Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

A LONG time ago, MAW was just granting wishes for children who were terminally ill (back in the last century - Ha! when I was in Nursing School). There have been a lot of medical advances since then and that changed quite a while ago.
The current term being used is « Critical illness » and, just before that, they used « life-threatening »
This screenshot is the eligibility from the Make-A-Wish website.

B2EF0DDA-8D7E-452E-AAC7-5A23FAB0D160.jpeg

Make-A-Wish is probably the best known of the Wish Granting organizations that Disney supports.
In the past, kids on wish trips received a special Guest Assistance Card (GAC) from Guest Relations at Disney. It could be issued by Guest Relations staff who came to Give Kids the World Village or at a Guest Relations at the parks.
It allowed immediate access either thru the Fastpass line or a different entrance without waiting (which was different than the ‘regular’ GAC that allowed use of alternate entrances, but did not allow immediate access).
One of the things Disney found out was that the Special ‘Wish’ Card was being given out in Guest Relations in the parks to guests who were not on Wish trips.

Disney discontinued GAC in October 2013 and replaced it with Disability Access Service (DAS) . The accommodation provided by DAS is waiting outside of the lines for guests who disability prevents waiting in the regular line.
Disney still has special access for kids on Wish trips and their families (Genie Pass).
To prevent abuse, the Genie Pass is issued thru the participating Wish programs, not by Disney Guest Relations.

This screenshot is from Disney World’s Community Programs page has information about the Wish granting organizations they support.

D4E91AC9-57E9-42DF-BFD5-A0C4989CA8BB.jpeg
Rusty, i had no idea they might give alumni a genie pass. Would i call in advance to ask this, or ask about it when we go back to visit the village?
I have not heard of MAW alumni getting a Genie Pass. In the past, when I had emailed someone I knew in Guest Relations/Disability Services at WDW, I was told the ‘Wish’ Accommodation is a one time accommodation for people on a current Wish trip.
You could try calling the Give Kids the World number above, but I’d be very surprised if they give Genie passes to alumni.

FOR PREVIOUS GKTW GUESTS . . .

1) You can only stay at GKTW one per "Wish Granted Child".
2) However, as a alum, you can day-visit GKTW as many times as you wish.
3) If you ask very nicely, they have been know to arrange a Genie Pass for you at WDW.

2) Alumni of GKTW are welcome to visit for the day 4 times per calendar year. It resets every January 1st. They are now requesting all alumni call or email ahead of their visit. Please visit the alumni section of their website for more information.

3) Unfortunately, GKTW cannot offer Guest Assistance passes to alumni.

Thank you so much. She is doing well, back in school, still on maintenance chemo for another year. But she is an amazing kid. I think because she battled it for so long--it is just part of her, she knows nothing else. (Diagnosed at 2.5; ended treatment at 5, relapsed at 6.5 and will end treatment at 8.5)

Marty Lyons did contact us, we are going to Disney in October--since we aren't staying at GKTW (because you can only stay there once), they are putting us up in a hotel. No genie pass this time, but we are super excited just to go on a vacation with family. (Since it is a second wish, and the foundation is a lot smaller--there were definitely MORE limitations on where/what kids could do)

We go back every year to visit gtktw. My kidslike going on Thursdays nights christmas party. The alumni is treated so well apart from sleeping there you wouldn't know we were not there on a wish trip. The das pass works well it's not a genie pass but it's the next best thing. Again I'm sorry that you have to go back this way. But I hope it lets your family have the rest you deserve.

My granddaughter is 14 months with terminal brain cancer with a few months to left. The Dr at St Jude’s said we should take her now. Disney compassion has donated 2 tickets for the parents. I booked all of us a place offsite. Since make a wish doesn’t offer anything to children that young is there anyway to get a genie pass? We will be there next week.

My granddaughter is 14 months with terminal brain cancer with a few months to left. The Dr at St Jude’s said we should take her now. Disney compassion has donated 2 tickets for the parents. I booked all of us a place offsite. Since make a wish doesn’t offer anything to children that young is there anyway to get a genie pass? We will be there next week.
Maybe not a genie pass but I'd go to Guest Relations and request a GAC card.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/attraction-access/ Explain your situation. Also take advantage of the Baby Care centers if you just need to get out of the sun and rest a while. What type of brain tumor does your granddaughter have? DIPG??? I'm so sorry!!! I hope you all make some great memories at Disneyworld. Hugs!

She has ATRT.she had 12 new tumors form between Feb and May scans. Thank you for the link. Is the a difference between DAS and GAC?

To my knowledge, one's trip must be associated with a participating wish-granting agency to obtain a "Genie Pass" at GKTW. GAC (Guest Assistance Card) was the prior program; the current is DAS (Disability Access Service). The first post of this thread explains how it works at WDW (you can ignore the rest of the lengthy discussion). I hope you are able to make some wonderful memories with your little one!

I am so sorry for you and your family, As a parent of a child with Brain cancer/Tumors I know what kind of things you are going through. I know there is no way to get you a genie pass, but the DAS they give you is great. I really suggest making family trip shirts that say something like "so and so" wish trip. The only thing DAS cant help with is with meeting characters, I found the shirts go a long way with helping your cause.. the cast member helpers are really nice if you go up and tell them they may help you. The shirts bring attention to why you are there with out words.

Sorry if you read this in the other thread I started, but I realized this is probably a better place for this question.

If your child wishes for something that leads to a trip to GKTW, how much does the actual wording of the wish impact the experience?

For example, if there are three kids, and one wishes "to go to Harry Potter World", a second wishes to "meet all the princesses" and a third wishes "to touch a dolphin", are their trips modified in some way to reflect the differences, or do they all get the same thing?

Sorry if you read this in the other thread I started, but I realized this is probably a better place for this question.

If your child wishes for something that leads to a trip to GKTW, how much does the actual wording of the wish impact the experience?

For example, if there are three kids, and one wishes "to go to Harry Potter World", a second wishes to "meet all the princesses" and a third wishes "to touch a dolphin", are their trips modified in some way to reflect the differences, or do they all get the same thing?

Former MAW and GKTW volunteer here - I believe (not 100% positive) that anytime a kid wishes for something related to the Orlando theme parks, the wish organization can arrange a stay at GKTW. Every GKTW family gets the standard pack of 3 tickets to Disney, 2 to Universal, and 1 to SeaWorld. So in your example, the kids who wished to visit the Wizarding World of HP at Universal and to meet the princesses at Disney would get the same pack of tickets. For that third example, there are a few places where kids can swim/meet dolphins, so the wish organization may only send them to Orlando if the wish is to specifically swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove. As a note, I know that a lot of dolphin wishes happen in the Florida Keys. So if that third kid wished to go to Discovery Cove, the wish organization would buy the family a separate set of tickets, and they would probably still get their Disney/Universal/SeaWorld tickets as well. Legoland wishes are also very popular, and I think families/wish organizations can just special request the tickets from GKTW (Legoland seems to donate a set of tickets, you just need to ask for them specifically).

First time posting and not sure if I'm even in the right thread. Or how to get to the right one. My son has been approved and scheduled for his maw trip to gktw and disney. We are leaving August 16-22nd. I got the email two weeks ago. We haven't heard anything since ,except the day after the confirmation email I got a message saying it was our wish granters last day.. Anyone else got through this do we have to start over???

First time posting and not sure if I'm even in the right thread. Or how to get to the right one. My son has been approved and scheduled for his maw trip to gktw and disney. We are leaving August 16-22nd. I got the email two weeks ago. We haven't heard anything since ,except the day after the confirmation email I got a message saying it was our wish granters last day.. Anyone else got through this do we have to start over???
Just got the phone call we will be leaving as planned... We are so excited

Sorry for all the questions but I want to be prepared as much as I possibly can , especially traveling with 4 kids (2 with complex needs). I know we don't necessarily need the magic bands but I heard some rides you need them for the pictures. Is this true? Should I buy one or one for everyone?? Do magicshots need the magic band too?? TIA

The magic bands are read by a sensor inside the ride vehicle and the photos get automatically added to your My Disney Experience account. However, they still have the "old fashioned" version where you get out of the ride and add the photos to your card. So basically, the Magic Band lets you skip a step, but it is totally not necessary. Disney gives wish families free photos, and you will have a card to add the photos to. The CMs at the photo stations at the end of the ride will be more than happy to make sure you get those photos.

And no, you don't need magic bands for the magic shots. Those are taken by the photographers around the park. You are given a photopass card and they will digitally add photos to it when they are done taking your pictures. Generally, any photographer who isn't with a character and isn't using a tripod can take magic shots - sometimes they will take them without you realizing it, but be sure to ask for them as well.

Personally, I don't think you will need magic bands, nor will them be really worth it. You will only use them while entering the park and when getting those photos. Most people use them more frequently for fastpasses, but would be using them (you will be given a Genie pass, which is just a card you show to CMs as you get in line).

Magic Bands aren't needed on a wish trip, but it REALLY helps with the Photo Pass you are given.

Hi my son has been accepted for Make a wish He wants to be a Disney animator. They have mentioned staying at Art of Animation resort.. Can any one advice what happens now please Dr has signed forms ect I have a very excited little boy im just scared it may not go to plan x

Hi my son has been accepted for Make a wish He wants to be a Disney animator. They have mentioned staying at Art of Animation resort.. Can any one advice what happens now please Dr has signed forms ect I have a very excited little boy im just scared it may not go to plan x

Once doctors approve the wish things move pretty fast. Your wish coordinator or granters may reach out soon with plans if you have already given them preferred dates. While Art of Animation is a great resort, I cannot emphasize enough how awesome Give Kids the World is. I've been to both and hands down would pick GKTW and you can always visit Art of Animation on your trip to look around.

Once doctors approve the wish things move pretty fast. Your wish coordinator or granters may reach out soon with plans if you have already given them preferred dates. While Art of Animation is a great resort, I cannot emphasize enough how awesome Give Kids the World is. I've been to both and hands down would pick GKTW and you can always visit Art of Animation on your trip to look around.

Adding that yes, things should move quickly from now. If you already meet your wish granters, the next step is probably just picking dates. Also adding that Give Kids the World is an amazing, once in a life time opportunity. AoA is a nice hotel, but other than some sketches from the animators and some statues and decorations around the property, I don't know if it will really adds to the "be a Disney animator wish". It's a fun resort to visit, and they offer character drawing classes in the lobby, so if you do end up staying in GKTW you can definitely stop by for a few hours. AoA is now connected by the Skyliner so it's easy to get to from both Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Also, if you visit Animal Kingdom, make sure to take the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. They are also doing drawing classes back there of Disney animal characters.

Also, did you already meet with your Wish Granters? If your son's wish is to be a Disney animator, let them know! They might be able to make his wish a visit to the Disney or Pixar studios to meet the animators! That would be a really cool wish!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!