March Break Flights

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Ugh...so depressing. I learned from here that opening day prices are the best. Looking for flights for next March break. We need to leave on the Friday as we're catching a cruise (or Thurs night if any better). We'll Air Canada opened today for our flights for Toronto to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Can only check one way but it is $550 per person for one way! I know this is typical price later on but so early?

Anyone know if a specific airline is typical cheaper? Or do flights drop say a month out? We'll be paying $4-5k for flights alone.

In my experience, that's pretty typical for March break as we went several years in a row. March break and Xmas usually costs us about $4K for the four of us. We started driving to Detroit and flying Delta which was much cheaper. If you're willing to drive to Buffalo, you'll probably save quite a bit.

We flew Westjet from Halifax, NS to Orlando and back this past March break (1st week of March for us). We bought our tickets mid-October so less than 5 months before the trip. Honestly Air Canada prices never came close to being as low as WestJet. Our flight home ended up being cancelled and we were treated very well by WestJet (I`m sure we wouldn`t have gotten anything close to it with AC).

In my experience, that's pretty typical for March break as we went several years in a row. March break and Xmas usually costs us about $4K for the four of us. We started driving to Detroit and flying Delta which was much cheaper. If you're willing to drive to Buffalo, you'll probably save quite a bit.

Thanks. I was actually looking at Detroit option for a different trip. It's an option but also risky travelling in March as you never know with weather. Buffalo at least is closer. For Buffalo, Jetblue only sells to Oct 27 (and isn't last date isn't budging) and Southwest to Nov 3 ...so both way behind. Any other Buffalo airline you recommend?

Saturday-Saturday Toronto-Orlando $398 Canadian is pretty good though.

I wish..that is amazing price.
But from my post, we're flying to Miami or Fort Lauderdale....and we need to leave Friday. Could chance Saturday to Saturday but prefer to fly in the day before the cruise. Also, not sure if you are looking at 2019 as AC is the furthest airline ahead and it only selling to Friday Mar 8 (which is the departure day we need).

We flew Westjet from Halifax, NS to Orlando and back this past March break (1st week of March for us). We bought our tickets mid-October so less than 5 months before the trip. Honestly Air Canada prices never came close to being as low as WestJet. Our flight home ended up being cancelled and we were treated very well by WestJet (I`m sure we wouldn`t have gotten anything close to it with AC).

Thanks. Good to know that WestJet can be cheaper. It's currently only selling up to Feb 12 so about a month behind Air Canada.

Thanks. I was actually looking at Detroit option for a different trip. It's an option but also risky travelling in March as you never know with weather. Buffalo at least is closer. For Buffalo, Jetblue only sells to Oct 27 (and isn't last date isn't budging) and Southwest to Nov 3 ...so both way behind. Any other Buffalo airline you recommend?

Sorry, can't help you on that one as we're closer to Detroit so we have never flown out of Buffalo. People always talk about good prices with Southwest though, so you might want to wait until those dates open up.

Airtransat is $657. Leaves Friday. There is a Saturday flight too. Kids get free seat selection when you register them in the free kids club. Free on board snack and early boarding too.

We did Airtransat last time for a Sun-Sun cruise and got a great deal. Only thing is when we booked it, we didn't realize how infrequently they fly. Was nervous if our flight was cancelled that we'd miss our cruise (and on return, be stuck in FLL). Our cruise is Sat-Sat this time.

Sorry, can't help you on that one as we're closer to Detroit so we have never flown out of Buffalo. People always talk about good prices with Southwest though, so you might want to wait until those dates open up.

Np...maybe someone else knows. Will keep an eye. Great you live near Detroit as I have noticed very good deals from there.

Last edited:
IF you have looked into buffalo, also look at frontier airlines. Tried if for the first time early Feb. For 2 of us with the exchange and one checked bag plus 2 bags that fit under the seat. $380 Can return. Yes it is a no frills airline, so anything besides water costs, carryon for overhead is more expensive then checked. But its only a 2+hr flight so all good.

Friday is always a prime day (Thursday/Saturday cheaper) and looking at the Friday prior to the start of March Break you are probably flying one of the most expensive days of the year.

We have flown March Break and for a cruise previous as well but did Detroit. We have also flown from Buffalo but recently have been flying Spirit out of Cleveland (last 2 times having flown). Direct flights at good flight times and around $100PP USD you cannot beat the price of. Yes Cleveland is a little further than Detroit from the GTA (about 75 minutes further) and considerably further than Buffalo (where deals seem to be harder to come by now and where many flights are not direct), but I have always found the fares and parking cheaper than Detroit and there are a few very reasonable stay-n-park options ($94 USD for the night prior, shuttle both ways and up to 14 days parking at the nearest La Quinta).

Last month 4 of us flew down with gas, dinner en-route and the hotel from Cleveland for less than 1/3 the cost of flying out of Pearson with parking for 10 days even with the exchange. People will Spirit bash and you do get what you pay for (not even free water) but I have had fewer delays and issues with Spirit than I have with Air Delayed Canada.

Price watch for various airports using Google Flights (you'll need to wait as the cheaper US airlines never are available as far out) the flights that interest you and when seeing the price you could stomach, jump on. I'd never wait the elusive 4-6 weeks out many will say gives the best price and never ever during a peak travel period like March Break unless planning to drive and flying is only if a deal comes up.

Thanks for the suggestion. Cleveland is a bit too far for us (even Detroit we are considering but it is a far option too). But $100 pp, even if USD is amazing price.

Anyone book with a stop? I'm seeing $402 for a stop in Montreal (switching planes of course), but it's 1hr 15 min inbetween so it makes me nervous is any delays.

Prices aren’t out of line for flying from YYZ for March Break. Crazy yes, but people will pay those prices. And don’t forget the added bonus of having to deal with the 130k other people trying to fly out per day on the Friday and Saturday.

I would say avoid BUF but that would only be because it is getting harder to get good deals with everyone else making the trip to BUF and it is messing with my vacations. We have flown down twice to FLL for March Break for a cruise with RCI. Got back last Friday night. Booked SW 7 am on the day they released last summer. Price for four (going down had a layover in Tampa, direct flight back) was $1200 USD. Added in EBCI both ways for another $120 USD. Beginning of February SW had a sale and changed the flight down to an earlier direct for another $60 USD. So yes it can be cheaper, but remember that you are just making it more difficult for me and that isn’t nice. :sad2:

And from experiemce layovers add risks. Second leg of ours going down from JFK to FLL was cancelled for March Break 2015. Spent 8 hours at JFK and managed to get on the last flight out that Saturday night. Got to the hotel in Miami at 2:30 am. With spring break flights will be full, if something goes wrong you might be out of luck. Only reason we booked the flight with the layover this year was that the layover was in Florida. Once there we could always rent a car and drive.

I had to book some last minute flights today for next month. Eek, it overlapped that Easter week, and perhaps spring break. And it was to Missouri... why so many people going there, lol!?

Prices aren’t out of line for flying from YYZ for March Break. Crazy yes, but people will pay those prices. And don’t forget the added bonus of having to deal with the 130k other people trying to fly out per day on the Friday and Saturday.

I would say avoid BUF but that would only be because it is getting harder to get good deals with everyone else making the trip to BUF and it is messing with my vacations. We have flown down twice to FLL for March Break for a cruise with RCI. Got back last Friday night. Booked SW 7 am on the day they released last summer. Price for four (going down had a layover in Tampa, direct flight back) was $1200 USD. Added in EBCI both ways for another $120 USD. Beginning of February SW had a sale and changed the flight down to an earlier direct for another $60 USD. So yes it can be cheaper, but remember that you are just making it more difficult for me and that isn’t nice. :sad2:

And from experiemce layovers add risks. Second leg of ours going down from JFK to FLL was cancelled for March Break 2015. Spent 8 hours at JFK and managed to get on the last flight out that Saturday night. Got to the hotel in Miami at 2:30 am. With spring break flights will be full, if something goes wrong you might be out of luck. Only reason we booked the flight with the layover this year was that the layover was in Florida. Once there we could always rent a car and drive.

I agree. Not a fan of a layover...especially if flying to catch a cruise. Too risky.

We booked our cruise 2 years in advance so last year I did monitor prices. It did come as "low" as $3000- $3500 for direct, but who knows what this year will be. But paying over $4k for a flight is $$$. Talk about supply and demand. It also makes it so tough when the Buffalo flights are released 6 months later as that's a huge gamble.

Ha ha...sorry for making it harder for you purchasing. You did get an amazing price last year....even for non travel date.

To the OP have you considered getting a WestJet credit card? We have one and have used it most March Breaks to book flights, you get a companion fare for 99.00$ plus tax ( so around 250.00$ total) so even if you do not get a great price on the first fare you do well on the second one. Two free bags as well per person.

To the OP have you considered getting a WestJet credit card? We have one and have used it most March Breaks to book flights, you get a companion fare for 99.00$ plus tax ( so around 250.00$ total) so even if you do not get a great price on the first fare you do well on the second one. Two free bags as well per person.

Thank you. Now that you mention it, I remember someone suggesting that in the past.

Do you know how long the process takes from when you apply to when you can us the companion fare? WestJet flights should be available in the next few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts