Marathon Weekend 2021

Has anyone noticed any recent activity,or lack of, that would indicate which way Marathon weekend is headed? Volunteers etc?
Thanks!

Nothing on regular volunteers (do think they did medical). I saw somebody on facebook say that registration day for medical volunteeers for princess passed without it opening up.

Has anyone noticed any recent activity,or lack of, that would indicate which way Marathon weekend is headed? Volunteers etc?
Thanks!
I could see them trying to pull this off with very few volunteers needed. Self-serve hydration/nutrition on course, no expo (deliver packets to hotel, preorder merch only), get your medal at the finish, grab your own banana/box, etc. They obviously still would need medical support and police/road safety.

I thought we would've had an update by now, but nothing yet. Hopefully we'll get one soon.

I'm still expecting one by end of the month. Even if it is happening they need to let people know what it is going to look like since we know a traditional rundisney race setup can't happen right now.

I thought we would've had an update by now, but nothing yet. Hopefully we'll get one soon.

The only thing we’re likely to get an update for is if they decide to cancel/go virtual. They stated that they were planning to hold it as scheduled when they pulled the plug on W&D. I’m happy with “no news is good news” at this point.

The only thing we’re likely to get an update for is if they decide to cancel/go virtual. They stated that they were planning to hold it as scheduled when they pulled the plug on W&D. I’m happy with “no news is good news” at this point.
Have they revealed the medals yet? Last year they did it during the first week of Sept. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Have they revealed the medals yet? Last year they did it during the first week of Sept. Hopefully we hear something soon.

No medals yet. With W&D weekend they revealed the medals at the same time when they announced the race was going virtual. I'm okay waiting longer than usual for medals if it means we get races. I'm like 99% sure, barring any major turn for the worse, that I'll be at marathon weekend whether there are races or not. But I hope there are races :)

No medals yet. With W&D weekend they revealed the medals at the same time when they announced the race was going virtual. I'm okay waiting longer than usual for medals if it means we get races. I'm like 99% sure, barring any major turn for the worse, that I'll be at marathon weekend whether there are races or not. But I hope there are races :)

When I cancelled my trip for last week one reason is because I had te january trip also on the books (last week's trip was the "free dining" offer from star wars canellation) and I've pretty much decided I'm going on that trip regardless.

got word about my last 2020 event that was up in the air and it will be a live run:
masks pre/post race, no hydration provided, staggered waves of 40 runners every 30 seconds....it's also moving from being a road race to being on a cross country course so is there anything I need to adjust with my training?
(FWIW it's a 4 race series with a 5K Friday Night, a 1 miler and 3K Saturday Morning then another 5K Saturday Night)

got word about my last 2020 event that was up in the air and it will be a live run:
masks pre/post race, no hydration provided, staggered waves of 40 runners every 30 seconds....it's also moving from being a road race to being on a cross country course so is there anything I need to adjust with my training?
(FWIW it's a 4 race series with a 5K Friday Night, a 1 miler and 3K Saturday Morning then another 5K Saturday Night)

If you mean it's going to be on a trail and not on a road then I'd definitely add at least a few trail runs into your training because trail running is a little different so you don't want the first time to be on race day.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you’ve got a trail handy, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do a couple of prep runs on it as @Krandor suggests, but I wouldn’t call it an absolute necessity. I train exclusively on roads/sidewalks, but did my first ever trail run as a half marathon on a single track mountain bike trail. You learn pretty quickly to focus on foot placement out of sheer self defense.

One thing you may want to keep in mind/prepare for is that trail running can be lower impact, but higher fatigue than road racing. It makes a big difference whether the trail is wide, smooth crushed gravel or uneven and rooty. If it’s more the latter, you lose a good bit of running efficiency due to not being able to settle into a nice, regular stride rhythm. Also, don’t underestimate the additional impact of mental fatigue on that type of trail due to the need to concentrate on the safe placement of every footfall.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you’ve got a trail handy, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do a couple of prep runs on it as @Krandor suggests, but I wouldn’t call it an absolute necessity. I train exclusively on roads/sidewalks, but did my first ever trail run as a half marathon on a single track mountain bike trail. You learn pretty quickly to focus on foot placement out of sheer self defense.

One thing you may want to keep in mind/prepare for is that trail running can be lower impact, but higher fatigue than road racing. It makes a big difference whether the trail is wide, smooth crushed gravel or uneven and rooty. If it’s more the latter, you lose a good bit of running efficiency due to not being able to settle into a nice, regular stride rhythm. Also, don’t underestimate the additional impact of mental fatigue on that type of trail due to the need to concentrate on the safe placement of every footfall.

its amazing. You can be runninh along minding your own business and those roots can come outs of nowhere and grab your foot.

its amazing. You can be runninh along minding your own business and those roots can come outs of nowhere and grab your foot.

I made it 12 miles of that aforementioned half marathon before my concentration lapsed as I crested a hill and caught my toe on a root. I ended up rolling most of the way down the side of the hill. On the plus side, the rolling was probably at a better pace than I was running at that point.

I had a 5k like that last year and never really had trail experience. So I just decided going in that it would be more about the experience than speed. I ended up getting an age group award. I'd like to think it was because I didn't burn out in the first mile like I tend to do, but it was probably since only like 7 people showed up in my age range :)
The biggest thing for me was dodging puddles that day. Weaving and trying not to slip on grass.

When I cancelled my trip for last week one reason is because I had te january trip also on the books (last week's trip was the "free dining" offer from star wars canellation) and I've pretty much decided I'm going on that trip regardless.

Same. I cancelled my trip last week (had only booked airfare, so it was more of a never finished planning) for the same reason. I’m in for my January trip, as long as it is possible, whether we run or not.

Some positive news (I am trying to stay optimistic for marathon weekend!) - Ironman has not cancelled IM Florida or IM Arizona, both are at the beginning of November. The number of athletes in these races is less than marathon weekend, but it is a major international branded race organization so maybe if they pull it off Disney will consider going ahead with marathon weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter