Making your own Droid Backpack. Anyone have dimensions?

I'm excited to see how your bag turns out! The pattern looks great, although I wasn't 100% confident in my bag sewing abilities, so I decided to make a paracord bag for mine instead, similar to this one by StarWaresWorkshop on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/733887904/custom-color-bb-series-droid-harness

According to Smart Mouse Travel (link below), the BB unit is 3.5 pounds and the R unit is 3.2 pounds.

https://smartmousetravel.com/2019/08/11/galaxys-edge-droid-depot-custom-droid-building-experience/

Do you have any pics on how the paracord bag turned out or plans you followed? My boys are planning on building droids this summer and I'd like to surprise them with bags ready to use. I was also thinking smaller paracord bags would work well for holding the Coke bottles we will inevitably end up buying in Batuu.

Do you have any pics on how the paracord bag turned out or plans you followed? My boys are planning on building droids this summer and I'd like to surprise them with bags ready to use. I was also thinking smaller paracord bags would work well for holding the Coke bottles we will inevitably end up buying in Batuu.

I’m planning on making it in a couple weeks for my trip next month, so I’ll update with photos when it’s done! I’m basically making one very similar to the one StarWaresWorkshop on Etsy sells (he also makes a version for the Coke bottles too!). The body of the BB unit is 7” in diameter, so I’m going to use a similarly sized ball to create the paracord bag on.

I bought the strap on EBay (just search “two point sling”... apparently they‘re usually used for guns 😳) and will be using thisYou Tube video to learn how to do the paracord part:

Don’t forget to create a “leash” for the head if you’re making it for a BB unit (since they’re head can easily detach). I’ve been told a 12mm lobster claw clip fits on the attachment point on the head.

Urgh
Sorry I've not gotten the extra measurements done
It's been nuts since I got home late Tuesday night. I'll get it over the weekend

I’m planning on making it in a couple weeks for my trip next month, so I’ll update with photos when it’s done! I’m basically making one very similar to the one StarWaresWorkshop on Etsy sells (he also makes a version for the Coke bottles too!). The body of the BB unit is 7” in diameter, so I’m going to use a similarly sized ball to create the paracord bag on.

I bought the strap on EBay (just search “two point sling”... apparently they‘re usually used for guns 😳) and will be using thisYou Tube video to learn how to do the paracord part:

Don’t forget to create a “leash” for the head if you’re making it for a BB unit (since they’re head can easily detach). I’ve been told a 12mm lobster claw clip fits on the attachment point on the head.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing pics of your completed one.

Thank you so much for these measurements!!! Any chance you could measure the
1. dimensions of the peekaboo opening with the zipper open and the
2. distance from the bottom of the bag to the opening and the
3. depth of the foam insert at the bottom?
I have all my fabric ready. :)
1. Not 100% sure on what you need exactly but here's some numbers. Hopefully one is the right one
the flap itself, zipper to zipper, across, 7.5"
seam to top of zipper, 5.75
It's hard to measure the opening because it's flexible and flops around once open but it's roughly 8" wide and 6" high.
2. on the outside, it's 10" from the bottom seam to the folded down flap
It's right at 10" from the inside too.
3. It's rather odd to measure because it's made to fit both the round BB bottom and the legs of the R2 unit. So it's formed to fit both but basically it's
8" in the back
5" on the sides
6.5 in the front
with rounding to hold the BB

I was hoping to use those string bags - like the ones you get at Build-a-Bear - maybe with a piece of foam to make it more comfortable to carry. Has anyone tried this?
I tried in a string bag I have and BB fit, barely. R2 didn't go in. But they are awfully closed up. You wouldn't hear it walking around.
I have an American Girl doll bag that they work well in. IF you want a shoulder bag instead of a backpack. Be right back with photos. This bag is great with the extra storage it has, including a back zipper area (designed to hold clothes for the dolls. You can bring along extra stuff, no need for another bag. Just need to add something to hold a BB unit head on
Pardon the doggie. He is obsessed with these guys. I can't even get them out when he's around, he harasses them. Guess we know why there are no doggies in the Star Wars movies, LOL
97D9D66D-4AC5-46B1-A52A-FE7E5A450A1C.jpeg8E66DB60-ACD4-4214-A648-2BC6C27C7766.jpegE11C3004-4592-4413-AB74-26EC68FCE5E4.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:

I tried in a string bag I have and BB fit, barely. R2 didn't go in. But they are awfully closed up. You wouldn't hear it walking around.
I have an American Girl doll bag that they work well in. IF you want a shoulder bag instead of a backpack. Be right back with photos. This bag is great with the extra storage it has, including a back zipper area (designed to hold clothes for the dolls. You can bring along extra stuff, no need for another bag. Just need to add something to hold a BB unit head on
Pardon the doggie. He is obsessed with these guys. I can't even get them out when he's around, he harasses them. Guess we know why there are no doggies in the Star Wars movies, LOL
View attachment 468078View attachment 468079View attachment 468080View attachment 468082
Thank you so much for going the extra mile to try it out. Kinda bummed it didn't work but at least I am prepared now. I wish we had one of those backpacks (American Girl one) but we never got into those over here. It works so well! Maybe my neighbor has one.. hmm:scratchin
...and I love the puppy cameo! He's a cutie!

Very happy to help.
For someone buying a bag, the AG bag probably doesn't save any money over the Disney bag but it is a different design option. And great if you have one around already. It is almost perfect for the R units, really great fit. I think I'm going to try it on another trip and see if I can't find a longer strap to attach so I can wear it cross body.

These pet carriers from Amazon (both .com and .ca) work well for my kids.
For those planning to have their kids build droids, get reservations if you can (we saw 100-minute lines for people without them) and plan some time at the official? unofficial? droid play area. I consider it another attraction in Batuu.
F468445

For those planning to have their kids build droids, get reservations if you can (we saw 100-minute lines for people without them) and plan some time at the official? unofficial? droid play area. I consider it another attraction in Batuu.
FView attachment 468445

That is an awesome! Is that the small or medium size pet carrier bag from Amazon?

Also, it is still extremely difficult to get a hold of a Droid backpack in the parks lately? We'll be there in less than 2 weeks.

FView attachment 468445
Did you notice if they have a spot where you can attach a chain for a BB unit?

Did you notice if they have a spot where you can attach a chain for a BB unit?
I'm not sure what you mean. Is "they" Droid Depot? I didn't see and droids on chains or leashes, or see any for sale (but I wasn't looking).

That is an awesome! Is that the small or medium size pet carrier bag from Amazon?
Those are the Medium 0-7lbs models. As you see, there is still plenty of room for the remotes and some small items of your own in the separate front zipper pocket.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is "they" Droid Depot? I didn't see and droids on chains or leashes, or see any for sale (but I wasn't looking).

Those are the Medium 0-7lbs models. As you see, there is still plenty of room for the remotes and some small items of your own in the separate front zipper pocket.
they is the dog bags you got.
The BB units heads fall off if not attached to a chain when in a bag
The bags sold at Disney have a chain. It's shown and discussed in earlier photos in this thread. It's important or your droids head will fall off (I saw one fall off last weekend, they'll crack when landing on the hard ground)

they is the dog bags you got.
The BB units heads fall off if not attached to a chain when in a bag
The bags sold at Disney have a chain. It's shown and discussed in earlier photos in this thread. It's important or your droids head will fall off (I saw one fall off last weekend, they'll crack when landing on the hard ground)
Ah, interesting. Nope, nothing special inside the pet carriers. I will warn my third child with a droid, the only one with a BB unit.

I am interested in trying the paracord bag for an R unit. I looks like something I could do fairly easily. Can someone tell me how big around the r unit is at it's widest point, and how tall from the top of the body unit to the floor?

Such a big help thanks! I wonder if I would get in trouble selling my pattern when I’m done.

1. Not 100% sure on what you need exactly but here's some numbers. Hopefully one is the right one
the flap itself, zipper to zipper, across, 7.5"
seam to top of zipper, 5.75
It's hard to measure the opening because it's flexible and flops around once open but it's roughly 8" wide and 6" high.
2. on the outside, it's 10" from the bottom seam to the folded down flap
It's right at 10" from the inside too.
3. It's rather odd to measure because it's made to fit both the round BB bottom and the legs of the R2 unit. So it's formed to fit both but basically it's
8" in the back
5" on the sides
6.5 in the front
with rounding to hold the BB

Does anyone know the circumference of the BB unit body (the ball part)? I read it’s a 7” diameter, but I’m making a paracord bag and want to confirm the measurements before I make it!

I’m planning on bringing it when I make my droid later this month :-)

Does anyone know the circumference of the BB unit body (the ball part)? I read it’s a 7” diameter, but I’m making a paracord bag and want to confirm the measurements before I make it!

I’m planning on bringing it when I make my droid later this month :-)
7" diameter (if that is correct) would be a circumference of 22".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!