Mask recommendation?

PrincessArlena'sDad

DIS Veteran
So, what mask would be best for walking around the park in, that:
1. Won't fall off during rides
2. Minimize being uncomfortable in the heat

Are there any masks that are like frogg togs that will help keep you cool?

Thanks!

I haven’t personally tried the cooling gaiters but we bought one to try out here at home. We have found that the lightest and more comfortable masks thus far for our family are the blue surgical disposable ones.

Disney is saying the masks need to have ties or ear loops so not sure if the gaiters will work?

Disney is saying the masks need to have ties or ear loops so not sure if the gaiters will work?
Yes, that’s why we are hesitant to buy gaiters until we know if those would pass. The blue surgical masks over the cloth ones have been the best for our family. We have been outside in 90 degree weather testing them out. 😬

I haven’t personally tried the cooling gaiters but we bought one to try out here at home. We have found that the lightest and more comfortable masks thus far for our family are the blue surgical disposable ones.
Do you have a link to a cooling gaiter?

My cloth ones were too hot for this NC heat (They were made in March when it was cooler). I ordered off of Amazon (I usually try to buy from smaller stores but haven't been able to) Jointon Face mask with Ear loops Safe shield technology. 50 pcs box. They are about as light as you can safely get and were about $30 for the box.

The masks in the box are light but sturdy and the earloops were a tiny bit too big but you can take those teeny rubber bands for orthodontics and adust them that way. We are fairly small females so most people probably don't find them too small.

I was still sweating under the mask when I had to stand in the hot sun 84% for outside graduation for and hour and a half and wiped under the mask a few times. I bought them so we could bring a bunch to Disney and have extras packed with us at the parks if they get wet or break or anything.

There may be lots better ones out there but I researched for a couple hours on the internet and this is what I came up with.

My cloth ones had the triple layer recommended fabrics with filter so naturally they were miserably hot outside in the heat.

Just a thought...if the gaiter have a big enough hem at the top you can cut a slit and thread a cord thru for a tie.
I have had to rethread a cord and used a small safety pin on the end and it was easy to push thru.

Tim tracker and Jen tried out a few in Florida I thought the video was interesting... i ordered the Disney ones im curious how they will be.

kennythepirate.com posted a review from their AP preview day at Universal and they used the Mission cooling neck gaiters and said they worked great. We are visiting Volcano Bay in early July and plan on using the gaiter style there. For our Disney Springs visit, we will go with the disposable blue masks since we are not staying all day just have dinner reservations and Disney requires an ear loop style mask. The full cloth ones are pretty steamy to wear for long periods of time.

Hey there!
Oh yes, the infinite possibilities of face masks! As far as this goes, I'm going to try to veer away from gaiters because of the iffy status of their usability in the parks. On that note, the gaiters do seem to be best for cooling, but TheTimTracker posted a video at Sea World where it fell down multiple times while he rode their coaster, Mako. I've also found that they can be a little tight around the nose and mouth making it feel as though you're breathing in fabric. Overall, I'm wary but I digress. The best I've found personally have been the disposable paper masks and cloth masks. The paper ones are light but due to the straight across top seam they sometimes will ride up on one's nose. Cloth masks made of cotton fabric are the most breathable cloth ones but are heavier than the paper ones. Pleated masks are a bit hard to talk in and slip of you move your mouth but manageable. I'd have to recommend either the pleated cloth/paper masks or a 3D/ Banana Boat mask. These ones are roomy and have room to talk and breathe.

I bought these gaitors and wore them in 87 degree temps it is was comfortable and breathable. I do know that Tim Tracker did a review on where these on a roller coaster at Universal and it did not stay up. He did mention lots of families were not wearing their masks in the park and no one was enforcing it. But then again Disney does not have high speed coasters like he was on. Other than that I would wear them at Disney https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGF34XB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as cloth masks, these masks from Jaanuu are by far the best I have tried. Jaanuu Face Masks

I bought some gaiters and am working on modifying them to compare. I cut the gaiter in half so it wasn't bunched up on my neck and sewed elastic ear loops at the top as well as a pipe cleaner to form the nose (which helps it stay on better). I made the ear loops a little too long and it hangs lower than I want so I need to shorten them and try them out again. The thing I like about the gaiter is that it is a single layer so easier to breathe in and the modifications make it Disney "legal". Thing I don't like is that it won't protect quite as well as a double layer mask and I'm not sure I like the gaiter being so tight against my nose/mouth.

I still need to decide which one I like better.

Our favorites so far are Boco. They are breathable and cool. They are two ply with an insert for a filter.

As far as cloth masks, these masks from Jaanuu are by far the best I have tried. Jaanuu Face Masks

I bought some gaiters and am working on modifying them to compare. I cut the gaiter in half so it wasn't bunched up on my neck and sewed elastic ear loops at the top as well as a pipe cleaner to form the nose (which helps it stay on better). I made the ear loops a little too long and it hangs lower than I want so I need to shorten them and try them out again. The thing I like about the gaiter is that it is a single layer so easier to breathe in and the modifications make it Disney "legal". Thing I don't like is that it won't protect quite as well as a double layer mask and I'm not sure I like the gaiter being so tight against my nose/mouth.

I still need to decide which one I like better.
Oops, I ran off to research Mission gaiters and didn't see your post until after I asked the question you had already answered! Thanks

Could you modify the Mission gaiters to add ear straps or would the fabric unravel?
You can get 1/8 inch elastic cord because it is round where as regular elastic is flat and the edge would cut into poke into you ear , and the hand sew it on as ear loops. Do a search for super soft elastic cord. Even someone who does not sew can do this :) Cut the elastic to 7 inches long for each ear. You could cut it a bit longer if you want it to be a looser fit. Here is a picture of a gaiter with ear loops. as you can see the ear loop sits on top of the ear instead of behind the ear where people have said it hurts because their ears are being pulled forward. https://cherrystonestyle.com/produc...sk-with-ear-loops-available-end-of-april-2020

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter