Making a specialty cocktail onboard

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
I don't recall having seen this Q on here.
I know you can byob onboard.
My fav cocktail (only one I drink often where its offered) is called Pisco sour.
Its the national cocktail of Peru and its beyond awesome
I plan on bringing 1 or 2 x750ml bottles of Pisco.
You need a blender or shaker to make it: Pisco, ice, lime juice, egg white, bitters.
Q is:
- If you go to a bartender onboard and tell him I have x liquor, its made by doing y... will he/she make it for you? I plan on telling them I'll tip nicely if they make it for me.
Will they do it? Anyone's done it?

Unless Pisco is wine or beer, it it not allowed to be brought on board. You are only allowed WINE or BEER.

I would be shocked if they let you take your own stuff to the bars to use their equipment or ask them to make it. ESPECIALLY egg whites - never heard of bars having those on hand.

Stick with beer/wine that you can bring on board or what they have in the bars.

Unless Pisco is wine or beer, it it not allowed to be brought on board. You are only allowed WINE or BEER.

I would be shocked if they let you take your own stuff to the bars to use their equipment or ask them to make it. ESPECIALLY egg whites - never heard of bars having those on hand.

Pisco is made from grapes, but no, wouldn't be considered wine, it's like brandy, meaning, a liquor.
Super popular in Peru/Chile, and I've been to a couple of bars in NYC that had it.
In previous cruises I've never brought onboard anything other than beer when in Mexico, so I didn't know about the wine and beer only (not liquor)
Thanks for your reply!

Pisco is made from grapes, but no, wouldn't be considered wine, it's like brandy, meaning, a liquor.
Super popular in Peru/Chile, and I've been to a couple of bars in NYC that had it.
In previous cruises I've never brought onboard anything other than beer when in Mexico, so I didn't know about the wine and beer only (not liquor)
Thanks for your reply!

It used to be anything, but too many people were abusing the system (drinking it outside their staterooms, etc.) and so DCL put the kibosh on that. Beer and Wine are technically the same (though you can pay a $25 corkage fee in the dining room if you take your bottle for them to open there) but it's harder to enforce as you could get wine glasses from any bar or ask your stateroom host.

You're welcome.

I agree with both of you. Wife and I have been to Peru and love their Pisco Sours. We have also been on eight DCL cruises and, as Dug720 said, you are allowed to bring only beer or wine on board the four ships. You could try asking a ship's bartender to make a Pisco Sour...long shot that they would have the makings, however. You might check out a mixology class, if offered, and see if this drink is offered. Perhaps when the new DCL ships come out and they head south of Mexico and Columbia (hint, hint!), then the drinks offered on board might be more regionally inspired. Cruise on...

Egg whites are actually a very common cocktail ingredient.

As others have mentioned, you won't be allowed to bring this on board. And no, I don't think the bartenders will make drinks with your liquor (if you managed to sneak it on). They will however, make anything you request out of whatever they have available in their bar.

I agree with both of you. Wife and I have been to Peru and love their Pisco Sours. We have also been on eight DCL cruises and, as Dug720 said, you are allowed to bring only beer or wine on board the four ships. You could try asking a ship's bartender to make a Pisco Sour...long shot that they would have the makings, however. You might check out a mixology class, if offered, and see if this drink is offered. Perhaps when the new DCL ships come out and they head south of Mexico and Columbia (hint, hint!), then the drinks offered on board might be more regionally inspired. Cruise on...

Isn't Pisco great? yay I love it that more people know about it.
I've been to several mixology classes and out of about 10 bartenders/helpers at those classes, only one of them knew what Pisco was when I asked. lol
I was on the Meridian bar at the Fantasy a couple of years ago and one of the bartenders was Peruvian(!)... he said he's for years suggested the powers that be at the bars to make Pisco available. No luck. He blamed the Peru govt for not marketing the drink enough. Its true.
I think once ppl discover it, it'll be the next big thing in the cocktail world. As big or bigger than Mojitos.

Ever tried a Maracuya Sour? It's basically a Pisco Sour with passion fruit juice added. I personally like it better than the traditional Pisco Sour. I was introduced to pisco by some Peruvian in-laws -- don't get them started on the difference between Peruvian and Chilean pisco! I never thought about asking for one on board. I just figured that as hard as good pisco is to find around here, they wouldn't have stocked it on the ship either.

As others have mentioned, you won't be allowed to bring this on board. And no, I don't think the bartenders will make drinks with your liquor (if you managed to sneak it on). They will however, make anything you request out of whatever they have available in their bar.

Will they? Will they really make anything that is available in their bar? Astonishing.
Ever tried a Maracuya Sour? It's basically a Pisco Sour with passion fruit juice added. I personally like it better than the traditional Pisco Sour. I was introduced to pisco by some Peruvian in-laws -- don't get them started on the difference between Peruvian and Chilean pisco! I never thought about asking for one on board. I just figured that as hard as good pisco is to find around here, they wouldn't have stocked it on the ship either.

Yes! love Maracuyá sour as well.
I love pretty much anything with Pisco: Chilcano, algarrobina. But Pisco sour is my fav... so refreshing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts