Male (mid 30s) considering 1st solo trip to WDW

petemg

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

Massive Disney fan and with my now ex fiance (actually got engaged at Cinderella's Royal Table) used to go twice a year, even though living in London. Now I haven't been in over 4 years and really missing it. Gutted I also didn't get to see Wishes one last time :(

None of my family and friends are really into going to WDW (maybe I need new friends ha) So I was weighing up the option of a 2018 solo trip. Just looking for some general advice I guess as I am still on the fence. One side is my massive urge and wanting to spend time in WDW the other is as a solo guy would I be frowned upon?

If anyone is also up for meeting over there in May next year I could be down with that.

Thanks all,

Peter

Hi All,

Massive Disney fan and with my now ex fiance (actually got engaged at Cinderella's Royal Table) used to go twice a year, even though living in London. Now I haven't been in over 4 years and really missing it. Gutted I also didn't get to see Wishes one last time :(

None of my family and friends are really into going to WDW (maybe I need new friends ha) So I was weighing up the option of a 2018 solo trip. Just looking for some general advice I guess as I am still on the fence. One side is my massive urge and wanting to spend time in WDW the other is as a solo guy would I be frowned upon?

If anyone is also up for meeting over there in May next year I could be down with that.

Thanks all,

Peter

Not at all. Nobody really cares as long as you are respectful, and most people will even talk to you. I went to Blizzard Beach alone in May and really didn't have problems even there. Even talked to a couple of the families there. That was impromptu but going back for the theme parks in September. Let me know your dates for May when you get them worked out. I may be in Orlando then anyway(I know SeaWorld will have a food festival then so will probably do a day there on that trip, in addition).

Solo can be fun, and don't worry about being a solo male there. Most people don't care at all. Most won't even notice you. Being self-conscious might make you think they are, but most people are too wrapped up in their own fun. Just go with it and you'll be fine.

I will say, when I go solo, I do tend to keep the trip shorter, like 2 or 3 days. One reason is that you can move faster and get more done by yourself, but I also find that it's the right amount of time to be there alone. A longer trip might bother me. Of course, if you're coming from the UK, you'd probably want to stay longer, but you could schedule a little down time or pool time for just relaxing. I dunno, that's jut my experience.

Also, I will say, having done WDW solo and also Dinseyland, I find that DL is a bit more solo-friendly. I think because a lot of locals go and they just pop in for a bit here and there, sometimes as a group and sometimes alone, it's not seen as all that odd. Not that I think it's odd at WDW, but WDW is very family oriented, and there is also a lot of transportation time and stuff. DLR has two parks in close proximity and you can really just own them when solo. It's great!

Anyway, I encourage you to go. Don't worry about being solo. You will not be frowned upon. CMs will treat you great and you can make new friends if you're the chatty type. You can meet some DISers too. There are a lot of threads on here where people meet up. Just go and have fun!

Welcome to the Dis.

Solo can be fun, and don't worry about being a solo male there. Most people don't care at all. Most won't even notice you. Being self-conscious might make you think they are, but most people are too wrapped up in their own fun. Just go with it and you'll be fine.

I will say, when I go solo, I do tend to keep the trip shorter, like 2 or 3 days. One reason is that you can move faster and get more done by yourself, but I also find that it's the right amount of time to be there alone. A longer trip might bother me. Of course, if you're coming from the UK, you'd probably want to stay longer, but you could schedule a little down time or pool time for just relaxing. I dunno, that's jut my experience.

Also, I will say, having done WDW solo and also Dinseyland, I find that DL is a bit more solo-friendly. I think because a lot of locals go and they just pop in for a bit here and there, sometimes as a group and sometimes alone, it's not seen as all that odd. Not that I think it's odd at WDW, but WDW is very family oriented, and there is also a lot of transportation time and stuff. DLR has two parks in close proximity and you can really just own them when solo. It's great!

Anyway, I encourage you to go. Don't worry about being solo. You will not be frowned upon. CMs will treat you great and you can make new friends if you're the chatty type. You can meet some DISers too. There are a lot of threads on here where people meet up. Just go and have fun!

Welcome to the Dis.

A 4 Park Magic Ticket(if available in the UK) would be ideal for a solo trip, as long as you don't want to park hop. Allows for one park day per park over any four days in a 14 day period. Do remember all tickets expire now, but it's a two year expiry on regular tickets(this years are good through 12/31/18) but the 4 park tickets have a shorter expiration period. They are however cheaper, and come available around 90 days in advance. If you will be traveling in excess of 10 days, an annual pass may be better financially. Just figure out the number of days you want and do the math. There are a lot of new shows and fireworks this year, plus Pandora opened at Animal Kingdom two months ago.

A 4 Park Magic Ticket(if available in the UK) would be ideal for a solo trip, as long as you don't want to park hop. Allows for one park day per park over any four days in a 14 day period. Do remember all tickets expire now, but it's a two year expiry on regular tickets(this years are good through 12/31/18) but the 4 park tickets have a shorter expiration period. They are however cheaper, and come available around 90 days in advance. If you will be traveling in excess of 10 days, an annual pass may be better financially. Just figure out the number of days you want and do the math. There are a lot of new shows and fireworks this year, plus Pandora opened at Animal Kingdom two months ago.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your replies. How was Blizzard Beach on your own? I would love to do the water parks too. I am thinking maybe second week of May? If you are around then I would be happy to meet up. I think I would still prefer a hopper ticket just to give that freedom for the week. I have seen a lot on the new shows and fireworks and cant wait to see them all. Happily ever after looks amazing

Welcome to the Dis.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

That reassuring to know that most wont notice. Yes as you said coming from the UK with the flight prices would just be better for at least 7 days. I could relax around the pool though. I would be thinking of DL maybe after WDW. WDW just feels like 'home'. I would have no problem chatting, although maybe shy starting conversations ha. Would also love to meet some DISers too.

Thanks again :)

My job has taken me to Orlando multiple times in the last few years, which is how I started going solo. I had the same concerns as you had, but in reality there's no need to worry at all.

I used to work at Disneyland and got comfortable with the idea of wandering the theme parks by myself there when not working. It's really no different at WDW. I've eaten at table and quick service restaurants, made all of the FastPass+ reservations I've wanted, relaxed at the resort, and visited the water parks by myself. If you're comfortable doing this in your hometown, it is no different.

Unless you're specifically looking for other solo travelers, you'll find that they blend in with the crowds very well.

My longest trip solo has been five days/four nights, but I didn't feel like I ran out of things to do even on my own.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your replies. How was Blizzard Beach on your own? I would love to do the water parks too. I am thinking maybe second week of May? If you are around then I would be happy to meet up. I think I would still prefer a hopper ticket just to give that freedom for the week. I have seen a lot on the new shows and fireworks and cant wait to see them all. Happily ever after looks amazing

Blizzard Beach was fun, though Summit Plummet and Slush Gusher are a little rough. I thought that park could use better food, but for a quick meal it was ok. Most of the people were really friendly, although the water on the lazy river wasn't so much(you pass under concentrated waterfalls of really cold water). In May, the water parks are open until around 5pm or 6pm. I went at the very beginning of May. I was down there to upgrade tickets and pretty much decided on the water park last minute. I rode down to Orlando(I live in Virginia) on a bus, so really didn't want to go up to Aquatica(I am a pass member until this August at least) that day, and Volcano Bay(Universal) wasn't open yet. I would have went to Epcot probably had it been bad weather, but I lucked up. All in all the experience was pleasant, and the cast members were quite friendly. That was also my first Disney experience ever(my family couldn't afford to go down like some others in my area).

My job has taken me to Orlando multiple times in the last few years, which is how I started going solo. I had the same concerns as you had, but in reality there's no need to worry at all.

I used to work at Disneyland and got comfortable with the idea of wandering the theme parks by myself there when not working. It's really no different at WDW. I've eaten at table and quick service restaurants, made all of the FastPass+ reservations I've wanted, relaxed at the resort, and visited the water parks by myself. If you're comfortable doing this in your hometown, it is no different.

Unless you're specifically looking for other solo travelers, you'll find that they blend in with the crowds very well.

My longest trip solo has been five days/four nights, but I didn't feel like I ran out of things to do even on my own.

I have noticed cast members do tend to spend a lot of their off days in the park. I have a friend who works in the PhotoPass department at WDW and she spends a lot of time in the parks.

I am around your age and happened to be in Florida last year so I stopped in for a 3 day trip by myself that was pretty fun. I took the opportunity to do a tour one of the days, so that was a big perk for me. I didn't do any ADR's but I know plenty of people go solo and still get them.

I have made at least one solo trip per year since 2001. I am now 69 years old, so if you do the math I was in my early 50's before I ever did one solo trip. I have never noticed being treated differently, I'm always friendly and outgoing so I have many conversations with people and even kids. For the most part no one really knows that you are there by yourself. Why would they? Many times families split up and one goes to one attraction and the others go to different ones. Unless you say it, no on really know. I even found a way to ride family type rides and not be self conscience about it. Here's the deal... the people in front of you in the queue think that you are with the group behind them and the group behind thinks you are with the group in front. If you don't tell them they will never know. When you get to the ride you will be asked... How many? You say one they put you in place and those in front don't really know what happened and those behind are to busy getting themselves ready to pay any attention. The only time you can be made to feel uncomfortable is when you let yourself feel uncomfortable. In short... no one else really cares one way or the other about what you are doing. They are not paying attention to you in any degree. Just go, do what you want and don't worry about it. Even the ones that I have told, do not seem to be concerned at all except for the occasional question of "what do you do here by yourself"? The answer is... the same things you do except for less money and exactly to my schedule.

I have to agree with all above - you should definitely do this without any hesitation! I too have been in Orlando many times solo on business and have gone to the parks and loved the freedom!

I think if you post on here when your trip dates are known or closer you may find some folks who will be in the parks at the same time if that is what you are looking for! I tend to be up there 2x per month now at least and would appreciate meeting other Disney fans!

Some tips: if time permits, explore Fort Wilderness (bike ride, horses, etc.), or rent a boat on Bay Lake. Resort hop. Sleep late and stay out late if you like:) Hop all you want or not at all! Grab counter seating at some restaurants and chat with new people. When I am at a dining location solo, I often find the CM's go out of their way to strike up conversation! You can and will have a blast!

I have to agree with all above - you should definitely do this without any hesitation! I too have been in Orlando many times solo on business and have gone to the parks and loved the freedom!

I think if you post on here when your trip dates are known or closer you may find some folks who will be in the parks at the same time if that is what you are looking for! I tend to be up there 2x per month now at least and would appreciate meeting other Disney fans!

Some tips: if time permits, explore Fort Wilderness (bike ride, horses, etc.), or rent a boat on Bay Lake. Resort hop. Sleep late and stay out late if you like:) Hop all you want or not at all! Grab counter seating at some restaurants and chat with new people. When I am at a dining location solo, I often find the CM's go out of their way to strike up conversation! You can and will have a blast!

Inbox me. I will be staying at the Fort in September and could use some tips on the Fort itself.

Hey Peter,

I'm from the UK and come over to WDW for a solo trip every year. My shortest trip was just 7 days and my longest has been 2 weeks at WDW followed by 3 days at Universal. I love taking photographs at WDW so I take my time heading through the parks (although as PP said, it is easier to negotiate the crowds on your own). As you haven't been in a while you might want to do a longer trip (say 10 days so 2 days travel and 8 full potential park days) so you don't feel rushed because that's when I think you miss stuff and I have learnt SO much since my first solo trip I now do things completely differently.

WDW is one of the biggest conference venues in the US so there are always people around solo and most of the time you'll never even notice them. That person saying 1 person in their party, perhaps their here on their own or perhaps their family is waiting outside. No one really bats an eye.

Most people tend to be self conscious about eating alone or meeting characters alone but if that's what you want to do then go for it! I love meeting characters and eating at all different places. I just take a kindle or write my trip report while I eat and sure you might get the odd look but that is entirely THEIR problem NOT yours! Personally I like to think they're just jealous :rotfl2:

So as you're on the fence I would recommend you make a list of all things you really want to do, restaurants you'd love to eat at, experiences you've never done. Maybe buy a guide book so you want see what's new (sounds like you've not been since FP+ and Magic Bands appeared). I'd also recommend you read some solo trip reports and see all the fun we get up to.

The best thing about solo trips is that you get to do exactly what YOU want when you want it. Seriously come join the solo trippers club!

Hey Peter,

I'm from the UK and come over to WDW for a solo trip every year. My shortest trip was just 7 days and my longest has been 2 weeks at WDW followed by 3 days at Universal. I love taking photographs at WDW so I take my time heading through the parks (although as PP said, it is easier to negotiate the crowds on your own). As you haven't been in a while you might want to do a longer trip (say 10 days so 2 days travel and 8 full potential park days) so you don't feel rushed because that's when I think you miss stuff and I have learnt SO much since my first solo trip I now do things completely differently.

WDW is one of the biggest conference venues in the US so there are always people around solo and most of the time you'll never even notice them. That person saying 1 person in their party, perhaps their here on their own or perhaps their family is waiting outside. No one really bats an eye.

Most people tend to be self conscious about eating alone or meeting characters alone but if that's what you want to do then go for it! I love meeting characters and eating at all different places. I just take a kindle or write my trip report while I eat and sure you might get the odd look but that is entirely THEIR problem NOT yours! Personally I like to think they're just jealous :rotfl2:

So as you're on the fence I would recommend you make a list of all things you really want to do, restaurants you'd love to eat at, experiences you've never done. Maybe buy a guide book so you want see what's new (sounds like you've not been since FP+ and Magic Bands appeared). I'd also recommend you read some solo trip reports and see all the fun we get up to.

The best thing about solo trips is that you get to do exactly what YOU want when you want it. Seriously come join the solo trippers club!

Plus there are three new evening shows/fireworks and a dinner ADR at Be Our Guest is highly recommended if you want to eat there. It is also the only place to meet Beast now.

I did a solo for my 40th birthday this past January. Felt completely comfortable. Even wound up sharing a table at breakfast with another solo traveler who was there for rope drop.

The only thing I didn't want to do was full service meals. I like to keep a pretty brisk pace in the parks, so I stuck to counter service.

If it's been a few years, consider getting the express transportation option to make the most of your park hopper. You can switch parks extremely conveniently that was as long as you don't mind entering your 2nd or 3rd park of the day via a side entrance.

Plus there are three new evening shows/fireworks and a dinner ADR at Be Our Guest is highly recommended if you want to eat there. It is also the only place to meet Beast now.

And if you do BOG for breakfast - think 8am or so - you will miss Beast, but most likely get to scoot right over to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train before opening. Great way to conserve a fast pass!

And if you do BOG for breakfast - think 8am or so - you will miss Beast, but most likely get to scoot right over to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train before opening. Great way to conserve a fast pass!

All about priorities, but in my particular case, I am going to have a regular day at MK and a Halloween Party on my September trip, so essentially two full days. However, on a normal day, if you only had one day, you would have to choose. Space Mountain has the advantage of a solo rider line, as does Expedition Everest, so that helps with fastpasses as well.

I love going solo! I went solo for a day trip a couple of weeks ago. I was worried about what people would think, but no one batted an eye. I met characters, went on the rides, and dined at a TS restaurant, and no one treated me any different than the couples and families around me. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to go solo for a couple of three-day weekends this coming school year (I'm a teacher).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter