March Break Flights

Oh didn't even think of that. If we end up booking with American Airlines they have a 6am and a 1pm. Which of those do you suggest? We do have nexus if it makes a difference.
You've been very helpful. Thank you.
We gave up doing the 6am flights when we had kids along everyone is just too tired. I like 1000 am or later.

We gave up doing the 6am flights when we had kids along everyone is just too tired. I like 1000 am or later.

I know...it is rough. We've done it once before when we were going on a cruise the same day (booked by inlaws...we always leave night before). Spoke to DH and he prefers the 6am...just to try and avoid the worst of the rush. Hopefully nexus will let us avoid that issue with the agents. We'll see if we go for the 6am...when it gets to the Friday, that flight may suddenly more than double up in cost and be same price is Air Canada and United, which are pretty high.

Last edited:
I am sure the Nexus will help, one advantage to the 6am flight is traffic will be light enroute to Pearson and you could be in a pool with a nice drink by 1PM or earlier!

I see that WJ has a 730AM flight from Pearson to Miami direct and if the calendar keeps creeping tomorrow might be the Thurs before MB so that could give you an idea about prices, my uneducated guess will be around 350.00 CDN one way which is cheaper then United.

Thank you. At present the other airlines out of Pearson are close on their release dates (Delta, American Airlines, WestJet). American Airlines was ahead a day but has yet to release non-business seats today..hmm. I agree...the Thursday price should be same/very close to the Friday price. $350 CAD is very good for March break...but both Air Canada and United jumped from around $350 on the Wed to $575 on the Thursday! The airlines are not stupid :mad:

Last edited:
Looks like the calendar for WJ has now stopped creeping and is showing sold out dates again! More waiting for people I guess!

Thank you. At present the other airlines out of Pearson are close on their release dates (Delta, American Airlines, WestJet). American Airlines was ahead a day but has yet to release non-business seats today..hmm. I agree...the Thursday price should be same/very close to the Friday price. $350 CAD is very good for March break...but both Air Canada and United jumped from around $350 on the Wed to $575 on the Thursday! The airlines are not stupid :mad:

Just booked the flight down on AA for the Thursday March 7, $225 CAD, for the 1:00 flight, Toronto to Miami. We did this flight for this year’s March break, and Pearson was empty. With teens the 1:00 flight is perfect as they are not morning people. AA does not charge for seat deletion so that is a bonus.

We are doing a 5 day DCL cruise so think we will come back the Friday evening flight so I will have to wait a bit longer.

Last year the flights were $240 so a little less this time. Was able to book the pre cruise hotel with Hilton points, now I just have figure out post cruise.

Great deal mkmommy! I was watching all day too. This morning, Delta released at $385 so we purchased as AC and United are over $500. But we had until midnight to cancel. I was constantly watching AA, and later in afternoon, I noticed they started adding regular flights slowly, one at a time (as opposed to just business cost). So....we ended up booking the flight 24 hrs after yours for similar price (267) and cancelling the Delta. I'm sure the fact that you're leaving on a Thursday helps with crowds. With a 5 day cruise, then you'll be even more flexible with your return flight. Hopefully return will be good luck too.

Last edited:
Great tips on this thread, never booked return flights to Florida one way at a time before. I just booked 6 flights to Miami, Sat 9th for 127.00 CAD each out of Detroit. It's about an hour and a half or so further then Pearson but the price is right when having to purchase 6 flights and I don't mind the drive. Hoping for the same kind of luck when flights home a week later are out.

Great deal mkmommy! I was watching all day too. This morning, Delta released at $385 so we purchased as AC and United are over $500. But we had until midnight to cancel. I was constantly watching AA, and later in afternoon, I noticed they started adding regular flights slowly, one at a time (as opposed to just business cost). So....we ended up booking the flight 24 hrs after yours for similar price (267) and cancelling the Delta. I'm sure the fact that you're leaving on a Thursday helps with crowds. With a 5 day cruise, then you'll be even more flexible with your return flight. Hopefully return will be good luck too.
That is a very good price, you did well! It is so frustrating waiting on WJ! It is like they do not want your money!

Great tips on this thread, never booked return flights to Florida one way at a time before. I just booked 6 flights to Miami, Sat 9th for 127.00 CAD each out of Detroit. It's about an hour and a half or so further then Pearson but the price is right when having to purchase 6 flights and I don't mind the drive. Hoping for the same kind of luck when flights home a week later are out.

Wow, excellent price! We were looking at the option of flying out of Detroit too if that big a savings. Definitely worth it...and especially if you are buying 6 flights!

That is a very good price, you did well! It is so frustrating waiting on WJ! It is like they do not want your money!

Yeah..they are the only ones holding back now...at least out of Toronto. What a tease...And no way to know if the Thurs-Sat tickets will be close to the previous days of it they will jump way up.

I was just wondering about whether most folks here wait until both their departure and return dates come up on the schedule and then book a round trip, or do you book a one way departure as soon as it comes up and then another one way return when it becomes available later on? I'm stalking Westjet flights for DW's (yup, still teaching long after I retired) March break (last week of March, 2019) and am considering booking it as two one ways. Just to add that we like the non-stop from YEG on Saturdays and those seats go pretty fast. So what strategies do you use?

I was just wondering about whether most folks here wait until both their departure and return dates come up on the schedule and then book a round trip, or do you book a one way departure as soon as it comes up and then another one way return when it becomes available later on? I'm stalking Westjet flights for DW's (yup, still teaching long after I retired) March break (last week of March, 2019) and am considering booking it as two one ways. Just to add that we like the non-stop from YEG on Saturdays and those seats go pretty fast. So what strategies do you use?

Hi dis_guy
In the past I usually just booked the whole departure and return flight in one transaction, however this year I may do two separate transactions.
I'm a little frustrated with WJ right now because instead of opening up dates they are showing N/A or Sold Out.
Our dates for Ontario March Break are March 11-15,, I'm also a school staff so I pretty much need to buy tickets during an expensive time of the year.

Best Wishes to you!!
Mel

In most cases, we book both ways together. But for March Break, we did book the way there first on opening day (on American Airlines) and then will book the return separately. I was watching prices last March break so have an idea of min, medium and max price (for the times I was spot checking)...so helps knowing what to expect in terms of cost.

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed at WJ> We're watching for the Friday the 9th and keep getting the Sold Out message on their site, but if you check expedia it says they're available. We leave for a cruise on the Saturday, so don't want to chance flying in on the morning of.

West Jet
March 8,9,10,11 open however the prices are high.
I booked one way using my WestJet dollars but am still going to have to wait for a return flight opening.
Total including taxes Non Stop One Way = $159.00 because of using WJD.(I finally got a chance to use them).:dogdance:

Regards Mel

Last edited:
West Jet
March 8,9,10,11 open however the prices are high.
I booked one way using my WestJet dollars but am still going to have to wait for a return flight opening.

Regards Mel

Yeah...I noticed that this morning too. From Tor to MIA, there is only one direct flight on WestJet on the Friday and it's over $600. Good you have WestJet dollars so that helps. We've booked our way there last week and got a "good" deal (I say "good" as it's relative for March Break), but am noticing the return flights are high. We just booked our return on United...but definitely more than we paid going there.

Wonder the pattern...if prices will remain high and go higher, or if they'll drop???

Good luck with your return.

Yeah...I noticed that this morning too. From Tor to MIA, there is only one direct flight on WestJet on the Friday and it's over $600. Good you have WestJet dollars so that helps. We've booked our way there last week and got a "good" deal (I say "good" as it's relative for March Break), but am noticing the return flights are high. We just booked our return on United...but definitely more than we paid going there.

Wonder the pattern...if prices will remain high and go higher, or if they'll drop???

Good luck with your return.

I honestly think that for cost I would have been better to have booked round trip AA or AC when they first came out.
Last year I ended up booking with AC even though I had WestJet dollars to use. (My prefered carrier is WestJet).
I am anticipating a high cost for return flights at this point...it would be nice if they dropped but I am just going to book when it's a price I can live with.
I am not sure keeping the Westjet World Elite Mastercard with it's yearly fee is worth it for me.($119.00 a year and I often do not use the companion flight).
I am going to check into a few other reward programs.
Have a great Cruise!
Hugs Mel

The flights on WestJet for March break are expensive! Even the Thursday before! I wonder what the cheapest fare was on the Friday or Sat Were all sold out by the time I looked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter