Margaritaville Cottages Nov. 1-5

LaurEm378

Mouseketeer
I’ve seen a lot of requests for info about the Margaritaville cottages on this board, so I wanted to give a report for those who are considering it. We stayed last week for 4 nights after 3 nights at the Yacht Club, and it was our first time giving offsite a try.

I booked a 4 bedroom/4 bathroom superior cottage in July of 2021 for this November trip. The website states that this configuration sleeps 10, has a bonus loft, and that daily housekeeping is included in the rate.

PROS:
The grounds are beautiful. The cottages aren’t on or near the water except for a select few, but the neighborhoods are very cute and quiet, from what I experienced. There is a ton of construction going on (building more cottages) but it’s not very intrusive or loud.

Loved the design of the cottage, for the most part. Everything was clean as a whistle and seemed to be made of quality materials. There was a ton of room for all of us to spread out, both inside and outside. The ceilings were so high and airy. Multiple outlets and light sources in every room. It was great to have a TV in every room as well. And storage space galore — every room had a huge closet with multiple shelves, plus dressers. The appliances were top of the line.

We didn’t spend a ton of time at the main resort, but the lobby is GORGEOUS and comfortable. Bar staff were great, the quick service had lots of options, and the outdoor areas were inviting.

Sunset Promenade was AWESOME and had a great vacation vibe. It was right outside the gates, had ample street parking, and was totally walkable. We ate at Ford’s Garage twice, Capone’s and The Wharf, and all were excellent in every way. The area was compact and perfect for an evening after the parks when you’ve already toured all day and just want to relax.

It was a 15 minute drive to the Magic Kingdom and 30 minute drive to Universal at peak times, so not too bad. The highway Margaritaville is off is a little seedy, and we were approached by panhandlers every time we went to the shopping center next door.

CONS:
The cottages are a good 15 minute walk from the main building and its amenities and Sunset Promenade. Unless you’re really into walking, you need to drive, or call and wait for them to shuttle you.

We had planned on eating meals at the resort, but since that was a drive away anyway, we just went offsite. I had Publix deliver groceries and picked up boxes of coffee from Dunkin to avoid having to drive to the lobby for everything.

There is no daily housekeeping due to Covid, even though the website and telephone agents state that there is. You have to call to have trash removed or have new towels sent. This was a bad surprise.

The bonus loft was a small landing with an armless chair; I’m not sure why they advertise it as though it’s extra livable space.

Check in was a fiasco. There’s only one desk for Rentyl cottages, and the line was long all the time.

We had a number of problems during our stay. First they gave us a cottage with only 3 bathrooms instead of 4. We then had to wait 3 hours for another cottage, and found out late at night when we went to put the kids to bed that it had only a sofa, not a sofabed, so our cottage for 10 only slept 8.

Someone came to maintain the splash pool while we were out, and left a bunch of dirty tools in and around the pool. Also, I’d had to sign a waiver stating we wouldn’t smoke at the cottage, but there were a million cigarette butts in the mulch all over the backyard.

You have to swipe your key card at the main gate for entry, but there are no less than three other entrances to the property that aren’t gated or manned. We did see security patrolling the cottage neighborhoods often, but again, the highway outside is not the nicest area, so lock up tight if you leave your cottage.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Management was apologetic and credited us back one night of our stay, plus gave us a $150 resort credit and 30% off a future booking. However, the resort credit never materialized during our stay so I’d have to go back there again to use it.

I liked the privacy of the cottages, and being able to spread out after being a little cramped at YC. But if I’m going to feel cut off from the main resort and have to drive to get all my food and drinks, I can stay at an Airbnb or pool home for half the money and get even more space.

If this resort was anywhere else, I’d probably have enjoyed it more, but it was tough to be so close to Disney yet so far. We had to waste a lot of vacation time dealing with our issues at Margaritaville.

If you do stay here, have a car, and take some time to check that everything you paid for is there and in working order before you settle in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter