Marathon Weekend 2021

Put me down for a very tentative maybe (like 5% chance) for the 5K and 10K. I'd love to come back down and see if I can finally have a decent 10K for once. WDW is the only place I'm willing to risk it. (I have terrible 10K luck and have sworn off 10K races, even though I love the distance)

Sounds like you’re due for a good experience! So why not let that be at Marathon Weekend?

If I come down and attempt the half again, I’ve told my husband it will be a kidless trip and the only focus will be the race. I’m going to find a couple local 10 mile races to get my confidence back up (and maybe shave off those last couple minutes so I can snag a C corral), and will then make the definite decision. But I should probably book that DVC room just in case...

I am hoping to do the half as my first runDisney race! I started running in 2018 after learning it's not so bad once I slow down. I have only run two races, a 5k and a 10 mile, but I hope to have a few more under my belt by next year. My biggest concern is weather (both here in MN and in FL) since snow could really hurt my training over November/December, and it would be tough for me to run in conditions like this year's marathon weekend. But the half is not so bad compared to the marathon so I'm hoping to stay injury free so I can run in the World!

If I come down and attempt the half again, I’ve told my husband it will be a kidless trip and the only focus will be the race. I’m going to find a couple local 10 mile races to get my confidence back up (and maybe shave off those last couple minutes so I can snag a C corral), and will then make the definite decision. But I should probably book that DVC room just in case...

Not sure where you’re from, but there’s always Broad Street Run in Philly the first weekend of May. That’s the race I used for my PoT that got me into the C corral.

Not sure where you’re from, but there’s always Broad Street Run in Philly the first weekend of May. That’s the race I used for my PoT that got me into the C corral.
I’m from southwestern CT, so that isn’t a bad distance to go. I’ll look into it, thanks!

My girls (college age with 2 of their friends) ran the half yesterday. So my sister-in-law and I got to talking and we decided we're going to do the 10K next year with our 3 daughters. So I have a lot of questions...

1) is booking the 10K like booking a DVC moonlight magic event where we have to be ready to queue up right at the specific time it opens? And we are DVC and AP so do we get advance booking? Would DDs get advanced booking for having ran the half this year?

2) is the expo we need to go to in order to check in and get bib the day before the 10K? DDs went Friday and their half marathon was Saturday. So we'd go Thur for the 10K on Fri?

3) would you rather stay at BWV or Poly or SSR? How crowded is taking monorail to race? I assume, for BWV, we'd need to drive or bus to front of Epcot and can't walk through from back International Gate?

4) also for booking the race...can I book it for my whole party (SIL, 2 DDs, niece and myself)? Do they all have to be on my room resie or linked on MDE or something? Or when I book I can just select 5 spots?

That's it for now. Thanks!

Sounds like you’re due for a good experience! So why not let that be at Marathon Weekend?
I'm definitely open to the idea. Just need to find a crew to go down with me since I can't do solo again and I've learned that I only play nicely with others in limited situations.

1) is booking the 10K like booking a DVC moonlight magic event where we have to be ready to queue up right at the specific time it opens? And we are DVC and AP so do we get advance booking? Would DDs get advanced booking for having ran the half this year?
Yes. The 10K sells very quickly, so being ready right when it opens can sometimes be a necessity. Assuming they continue as it has been in the past, DVC/AP will have access to a limited advance registration that opens the Thursday before general registration.

2) is the expo we need to go to in order to check in and get bib the day before the 10K? DDs went Friday and their half marathon was Saturday. So we'd go Thur for the 10K on Fri?
The expo opens on Wednesday, and you can go any day before your race. So Wednesday or Thursday would be fine.

4) also for booking the race...can I book it for my whole party (SIL, 2 DDs, niece and myself)? Do they all have to be on my room resie or linked on MDE or something? Or when I book I can just select 5 spots?

You can register for everyone. Registration will be at rundisney.com, and after you finish filling out the form for yourself, it gives you the option to add another registration - you can keep doing that until you've filled out the form for all five people. No need to link anyone to your account, but if you fill out the form for everyone, you'll be managing everyone's registrations (which means that if any changes need to be made, you're the one who has to do it). Alternatively, you can fill out the form and pay for everyone, but then contact runDisney to have them put each person's registration on their own accounts.

I am hoping to do the half as my first runDisney race! I started running in 2018 after learning it's not so bad once I slow down. I have only run two races, a 5k and a 10 mile, but I hope to have a few more under my belt by next year. My biggest concern is weather (both here in MN and in FL) since snow could really hurt my training over November/December, and it would be tough for me to run in conditions like this year's marathon weekend. But the half is not so bad compared to the marathon so I'm hoping to stay injury free so I can run in the World!
I ran Dopey in 2017 training through two Minnesota winters. I restarted running in November of 2015 and carried it through to the 2017 Dopey. The snow isn’t bad, just have to slow down some. It’s the cold and wind that really gets you. I was out running the last three days here in MN and even with all the layers was starting to feel the cold. But to me, running in the cold/snow is still better than a treadmill.

I ran Dopey in 2017 training through two Minnesota winters. I restarted running in November of 2015 and carried it through to the 2017 Dopey. The snow isn’t bad, just have to slow down some. It’s the cold and wind that really gets you. I was out running the last three days here in MN and even with all the layers was starting to feel the cold. But to me, running in the cold/snow is still better than a treadmill.
That’s very reassuring! I’ve gone out maybe half a dozen times this winter and have gotten pretty good about bundling up, the ice is my biggest issue. I need to invest in yaktrax or something, I’m terrified of slipping! The soft packed snow is a lot better and it feels like running in sand to me. So running on the pavement in Florida will hopefully feel like nothing! And totally agree on the treadmill. That’s how I learned to run and now I can hardly stand to do more than a few miles on it at a time.

I’m in. Haven’t decided what events yet. I talked my friend into the 5 and 10Ks this year and now he’s addicted and is going to do the half, and he’s convincing his wife to do the 5k. So I will probably at least do the 10k and half.

I'm in. I need a do-over since I was one of the runners (barely) behind the course adjustment yesterday. I'll probably do the 10K and Full again. I enjoyed having the 10K as kind of a shake out and hoping they keep Oswald as he's my fav. The down day between was nice, too. Not sure I'm up for Dopey just yet!

And I'll definitely stay for DATW! So much FOMO getting on my flight this morning.

I’m in, but not sure which race yet. The half marathon is my tradition, so probably that. My boyfriend and I have been deliberating about trying the marathon or Goofy or Dopey since 2016, so we’ll see if maybe this is the year we attempt 26.2 for the first time.

Before this year's trip, my wife was definitely indicating we may need to take a year off, but on the way home yesterday there was discussion of maybe just doing the marathon to keep the streak going. So I'm probably in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!