Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

Kathy, we were at WDW 7/12-7/17 and it definitely was worth the visit!! Disney is definitely doing the safety part well! I hope Canada will let you make the choice to travel when you're ready because it was a memorable trip for sure! I will be doing a TR for it, just haven't got started yet!

In Disney news.....hmmm I wore my Minnie Mouse shirt today....and um......oh, I decided to take Disney's offer of an additional one month extension on my AP rather than cancelling it. I had used five days of it plus parking and a whack of discounted merchandise, you know, when the world ended in March. I had just activated the AP on March 8.
Hopefully you will get back before August of next year. Luckily they extended our tickets to September '21 so Jack and I are rescheduled for late August next year. Fingers crossed!
Not sure when we are moving to phase 3 here, but I'm really in no hurry. It still feels like a zombie appocalypse out there to me and I'm in no rush to resume normal living when the virus could explode again at any time, and there are so many covidiots out there not taking this seriously enough.
Agreed! While we are now level 3 in northern York Region, I am nowhere near ready to be inside a restaurant. I've done patio dining a few times now but am very nervous of crowds. There are way too many people not taking it seriously, then I look at what is happening south of our border and just shake my head. These are very uncertain times.
We have a long weekend coming up here so we will probably head a few hours North to my parents' cottage where we can really social distance!! It's fun, but it takes a lot of planning to avoid going into the nearest town for supplies. We can go if we need to, but the small towns do not appreciate the city people coming up from higher COVID areas just in case, so we really try to avoid going to their stores and services.
As someone who lives in a small town on the way to cottage country, I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I actually had to block the aisle at my local store as there were "out of towners" going down the wrong way and not respecting the rules. He was quite belligerent but I held my ground. I tell people if they are not wearing their mask correctly too, so yes I am that person, lol!
Yes, you can fly on an American carrier. Air Canada and West Jet cancelled all their Orlando flights for August but there are flights on Delta etc. There is still a level 4 advisory against all non essential travel from the federal government so I wouldn't consider it.
Yes! We can travel West, but not East (at least not really).
What are the current rules for entering Manitoba? Is the 14 day quarantine still in effect? For PEI (where I grew up and still own a cottage), only non resident property owners or people with family in need of support can apply to go. You must isolate for 14 days. For me, it's just not worth it. I can't see taking a month just so I can have 2 weeks on the Island. It's hard as I do worry about my parents but what can you do?

Yes, you can fly on an American carrier. Air Canada and West Jet cancelled all their Orlando flights for August but there are flights on Delta etc. There is still a level 4 advisory against all non essential travel from the federal government so I wouldn't consider it.
I am surprised! That you can travel at all, I mean. So... it's an advisory and not an edict, then. Still... I'm with you and wouldn't consider it either.
What are the current rules for entering Manitoba? Is the 14 day quarantine still in effect? For PEI (where I grew up and still own a cottage), only non resident property owners or people with family in need of support can apply to go. You must isolate for 14 days. For me, it's just not worth it. I can't see taking a month just so I can have 2 weeks on the Island. It's hard as I do worry about my parents but what can you do?
14-day self-isolation requirements for those traveling into Manitoba from eastern and southern Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. Elsewhere in Canada, no restrictions. For now.

Ermmmm... I can. Not sure about you. Different rules for different provinces.

I found some more info. Seems from Ontario we can travel to BC and Manitoba. But, I'm not sure I'd want to be on a plane for that long for either of those. For the maritime provinces you have to isolate for 2 weeks on arrival from anywhere else in Canada.

I tell people if they are not wearing their mask correctly too, so yes I am that person, lol!

Yeah I death stare those people too.

You must isolate for 14 days. For me, it's just not worth it. I can't see taking a month just so I can have 2 weeks on the Island. It's hard as I do worry about my parents but what can you do?

The tough thing about isolating away from home is you wouldn't even know how to get services that you may be able to get at home. That and of course what you said, having to have a month away for a 2 week vacation...I don't think a lot of people would be willing/able to do that.

No eating in restaurants for me, just a personal choice, but we do get take out on occasion. We are keeping on the down low just for the grandbaby's sake as well as trying to make sure that we minimize any contact before DD22's wedding at the end of August.

What a strange time for a wedding...I'm sure it will still be magical and she will make some amazing memories, I'm interested to know how she is doing this. I hope that she is not too upset about having to do it under these conditions.

Instead of going to a cottage, we bought a new gazebo for the back deck, so that is where I will be found this upcoming long weekend - I might have to even indulge in a beverage or two...

Nothing wrong with that!!

I found some more info. Seems from Ontario we can travel to BC and Manitoba. But, I'm not sure I'd want to be on a plane for that long for either of those. For the maritime provinces you have to isolate for 2 weeks on arrival from anywhere else in Canada.
From what I can see BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Quebec are all allowable with no self isolation. If you are in Northern Ontario, Manitoba is an option. The trouble is all these places require flying and I am still nervous about flying.
That and of course what you said, having to have a month away for a 2 week vacation...I don't think a lot of people would be willing/able to do that.
I know, it's really hard to take a month. Technically I could do it since I am not back to work until September 1. But I really don't want to be stuck inside the cottage for two weeks and not be able to swim or walk on the beach. Ontario it is! I have been looking at a few places for a getaway and I find the prices so high!! Disney is reasonable in comparison.

The trouble is all these places require flying and I am still nervous about flying.

Yeah I hear ya...though I think I would do it at some point...I really miss travel!

Now onto the new drama - the strapless wedding dress is *very* tight - could not get it zipped up tonight (well, thb, might have been able to do it but I didn't feel like fighting it), but that was at 9 pm on a 30 degree C day.... Ugh!

Yikes!! Yeah that is a problem lol...I know that I wouldn't fit into anything that I tried on pre-Covid lol Hope that isn't a problem for real!! Hopefully during the day and when it's not so hot it will be ok!!

I don't have much "news" to report but doing the rounds here and enjoying reading about trips for people who are able to get to WDW right now. Wish I could be one of them!! Still hoping I get to make further use of my AP before Aug 3, 2021 when it will expire. If travel insurance is to be had for Canadians by then...I'm in.

We found out yesterday our land borders between Canada and the USA will remain closed until (at least) Sept 21st now. While I inherently support the decision on a overall health and safety of all Canadians standpoint...I'm missing travel to the USA (and of course Disney) so much!!

Right now my son is still on track to fly back to UT on Sept 8 to get back to his school. I'm almost afraid telling people about this because I feel like I'm sending him into Gilead, but I also really want him to graduate. And while that is not more important than his health, I feel relatively ok about it since where he is going is such a small town that has had very few cases, and once he gets there I still think he will be safer than he would be in Toronto. That and I feel like he will respect the authority of the school's admin making him take precautions like masks and distancing etc more than he would his mom telling him!! That said, I REALLY hope that things are much improved all around by next spring because I hope that he is able to have an in person graduation in May, and that I will be able to attend. When he (hopefully) graduates, it will be a long hard won accomplishment for him and it would be heartbreaking to not get to have that. I know that all the 2020 grads (of which he should have been one) had to endure graduations this way, and that is really sad. In any case...who knows what could change between now and Sept 8.

My daughter's school released their "back to school" plan and I think it's actually really well thought out. Each day every student can have a choice to go to school in person or stay home, and even within that, they can choose to go for period 1, or period 2 or both or none. It's going to take some technology and some great teachers, which they are so lucky to have, but this way the teachers will be live streaming classes while they also teach students who are there in person, so those at home will have the exact same learning as those in class each day. So staying home or going will have the same content. My daughter is really wanting to be in person all the time which I'm not thrilled about as I'd like to see if the return to school yields a crazy explosion in cases or not, and also, it won't be the "normal" high school experience she is craving...I'm hoping that common sense rules and maybe she will go part time or something.

In other news...hmmmm...I saw someone post a pic of a Mickey Waffle Sundae that they had at the Beach Club I think? I think maybe I will try to recreate that at home lol Maybe the Disney store sells the hats/bowls to eat it out of. I think drowning my Covid anxiety in a bucket of ice cream sounds pretty good right about now!!!

Reactions: DLo
Still hoping I get to make further use of my AP before Aug 3, 2021 when it will expire.
Erm...
I finally wound up cancelling mine. I hope eventually I get that refund (small though it will probably be.)
If travel insurance is to be had for Canadians by then...I'm in.
Presume that's not going to happen. But... good luck!
While I inherently support the decision on a overall health and safety of all Canadians standpoint...I'm missing travel to the USA (and of course Disney) so much!!
Oh, me too! All of that!
Right now my son is still on track to fly back to UT on Sept 8 to get back to his school. I'm almost afraid telling people about this because I feel like I'm sending him into Gilead, but I also really want him to graduate.
You have very good reasons for feeling safe. I've heard about some of the precautions they're taking and I agree with you that he's probably as safe or safer there.
My daughter's school released their "back to school" plan and I think it's actually really well thought out.
Oh, good! We're still flopping around over here. Seems they haven't quite pinned down what they're doing yet. My youngest DD is at University and will be taking classes online, but my oldest will be student teaching 3rd and 4th grade.
I saw someone post a pic of a Mickey Waffle Sundae that they had at the Beach Club I think? I think maybe I will try to recreate that at home lol
If you do, post a pic!
I think drowning my Covid anxiety in a bucket of ice cream sounds pretty good right about now!!!
:laughing:

Presume that's not going to happen. But... good luck!

Ugh, you are even more pessimistic than I am lol and that is saying a lot!! But yeah you are probably right.

You have very good reasons for feeling safe. I've heard about some of the precautions they're taking and I agree with you that he's probably as safe or safer there.

Thanks for that!! Much appreciated that you aren't flaming me...not that a good Canadian DISer would but...just sayin' It's hard to make any choices these days without getting flak for it lol

My youngest DD is at University and will be taking classes online, but my oldest will be student teaching 3rd and 4th grade.

Yikes...student teaching. I hope the schools get it together for her sake!!

If you do, post a pic!

Well I didn't manage to do the mickey waffles, but I did go out and get this:

Not sure if you have La Diperie where you are but it's awesome. This isn't exactly what I had but it's the closest photo. Mine was ice cream with key lime/white chocolate drizzle and crushed golden oreos on top. It was delish.

Ugh, you are even more pessimistic than I am lol and that is saying a lot!! But yeah you are probably right.
I'd be very happy if I was wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
Thanks for that!! Much appreciated that you aren't flaming me...not that a good Canadian DISer would but...just sayin' It's hard to make any choices these days without getting flak for it lol
I'm very much Live and let Live. I have no problem with people living their lives in the way that makes them happy.
(Well... there are some obvious exceptions that would land people in jail.)
Yikes...student teaching. I hope the schools get it together for her sake!!
:sad2: I don't think they really know what they're doing yet, other than an opening date.
Well I didn't manage to do the mickey waffles, but I did go out and get this:
whoa!
Not sure if you have La Diperie where you are but it's awesome.
No. I've never even heard of it. A quick Google shows only one in Western Canada (Calgary), but next time I come to Toronto (which also might be a little bit) I'll have to try it. Last time I was there, my sister took me to Greg's Ice Cream. Yum!
This isn't exactly what I had but it's the closest photo. Mine was ice cream with key lime/white chocolate drizzle and crushed golden oreos on top. It was delish.
Holy cow that sounds amazing!

Good to hear from you. I totally understand your reasoning on sending your ds back to his school - that does make sense. My ds will (supposedly) be going back to his college for his sophomore year, but I keep expecting them to change their mind and go all remote. Fortunately, he is only about 40 minutes away, and he already has his dorm stuff from last year. The only new "school supply" he needs is masks! (I've been gradually buying them - I think he currently has 8? He could probably use a couple more, since he does laundry once a week, but this *might* be enough. Tho he does like some of them more than others). Oh, and at least one of his classes will be online - either his prof doesn't feel safe teaching in person, or they couldn't find a space, since they are spreading everyone out more than usual. The local high school will be all remote, which will be challenging, since they want to have everyone on zoom most of the day. I suspect that part won't last long.

No. I've never even heard of it. A quick Google shows only one in Western Canada (Calgary), but next time I come to Toronto (which also might be a little bit) I'll have to try it. Last time I was there, my sister took me to Greg's Ice Cream. Yum!

Greg's is one of my faves...their roasted marshmallow is the absolute best!! Mmmmm...I might have to go down there sometime...it's not that far from where I live actually...but sadly Toronto traffic is almost back to pre-Covid levels so...getting downtown is also more painful than it was a few months ago...that was the only benefit to the pandemic lol

:sad2: I don't think they really know what they're doing yet, other than an opening date.

Here in Ontario I'm not even sure they have that down...they thought they'd be able to open on time...but now with all the protesting and additional requirements who the heck knows...

and he already has his dorm stuff from last year. The only new "school supply" he needs is masks! (I've been gradually buying them - I think he currently has 8? He could probably use a couple more, since he does laundry once a week, but this *might* be enough.

Yeah my son has a lot of his stuff from his dorm room still at school from last year too, which is good since he is flying there and too much luggage would be expensive and a pain for him to have to deal with... I too got my son a lot of masks...I have no clue how often he does laundry but probably not near enough...I also got him a box of disposable masks as well for emergencies, I know that's terrible but I feel better knowing he has those just in case. We also are asked to send Lysol wipes...which I had to search high and low for and finally found a couple packages of them...and hand sanitizer, which thankfully now is pretty readily available.

Greg's is one of my faves...their roasted marshmallow is the absolute best!! Mmmmm...I might have to go down there sometime...it's not that far from where I live actually
I had the lemon meringue. It was incredible.
but sadly Toronto traffic is almost back to pre-Covid levels so...getting downtown is also more painful than it was a few months ago...that was the only benefit to the pandemic lol
::yes:: I remember going to work when the shutdowns started. There was no one on the roads.
Here in Ontario I'm not even sure they have that down...they thought they'd be able to open on time...but now with all the protesting and additional requirements who the heck knows...
Ugh...

I too got my son a lot of masks...I have no clue how often he does laundry but probably not near enough...I also got him a box of disposable masks as well for emergencies, I know that's terrible but I feel better knowing he has those just in case. We also are asked to send Lysol wipes...which I had to search high and low for and finally found a couple packages of them...and hand sanitizer, which thankfully now is pretty readily available.
Yeah, I just ordered 3 more masks yesterday afternoon. I then predicted that today we'll hear that they've changed their mind and it will be all remote, since I spent money on them! ;) I've always had the routine of doing laundry every weekend, so he just kept on with that routine because it was natural for him. I do have hand sanitizer to send with him, but no wipes. I have 2 bottles of Lysol (that we had had pre-Covid), so I may send one with him. When I want to clean something like my cell phone, I just spray a paper towel with the Lysol. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to fly with a can of Lysol, however!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!