Making History! A 2017 Westbound Panama Canal Trip Report **Complete**

I loved this! "Pleasantly weird" is an awesome phrase, and I may need to use it soon. :) Have very much enjoyed your trip report thus far (from a fellow homeschooling family, in Pennsylvania)!

Thank you! I love hearing from other homeschoolers. That's one of the great things about these long cruises. Most of the kids are homeschooled. Its an awesome experience to meet homeschool families from all over the country/world.

Okay. I just did something insane, but I know my fellow Disers will understand. I just booked the EBPC cruise for this October! Eek! I'm so excited!

It will just be the kids and I this time. James doesn't have enough vacation days left this year to join us. :( I'm a little nervous about managing everything without James, but I took the kids to WDW by myself when they were younger and we had a good time. So, I figure I can handle this.

So, if any of you will be on the EBPC 2017 and you see me wandering aimlessly all alone because my children have abandoned me for their much cooler peers, feel free to take pity on me and say hello. I promise I'm friendly, and I rarely bite. :)

Okay. I just did something insane, but I know my fellow Disers will understand. I just booked the EBPC cruise for this October! Eek! I'm so excited!

It will just be the kids and I this time. James doesn't have enough vacation days left this year to join us. :( I'm a little nervous about managing everything without James, but I took the kids to WDW by myself when they were younger and we had a good time. So, I figure I can handle this.

So, if any of you will be on the EBPC 2017 and you see me wandering aimlessly all alone because my children have abandoned me for their much cooler peers, feel free to take pity on me and say hello. I promise I'm friendly, and I rarely bite. :)

How exciting for you guys! We will be on this cruise... I'll be sure to say hello if we bump into you! Only 83 more days!

Another October cruiser following along with your trip report. I hope we cross paths on the EBPC.

How exciting for you guys! We will be on this cruise... I'll be sure to say hello if we bump into you! Only 83 more days!

Yay you're joining us! We're looking so forward to October.

Another October cruiser following along with your trip report. I hope we cross paths on the EBPC.

Thank you all for following along! A look forward to meeting a whole new group of DCL friends in October. It'll be here before we know it!

The movie ended just in time to make it up to deck 9 to catch the best part of the pirate deck party - the fireworks.

47.jpg

48.jpg

The big man himself about to make his epic entrance

49.jpg

50.jpg

Immediately after the fireworks, we hopped in line for the pirate buffet. Check out all the goodies.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

58.jpg

57.jpg

Let's not forget dessert.

59.1.jpg

I was still full from dinner, so I saved us a table, while the rest of my crew loaded up their plates.

We all sampled this turkey leg. It was delicious!

59.jpg

60.jpg

James absolutely loved this smoked ham.

61.jpg

62.jpg

My family's favorite part of the buffet was the crepe station.

Emily's crepe

63.jpg

James' crepe

64.jpg

Jimmy's crepe

65.jpg

While my family ate, I took pictures of the amazing food art along the buffet.

55.jpg

56.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Full of fruit, crepes, and smoked meats, we hearty pirates thought it best to plunder another day and called it a night.

73 (2).jpg

The menagerie was becoming rather crowded.

72.jpg

Up Next: Creativity and Conniving (Cue sneaky, evil laughter) Hee, hee, hee!

Wednesday, May 3, Sea Day

18422860_10208630710267062_4227917938775475303_o.jpg

nav25.jpg

When I woke, the rest of my family was still sound asleep. So, I showered and dressed and slipped out of the cabin to have a peaceful solo breakfast in Triton's. When I arrived, however, I spotted a couple of friends from dance class who invited me to dine with them. Even better!

I had another light breakfast this morning. I started with the mango hike. I can't believe I'd been on the ship for so long without having one of these.

1.jpg

I also had a fruit plate.

2.jpg

One of my tablemates had the pineapple stack. I had to take a picture of it because it looked so good. She had one of these every morning of the cruise. I can see why.

3.jpg

After awhile, James joined us. He opted not to eat, but sat and visited with us. The conversation was so nice we ended up closing down the restaurant. By the time we finished our conversation that carried into the atrium, it was time for Anyone Can Cook. Today was a day we definitely didn't want to miss. The chef was making Key Lime Pie!

4.1.jpg

When we arrived, there was only one seat left. James, generous husband that he is, let me have the seat and he stood in the back. As expected, the pie was delicious!

4.jpg

After class, we met the kids in the Promenade Lounge to make masks for the upcoming Mardi Gras celebration in Tiana's Place. Here are a few of our first attempts.

5.jpg

Here are all of the masks we made.

6.1.jpg

James and I ran our masks to our cabin and managed to slip into to Animator's Palate just as the cheese seminar was beginning.

6.jpg

We'd just concluded the creative activity for the day. It was time for the conniving. We were placed at a table with other cheese-lovers to the rear of the speaker next to several empty tables covered in untouched cheese samples. I'm sure you know where this is going.

Well, James, our tablemates, and I adored the cheese so much, we simply couldn't settle for only one sample of each. So, I volunteered to mug extra cheese samples off the untouched table next to us. It started with just one, and then, well, it just bloomed from there...

7.jpg

8.jpg

Needless to say, we all left with bellies full of delicious cheese. My favorite was the...

9.jpg

It was SO GOOD! I could have nibbled on it all day.

Despite being full of cheese, we went to lunch. We started in Triton's. (Yes, I said started...)

10.jpg

Jimmy joined us. He came to lunch as Vision (from the Avengers). Emily opted to stay in the Oceaneer Lab to play.

11.jpg

Jimmy planned on having pizza on deck, but had to have a sundae, or two.

12.jpg

I had the cobb salad. It was very good.

13.jpg

James had a double portion of the beef satay skewers. He'd just loved these the first time he'd had them. These did not disappoint. Jimmy sampled them and ended up ordering some for himself. They were a big hit.

14.jpg

For dessert, I had the citrus almond cake. It had a good flavor, but was kind of dry.

15.jpg

Curious as to what Cabana's had to offer, we finished at Triton's and headed up to deck 9. Today, the buffet had a Mexican theme.

16.1.jpg

16.2.jpg

I had to sample a little. I don't remember exactly what I had, but I remember that it was all very good. I regretted being so full.

16.3.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is key lime pie and banana bread pudding.

16.jpg

James and I stopped by our cabin before dance class. The children's sheets had been changed. I know I've said it before, but I love these little touches!

17.jpg

18.jpg

Today, in dance class, we learned to Swing. This was one of my favorite dances. I love the upbeat tempo and swing music. James, however, didn't care so much for the faster dances. Let's just say that there was quite a bit of stumbling and toe-crushing involved. In our defense, we were much better at it this year than last year.

After class, James and I headed to deck 4 for a bit of recovery time before we returned to Azure for our second dance session. It was a lovely day.

19.jpg

We recovered quickly and were raring to go for our second dance session. Afterward, we made our way to Triton's for dinner. My family dined alone tonight. Our tablemates' eldest child caught the nasty cough that had been making its way around the ship. So, they opted to have dinner in their cabin.

20.jpg

I suppose it was a good thing that our tablemates weren't there tonight. Emily brought along enough crafts to cover half the table. Don't I look lovely? That's quite the look on my face.

21.jpg

Here I am posing with my new crown and bouquet.

22.1.jpg

Onto the meal. I started with the smoked duck breast salad. It was very good.

22.jpg

James had the Prosciutto.

23.jpg

Jimmy had the tiger shrimp. Emily passed on the appetizer portion this evening.

24.jpg

For our main course, James and I both had the venison medallions. These were wonderful!

25.jpg

Do you know, are the dance lessons only on the Panama cruises or are they offered on other cruises? Although we have four cruises under our belts, I do not remember seeing dance classes.

Kate

Do you know, are the dance lessons only on the Panama cruises or are they offered on other cruises? Although we have four cruises under our belts, I do not remember seeing dance classes.

Kate

The dance classes are currently only on the longer cruises - the Panama Canals and the Transatlantics. Willem did say that for the first time they were going to be on the recent 9 nt Southern Caribbean cruise. Willem said that he hopes to be able to expand to more DCL cruises in the future. If you ever get a chance to take a class with Willem & Natalia, I highly recommend it. Willem is a fabulous teacher, and they are all loads of fun.

The dance classes are currently only on the longer cruises - the Panama Canals and the Transatlantics. Willem did say that for the first time they were going to be on the recent 9 nt Southern Caribbean cruise. Willem said that he hopes to be able to expand to more DCL cruises in the future. If you ever get a chance to take a class with Willem & Natalia, I highly recommend it. Willem is a fabulous teacher, and they are all loads of fun.

I am going to put this on my "to do" list.

Thanks!
Kate

The kids both had lobster tails.

26.jpg

I felt very safe at dinner this evening with two Visions there to protect me.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Putu came by to amaze my young superheroes with some magic.

29.1.jpg

Time for dessert.

29.jpg

The kids and I indulged in one of our favorite desserts - chocolate lava cake. Here it is pre-ice cream.

30.jpg

And post-ice cream.

31.jpg

James, however, had a sundae...

32.jpg

...and the apple pie with extra ice cream.

33.jpg

The meal ended with a special visit from my favorite princess - Ariel! She led the children in a parade around the restaurant, while we adults waved our napkins. What a fun way to end a lovely dinner!

34.jpg

I had to share one last silly photo from dinner. Jimmy attempted to steal James' dessert. Now that's a capitol offense if I ever saw one!

36.jpg

After dinner, we stuck around the atrium. Earlier in the day, James ran into Charles Peachock. Charles told him that he would be holding an unannounced performance in the atrium at 7:30pm. We jumped on the chance see him juggle again.

37.jpg

7:30p came and went. We were beginning to wonder if James had simply hallucinated his conversation with Charles. Then, at about 7:45p, he appeared. As usual, Charles was fabulous! My children even had the opportunity to help him with his show.

38.jpg

The celebrity encounters didn't end there. Who stood alongside us while we watch Charles, but Gary Lovini. Not only was he an extraordinary violinist, but he also taught me how to do the moonwalk (which, interestingly enough, came in handy later in the cruise!)

39.jpg

I couldn't pass up an opportunity to get a picture with such handsome, talented men.

40.jpg

From the atrium, we went straight to the Walt Disney Theater for the crew talent show. This was so much fun! I am continuously blown away by the incredible talent aboard DCl ships. The show was educational, too. I learned how to say fork in Japanese - fork. :)

41.jpg

Upon leaving the theater, Jimmy left us for the Edge. Emily intended to join James and I for a movie in the Buena Vista Theater, but first, we needed snacks. James went for his usual.

42.jpg

I had a pineapple/coconut ice cream cone. Emily raided her stash of hoarded nightly chocolates. Though we'd seen Arrival prior to the cruise, we thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again. Its a great movie. I highly recommend it!

43.jpg

We returned to our cabin after the movie. It was time to get our beauty sleep. Tomorrow was certain to be another super-busy day.

50.jpg

51.jpg

Up Next: May the Fourth be with You in Puerto Vallarta.

Last edited:
Thursday, May 4, Puerto Vallarta

nav28.jpg

nav27.jpg

We slept in a bit this morning. Eventually, our rumbling bellies roused us from bed. James, Jimmy, and I dressed and slipped out of the cabin. We opted to let Emily continue to sleep.

We headed to Cabana's. I'm sure by now you can guess whose plate was whose.

1.jpg

2.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

2.3.jpg

We took a seat by a window. We had a lovely view of Puerto Vallarta.

2.jpg

3.jpg

On our way out of Cabana's, we realized that the ice cream machines were up and running. Jimmy and I just had to see what flavors they were offering today. They still had pineapple/coconut, our favorite. We took it as encouragement from the universe to have some.

4.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!