bad. We have been seated with strangers at dinner on most of our cruises and have had so many great experiences. Many, my wife is still in facebook contact with (I'm not a facebooker). Even the one potentially "bad/awkward" experience, we made fun for us and still laugh about. My wife and I were seated with a couple from South America who spoke almost no english, a couple of socially awkward German guys from different cities who had become friends playing online video games, and a grandfather from South America who's entire family was seated 2 tables over (fixed by the head waiter on the 2nd night after we encouraged him so say something). We made it our mission to get to know everyone as well as we could given the language barrier, and we had a great time doing it. Lemons and lemonade :-):-)

I just got off the Magic and I had nothing but positive interactions with fellow passengers. My kids made new friends in the kids club, DH and I spent an hour with another couple that we met during Mojito tasting and I had many friendly interactions waiting for characters, on the swim deck, etc.

We took our first DCL cruise on the Wonder this past October. We're a family of 3 and knew there was a good possibility of being seated with others at dinner. DH & I are pretty introverted and don't really enjoy making small talk with strangers. DS11 on the other hand is extremely outgoing and feels like strangers are just friends he hasn't met yet.

We were seated with another family of 3, with an 11 year old boy. They were also on their first DCL cruise and we ended up having quite a bit in common. The boys were almost inseparable throughout the cruise. We ended up on the same excursion in Cabo and spent the day with them. It really made our cruise a much more enjoyable experience!

On our first 12 night caribbean cruise we were seated with an amazing family who we got along with very well and had many similarities. We even chose to combine our Palo dinners! Then, we rebooked another 12 night cruise and requested to sit with them (and even the same servers) and we had another great cruise and did a few excursions together. They're our "Cruise Family!"

On our first 12 night caribbean cruise we were seated with an amazing family who we got along with very well and had many similarities. We even chose to combine our Palo dinners! Then, we rebooked another 12 night cruise and requested to sit with them (and even the same servers) and we had another great cruise and did a few excursions together. They're our "Cruise Family!"

This is so great to read.
I don't remember ever having bad table mates, they've all been different degrees of amazing.

** In the voice of that guy from the Tangled movie scene/song where he tells Rapunzel** :
"I wish I had a Cruise Family"

I had been working hard toward losing weight and walking my first 5k on castaway cay. Unfortunately I broke my arm weeks before the cruise. It was rough, because of the type of break I was in a sling only, no casting and it hurt... And I deconditioned quickly , but decided to still try and complete the 5k. My arm was in a sling and EVERYONE was sooo encouraging.

At the end of the race my DH was waiting for me and told me a lot of the early finishers came back to cheer me on to finish. Unfortunately I took longer to finish because of the pain from the broken arm so a majority left, but a few lingered on.

I can't tell you how much that meant to me!!! To everyone who cheered me on I will forever be thankful!!❤

Last week on the Wonder, I got on an elevator with a couple and their young daughter. We were all humming along to the piped music -- the Gaston song from Beauty and the Beast. As the elevator doors closed, we all chorused together "AND EVERY LAST INCH OF ME'S COVERED WITH HAIR!" :rotfl: The kicker -- the husband's name was Gaston!!! True story. Only on DCL :tink:

I've got 2

I'm a single Mom with 2 girls. On our first cruise, our table mates never showed up. So on our 2nd cruise, we had no idea how we would mesh with another family. We ended up being seated with a lovely family that lives only about 1.5 hours away. Their daughter was age-wise between my 2 daughter's ages. We all ended up hitting it off. We have gone on 2 more cruises together, and are booking a 3rd together! We've also taken several side trips and visits together. I never in a million years ever imagined we'd make lifelong friends with random strangers at dinner.

My 2nd story doesn't involve a passenger, but a cast member. A few years ago I treated my youngest daughter to the Royal Tea Party. She absolutely adored the autograph book she received, and proudly took it with her EVERYWHERE in hopes of gathering as many autographs as she could. One day (maybe second to the last night) she was in Oceanneer Club, and a not-so-nice child got hold of her book and scribbled on all of the pages. She was devastated. I mean sobbing, crying mess. A cast member happened to observe and without our knowing went throughout the entire ship and gathered every autograph you can imagine- characters, crew, show characters, you name it- in a brand new book. The next night (our last night), we were sitting at dinner when he walked up to her and presented her with the book. I still cry when I remember the look on my baby's face. And the look on his as well.

I know it's sometimes considered in poor taste to bump your own thread. But there's a lot of anxiety on these boards right now. Understandably so... and more than a little bit of folks getting personal stemming from that anxiety.

I just want to toss out a plea for some positive cruise stories while we all figure out what we're going to do with upcoming plans.

While on the wonder a few years ago I won a figure toy set(Big white guy kind of looks like the stay Puff marshmallow Man) through bingo on the Wonder. I walked up to some parents later (on deck 4 I believe,) with a seven-year-old girl and ask the parents if I could give it to the little girl. I can’t remember exactly what was said but the little girl did take it and was slightly confused. She could be confused over who the character was or over the fact that she was getting a gift from a complete stranger I wasn’t really sure.

While on the wonder a few years ago I won a figure toy set(Big white guy kind of looks like the stay Puff marshmallow Man) through bingo on the Wonder. I walked up to some parents later (on deck 4 I believe,) with a seven-year-old girl and ask the parents if I could give it to the little girl. I can’t remember exactly what was said but the little girl did take it and was slightly confused. She could be confused over who the character was or over the fact that she was getting a gift from a complete stranger I wasn’t really sure.
Was your figure toy Baymax from Big Hero 6?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!