Making a meal for someone - salad or no?

Keep the salad and dressing separate, because once dressed, it's only hours to slimy time.

:thumbsup2 I was just about to say this. A dressed salad only has a few hours in which it needs to be eaten. An undressed salad, however can have a couple DAYS. So, if they don't eat it at that meal, they can have it the next day with the pot roast leftovers, or the day after on it's own, especially if you include a protein, like canned chick peas (garbanzo beans,) white beans, pinto beans, or black beans, (all drained & rinsed,) or shredded cheese, or even chunks of chicken. Then it is a complete meal. Considering your friend is already swapping out beef for chicken, she may want to save the salad for a different meal. You'd be sneakily giving her a chance to do that. :ssst:

I also vote that if you include a salad, please don't dress it. Many people don't like certain dressings. I love salad, but haven't found a single dressing that I can stomach eating.

Definitely doing salad, and I would never pre-dress a salad. I’m even sending the cheese separate as I know that’s not good on there too long.

Roast is all shredded & packed up. On to the next component LOL

wdQRin7.gif

I think it's great what you're doing for your friends.

very cool of your wife, I know she must be the heart of the family , bring a salad, that makes a meal special

This! Much better/easier than a salad to fix and transport. I love veggie trays, and they are so attractive with various colors.
I agree that it would be easier to transport and serve, plus it’s appeals to more people as they can pick and choose which veggies to eat. I would put 4-5 different types of veggies on a tray or plate with a container of store bought hummus or dip. You could use cherry tomatoes and baby carrots and cut up a cucumber and some peppers and it would very little effort.

Last edited:
Maybe its a regional thing, but here in upstate NY, people have been avoiding traditional salads due to the E. Coli situation. They are opting for a spinch/spring mix instead.

Maybe its a regional thing, but here in upstate NY, people have been avoiding traditional salads due to the E. Coli situation. They are opting for a spinch/spring mix instead.

I saw romaine hearts at the local grocery store here yesterday (I'm in NY). They know where the contaminated stuff came from so people may be finding it back in stores soon.

I saw romaine hearts at the local grocery store here yesterday (I'm in NY). They know where the contaminated stuff came from so people may be finding it back in stores soon.
I bought Trader Joes pre packaged chicken caesar salads last week (CA) and I'm still here! They even had a sticker on them saying when they were packed and from what farm.

I bought Trader Joes pre packaged chicken caesar salads last week (CA) and I'm still here! They even had a sticker on them saying when they were packed and from what farm.

I noticed my Spring Mix has the date and where it came from too. I didn't look at the romaine hearts packaging since I wasn't buying it but I'm assuming that has it on there too.

I’ve got loose leaf & spring mix in there. No Romaine LOL.

Red lead lettuce and cauliflower (NY only) also recalled for possible contamination as of a few days ago.

Red lead lettuce and cauliflower (NY only) also recalled for possible contamination as of a few days ago.

Ugh just great. I was going to roast cauliflower for me for Christmas :mad:
But wait I saw that too in the store :confused:

I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine if you are cooking it. I saw that about cauliflower as well but I’ve eaten it anyways always cooked. The heat will kill any E. coli.

The recall was just issued maybe Monday? And its only on certain brands sold in the state of NY. I believe the UPCs are out there somewhere if you want to look it up. I know locally, only one of our grocery stores sells it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter