Making your own Droid Backpack. Anyone have dimensions?

AlwithaB

Earning My Ears
I am interested in trying the paracord bag for an R unit. I looks like something I could do fairly easily. Can someone tell me how big around the r unit is at it's widest point, and how tall from the top of the body unit to the floor?
I believe I got the following info from another site, but didn't bookmark it so not sure "The Droid Depot boxes are a hexagon shape with a width of 10.75 inches, depth of 10.75 inches, and height (with handle) of 18 inches.

The R astromech dimensions when unfolded are 12 inches tall by 8.5 inches wide by 8 inches deep, or about 30 by 20 by 22 cm. When the legs are folded together the dimensions change to 12.5 inches tall by 8.5 inches wide by 6.5 inches deep, or about 32 by 20 by 17 cm. Our R series droid weighs in around 3.2 pounds"

The above seems accurate to me. Based on it, I bought from Kohl's the high sierra clear toploader backpack. That backpack's dimensions are listed as 18"H x 10.5"W x 6.75"D. I used the backpack recently after making an R droid in SWGE. So you could either make own with above measurements as guide or if not wanting to make that backpack is $11. Let's you and everyone see the whole front of the droid. Has room on bottom for other stuff, droid sits on top, fold in top close, then can swivel the head and hear the droid when in bag.

AlwithaB

Earning My Ears
Do you think the Droids would fit in a regular backpack? Like an Under Armour backpack my kids use for school? I do not want to purchase the backpack. TIA
Only if it has a larger compartment. My R droid won't really fit in my standard backpacks. I just posted another comment with measurements on clear backpack that I got from Kohl's that worked. You could measure the compartment in your backpack and see if it is as wide and deep. If not, probably wouldn't work as there is a bit of extra room on bottom of the backpack for stuff, but not much on sides or back to front for anything besides the R droid.

lchuck

DIS Dad #826
Did anyone ever make their own paracord bag? If so, how'd it work out? I've got the materials, just need a bit of time to get started before our trip this summer.

• iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
    Did anyone ever make their own paracord bag? If so, how'd it work out? I've got the materials, just need a bit of time to get started before our trip this summer.
    I made one that is similar to the one sold by Star Wares Workshop on Etsy. It was convenient as a non-bulky way to carry around the droid, and it’s also easier to see if it’s reacting to the land (versus the backpack).

I used a 7” playground ball as my guide since I made the paracord bag before I made my droid.

The crossbody strap I bought from eBay (apparently it’s for a gun 😳) and I used the techniques in the water bottle paracord bag You Tube video I posted earlier in this thread.

Be sure to create a leash for the head if you’re making it for a BB unit since it can fall off.

Skippy6legs

Earning My Ears
    So... do you think a soccer ball backpack would work? A head piece chain would most likely have to be attached.

• ShadowCross

Mouseketeer
    I made one that is similar to the one sold by Star Wares Workshop on Etsy. It was convenient as a non-bulky way to carry around the droid, and it’s also easier to see if it’s reacting to the land (versus the backpack).

I used a 7” playground ball as my guide since I made the paracord bag before I made my droid.

The crossbody strap I bought from eBay (apparently it’s for a gun 😳) and I used the techniques in the water bottle paracord bag You Tube video I posted earlier in this thread.

Be sure to create a leash for the head if you’re making it for a BB unit since it can fall off.
    A leash so the head doesn't fall off is exactly the information I was looking for when I came back to this thread! Thank you! We are looking at buying the bags from the Etsy store, since they're about on par with the droid backpacks in batuu for cost but I was worried about my (future) bb units head falling off. Also, the bag you made (net? bag? whatever) is super cute! I like the color combo!

ShannyMcB

Mouseketeer

only hope

DIS Veteran
    Would something like this work for r or bb? What do you use for the bb leash?

That could work, I think, but I’d be afraid to open up the flap as there’s not much between the bottom of the backpack and the bottom zipper.

Walt Disney World Resort Reservations Available Through End of 2021

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.