Mary Poppins stunt doubles.....

Scott Herman

Earning My Ears
Category: There are still things to discover!!!

I have literally seen "Mary Poppins" over 100 times (oddly I have not kept count). Today while watching it yet again with my daughter, Teddy, I noticed something I'd never caught before. There are 4 scenes with stunt doubles in for characters, 4 for the kids, 3 for Mary & two for Bert. The four scenes are all on the merry-go-round horses. Three of them run consecutively beginning with Mary's horse jumping off the carousel. In that Bert & Mary are Dick & Julie. The two scenes immediately following have all 4 characters replaced with doubles. The last scene with stunt doubles is as Mary leads the children jumping onto the race course and all 3 have doubles (Bert is not in this scene). All of these scenes are live action inserted with animation. How did I miss this for so long?

I credit my finding it with new technology. I bought the B/R version 3 ½ years ago and watched it 8 times. Today my daughter wanted to watch it again so we are watching the HD version on AppleTV. The clarity of the image is stunning.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that have known about this for decades but it is actually new to me. If you knew before, when did you notice it?

HermanSM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!