Make husband’s birthday special?

DeeSee

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW for 10 days in March 2021, so I have lots of time to plan! The way our days fall, it looks like hub’s birthday will fall on one of our non-park days. We are traveling with our two boys, ages 7&5. Any suggestions for ways to make hub’s birthday special with or without the kiddos?
Oldest son’s birthday is also during the trip, so I already plan on ordering a cake for both of them during a character meal on a different day.

Dad here - what is he into and what's the budget?
I have the same questions!

Are you saying you could leave your kids somewhere and go out just the 2 of you? Or does it need to be a family affair?

Hmm. Dad of a 7 and 5 year old here. A couple of thoughts appeal to me, but your husband's taste may be way different.
A drink at Tader Sam's first. Under 21 can get in before 8, and it should be stimulating for the kids for a bit. Then follow it up with dinner at the California Grill, with fireworks viewing either during or after dinner.
Either piece can be independent of the other.
Really, that plan sounds nice without kids, but maybe do it in reverse so that you aren't leaving them at 5 pm.

If your husband is a big golf fan, doesn't drink, or doesn't like a good meal, then obviously this plan wouldn't be for him.

Dad here - what is he into and what's the budget?
Food and beer 😆 He’s a pretty up-for-anything kinda guy, but the way to his heart is definitely through his stomach! That being said, he would appreciate more than just going out for a meal. We are from a city where we can get knock your socks off food and drink anytime.
Budget is flexible. Not trying to do it on a dime, but keeping it fairly modest.

Are you saying you could leave your kids somewhere and go out just the 2 of you? Or does it need to be a family affair?
Yes, we could hire Kids Nite Out or something if needed.

A drink at Tader Sam's first. Under 21 can get in before 8, and it should be stimulating for the kids for a bit. Then follow it up with dinner at the California Grill, with fireworks viewing either during or after dinner.
Either piece can be independent of the other.
Really, that plan sounds nice without kids, but maybe do it in reverse so that you aren't leaving them at 5 pm.
Great suggestion. I think he would enjoy Trader Sam’s! I think we would do it kid-free.

Rent a pontoon boat at the Grand Floridian. Pack a picnic from Gasparillas grill and spend an hour on the lake.

Agree with Trader Sams, put your name when it opens, spending 2-3 hours there you will get some drinks like no other and I'm not sure it's really possible to have more than two and be able to walk out under your own power. If you can snag childcare you guys could also snack around the world showcase in Epcot, not necessarily doing the full drink around the world mess, but a beer at a couple of the locations on the way to kick it up. If he is into golf a round at the Palm or the Magnolia is a once in a lifetime experience. I know I did this with my dad when I was 8 or 9, and I am counting the days to do it with my son and/or my girls (all toddlers).

My husband's favorite birthday things always involve steak and a Non-Disney activity that would not be child friendly but I'm guessing you are looking for something in the Disney field? I would say dump the kids with the Captain Hook pirate crew at Beach club and take him over to Epcot to go drink around the world for the 2-3 hours you have the kids entertained for. Kids will thrilled, husband will be happy to go drinking with you.

When my kids were young we (with my XH) never did a babysitter. I wanted to but the plans never fell in place.

I've been divorced for ten years and when my SO and I went with my 2 kids they were old enough to be left in the room for a bit. So one night we did Trader Sam's and Tambu Lounge (while staying at Poly) and another night they wanted to stay back at the pool (SAB at BC) so we hit up Epcot and ate and drank around the world. Both nights were great! So we got two date nights in one trip. My SO really loved those two nights and he wants to go back for an adult only trip.

Kids at the Pirate Crew while hubs and I go to Epcot was my first inclination, but it’s going to fall on a non park day. That’s where the challenge lies. I’m not sure about buying 7-day tickets for just the grownups? It’s something I’ll have to consider.

Kids at the Pirate Crew while hubs and I go to Epcot was my first inclination, but it’s going to fall on a non park day. That’s where the challenge lies. I’m not sure about buying 7-day tickets for just the grownups? It’s something I’ll have to consider.

It's so cheap to add an extra day that I would go for it. We always get length of stay tickets even if we just pop in for our 3 FP+ and leave.

If you are looking for other experiences---you could consider going out on one of the car boats at the Boathouse in DS. Drinking around the monorail with dinner at Narcossses or somewhere else along the way. Though if my kids were that age, I have to agree with sending them to Pirates and Pals and then getting away for a bit whether that means Epcot---or out to dinner at the Boardwalk or another one of the Epcot/HS resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!