• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriot's Grande Vista- ho hum, IMHO...

leebee

DIS Veteran
Stayed here for our trip last week. First off, let me reassure you that this is a fine place to stay, very clean, safe, 15 mins to WDW or less. We stayed here because my sis and bil own Marriott timeshare. This was not their timeshare week, but as timeshare owners they get great deals, and this was one. We stayed in a two bedroom villa for $280/wk, total, so my share was $140, which can't be beat anywhere! Villa has full kitchen with m'wave, coffee pot, stove/oven, double sink w/disposal, dishwasher, apt. sized stacked washer/dryer combo, fridge, food closet and standard cabinetry with service for six and cooking equipment. DR table seats 6 and there's a dining bar seating 3 to separate kitchen from DR. Dining area opens into LR area, with queen sofa bed and tv/vcr in an armoire. MBR has access from kitchen to its bathroom with shower closet, 2 sinks and toilet or thru door off LR. In addition to large bathroom, MBR has king bed, tv, whirlpool tub and easy chair, two closets,and direct access to screen porch or balcony which is also accessible from lr. Second bedroom is on opposite side of living area from mbr. 2nd bedroom can also be used as an independent "lockoff" studio suite. Having its own front door w/outdoor access, it has a standard bathroom w/tub-shower combo, toilet and single sink, mini fridge, microwave and bar-sized minisink on either side of entryway hall. Living area contains two nightstands, king bed, double sofa sleeper, round table w/2 chairs, and a TV. Drawers are either built-in under tv or in Nightstands- no actual bureau. Closet is standard. Kitchenette area has service for 2 and a 4 cup coffeepot. Lockoff suite also has its own screenporch/balcony. It was fine, we got a wonderful deal, etc. Units can be rented as 1 br apt (living area and MBR), 2 br apt (1 br apt plus lockoff) or as a suite (lockoff unit only). Housekeeping is additional, so we did all our own cleaning, bed making, bathtubs, trash, etc (bil said $30/day for hk, but I think he exaggerated...). Our unit was located by one of their secondary pool, which was fine- smallish but certainly not small, 85 degrees, with a hot tub which was only 60 degrees and couldn't be temp controlled. Apparently their main pool is great, but ours had no slide, kid's stuff, theming, etc.

Was this a great deal? Yup. Was it safe, clean, adequate, etc? Yup. Would I stay here again? Not so sure. I looked up the "public" rate for the lockout, and it was $89/nt for the week of 12/7-12/14 (the week after we stayed there). Quite honestly, I think we got a better deal at Comfort Suites Maingate East. MGV was really huge, with many amenities that we, as a family travelling with 3 kids (1,3,and8) didn't use- Nick Faldo golf school/courses, tennis, exercise spa, etc. The resort is absolutely huge, with many 5 story buildings that all look the same. Charged for hk, no free b'fast, no Disney transportation. I think we did much better at CSMGE, where the pool is terrific, the free b'fast is amazing, housekeeping efficient and included, theme park shuttles, AND THE SUITE WAS LARGER, also the bathroom was larger, than at MGV, and the sleeping area is somewhat separated from the living area at CSMGE, unlike at MGV. Although the price we paid due to my sister's timeshare was unbeatable, if I hadn't had this deal I would have felt we paid more than it was worth (BTW, cost at CSMGE was $58/nt, second week of Jan, 2001). Just MHO, of course!

I'm not an owner at MGV, but have stayed there twice. (and will stay again in May).
I have 2 comments about the above post:
1) Like most timeshares, daily housekeeping when staying for your week, or at a special members only rate, is not included. However, when booking a daily rate, (ie thru Marriott.com or expedia, etc), daily housekeeping IS included.
2) It's not fair to compare the CSMGE pool to the quiet pool at MGV, and complain that the MGV quiet pool is not kid-friendly. That's what the main pool is for! The main pool area has multiple pools (including a lap pool), spas, fountains, lake, beach, etc. I use the pool that best
fits my mood - the main pool at times, or one of the quiet pools at other times.

I wasn't complaining about the quiet pool at the GV, just comparing. Actually, we had a poolside villa at GV, and I was very pleased that we didn't have hoards of screaming masses nearby (LOL, I really like kids!). Also, I was only comparing the LOCKOFF portion of the suite with CSMGE, not the whole 2 br villa! I personally just felt that, if I'd been paying a "public" rate, the CSMGE was a better value than the lockoff suite at GV. Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter