Anyone done the virtual running shorts? I would normally skip it, but it looks like maybe the medals are Incredibles themed? (I'm a sucker for The Incredibles). Just curious about anyone's experience.

Anyone done the virtual running shorts? I would normally skip it, but it looks like maybe the medals are Incredibles themed? (I'm a sucker for The Incredibles). Just curious about anyone's experience.

I know @rteetz did it one year, I don't remember if he did both.

I'm in the same boat ... I wouldn't normally be interested, but it's The Incredibles...

I know @rteetz did it one year, I don't remember if he did both.

I'm in the same boat ... I wouldn't normally be interested, but it's The Incredibles...
Honestly, if I had known the inaugural Mickey virtual 5Ks ended with that completion medal I would have signed up for those. But the description of shorts, shoes, and his glove didn't intrigue me.

It honestly feels a little exploitative of medal fans with a little disposable income, but again...Incredibles.
I get this. Maybe I've convinced myself of this, but I feel like the runDisney virtual series races are perhaps targeting a different audience than those of us already participating in runDisney races. When wearing my race medals around the parks I've talked with so many non runners who are interested in the medal. And despite my best efforts to convey to them that it's not impossible because I did it as a slow runner, I often feel like they believe the distance is simply too far. I get that. I used to believe that myself. I might still believe that myself in relation to running a full.

I think a lot of people fear they're too slow. Perhaps they have other fears about physical fitness, weight, whatever. Well, the virtual races give them a chance to go the distance on their time. And maybe if they finish a virtual race, they discover that it's more fun than they thought and maybe next time they'll sign up for a race on Disney property or elsewhere. I also feel like the virtual races give international runners a chance to earn a runDisney medal even though distance/time of year makes a runDisney event extremely difficult.

I understand why some dislike virtual races. I feel like virtual races have a place. And if the medal doesn't interest me, then I can simply skip it.

I'm almost positive I'm signing up for this year's virtual series. I love The Incredibles and this will be a cool way to celebrate The Incredibles II this summer.

We've done it both years and will again. It's a lot of fun to do over the summer and I set the same course so each race I can compare my time. Sure, it's a pure money grab for Disney, but I really don't care. The medals are very nice and the little extra goodies are neat too. The 5k shorts series are the only virtuals we've ever done because virtuals aren't really my thing but runDisney suckered us in & I have found it worth it for us. Last year the medals came before June so we then unwrapped each one after we ran it. We set the dates for each one like you would real races. Everyone does it different and it's fun to see others from all around complete them with posts here or in facebook groups. They had merchandise for it last year too for sale, like hat, pin, shirt. We made simple shirts however, but did buy the pin.
Come on over to the virtual short thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-virtual-shorts-an-incredible-year-3.3549426/.

Honestly, if I had known the inaugural Mickey virtual 5Ks ended with that completion medal I would have signed up for those. But the description of shorts, shoes, and his glove didn't intrigue me.

I get this. Maybe I've convinced myself of this, but I feel like the runDisney virtual series races are perhaps targeting a different audience than those of us already participating in runDisney races. When wearing my race medals around the parks I've talked with so many non runners who are interested in the medal. And despite my best efforts to convey to them that it's not impossible because I did it as a slow runner, I often feel like they believe the distance is simply too far. I get that. I used to believe that myself. I might still believe that myself in relation to running a full.

I think a lot of people fear they're too slow. Perhaps they have other fears about physical fitness, weight, whatever. Well, the virtual races give them a chance to go the distance on their time. And maybe if they finish a virtual race, they discover that it's more fun than they thought and maybe next time they'll sign up for a race on Disney property or elsewhere. I also feel like the virtual races give international runners a chance to earn a runDisney medal even though distance/time of year makes a runDisney event extremely difficult.

I understand why some dislike virtual races. I feel like virtual races have a place. And if the medal doesn't interest me, then I can simply skip it.

I'm almost positive I'm signing up for this year's virtual series. I love The Incredibles and this will be a cool way to celebrate The Incredibles II this summer.

Good points.

I’m iffy on the virtual races. At this point, I'd rather have that money for other things and while I love The Incredibles, I’m not in love with the medals. If I’m treating those like Disney memorabilia, there are things I’d rather buy.

Last edited:
What @rteetz said - 2018 Dopey sold out within 20 minutes or so.

2017 Dopey sat around for months, and then just closed suddenly. I imagine Dopey 2019 will be similar to Dopey 2017.

I see the 5k & 10k going farely fast, the Half sells out around a week or two, but Dopey, Goofy & the Full sit open for a while if they even sell out. If we're making predictions that is which I really have no clue but with no anniversary that's my thoughts. I definitly feel like I've heard of less people planning on Dopey versus last year where everyone was planning on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!