Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

I have a question about this new quarantine issue for anyone from Massachusetts. If you fly in/out of Bradley airport, would you be exempt from needing to quarantine? I see that traveling from Connecticut exempts you. So say you fly into Bradley, then drive home in Massachusetts. Technically, when you enter Massachusetts, you're not coming from Florida, you're coming from Connecticut, which is a state from which you're exempt from the quarantine rule. Or can you do that? Did I miss something reading the rules that would mean you'd still have to quarantine? I know that for those who live near Boston, this might be impractical, but when we lived in the Worcester area, we used to fly in/out of Bradley all the time. Curious about this.

It doesn't matter how you traveled to your final destination (plane, boat, passenger pigeon) or where you set off from. If you live in MA and your final destination for travel was one of the travel ban states, the expectation is that you'll self quarantine or get the proof of a negative test when you get home.

Aha! Thanks-I didn't know Connecticut has a quarantine restriction also. My Mom lives in Massachusetts, but goes to church in Woodstock Connecticut, so I just knew that you could come from Connecticut to Massachusetts without quarantining. Frankly, I think Charlie Baker's done great things regarding Massachusetts and Covid 19. Who knows, though? I'm looking from my state, Texas.

Aha! Thanks-I didn't know Connecticut has a quarantine restriction also. My Mom lives in Massachusetts, but goes to church in Woodstock Connecticut, so I just knew that you could come from Connecticut to Massachusetts without quarantining. Frankly, I think Charlie Baker's done great things regarding Massachusetts and Covid 19. Who knows, though? I'm looking from my state, Texas.

I think Baker's done well in light of the fact that a lot of the restrictions have been either dismissed or loosely enforced by the general population....we could be in a lot better shape than we are, but we aren't nearly as bad as we could have been considering we were one of the early hotspots. It helps when your governor has a background in healthcare and doesn't hesitate to put together an advisory board of healthcare pros as well as municipal representatives and business owners to try and balance everyone's needs and safety.

For those going to Disney...or any state on the self quarantine mandate, fill out the travel form either before or the day you return. We got home late last night, so we filled out the form this morning and you can't choose any date that has passed...so they think we returned today, adding a day to the quarantine. DH and DD20 plan to pay for a covid test as DD20 needs it for college in NY anyways and moves in right at the end of when our self quarantine will expire. DD16 and I will self quarantine... very little change from what we did before the trip anyways. The trip was a much needed mental break after 4mths at home and a hysterectomy I had in May.

We wouldn't have even known about the mandate (vs the previous recommendation) without these boards, we left right after the official announcement, a week before it took effect, and flew in/out of NH, saw no signs about it on the way home.

Really. Massachusetts had one of the highest death rates of COVID 19. Sweden did very little, has millions of more people then Mass and has thousands of fewer deaths, yes thousands. Massachusetts also has the highest unemployment rate in the USA. Lots of businesses going out of business. I wouldn’t follow anything that he has done. The average age of someone who has unfortunately passed from COVID 19 in Mass is 82 years old. This virus is deadly, but if people take precautions, like wash your hands, don’t touch your face. Things would be better.

Last edited:
Really. Massachusetts had one of the highest death rates of COVID 19. Sweden did very little has more people then Mass and has thousands of fewer deaths. Massachusetts also has the highest unemployment rate in the USA. Lots of businesses going out of business. I wouldn’t follow anything that he has done.

OK i'll bite.

MA was the third hotspot in the country, we had a month or two head start from the rest of the country. We have not had a major spike in new cases since the beginning of June, and our death rate has dropped significantly over the last two months. Why are there so many unemployment claims in MA? Because we have a pretty robust UI system that did not delay claims or deny claims errantly. People who needed unemployment in this state got it much quicker and with less difficulty than other parts of the country. And unless you have specific insider information on business closings that are not national chains, I'd say you're talking out of the wrong area of your body.

Really. Massachusetts had one of the highest death rates of COVID 19. Sweden did very little, has millions ofmore people then Mass and has thousands of fewer deaths, yes thousands. Massachusetts also has the highest unemployment rate in the USA. Lots of businesses going out of business. I wouldn’t follow anything that he has done. The average age of someone who has unfortunately passed from COVID 19 in Mass is 82 years old. This virus is deadly, but if people take precautions, like wash your hands, don’t touch your face. Things would be better.
Sources please. I need to see these numbers as I'm not interpreting the same from the tables I use.

Edit... Okay, I see the Sweden death rate compared to Massachusetts' and I agree with you there:

Second Edit: I also looked into BLS.gov and yes, you also seem to be correct with us having the largest unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted, whatever that means) compared to the other 49 states. Yikes, that shocked me. I'm wondering though if part of that number isn't due to the $600/week extra that had been tacked onto the paycheck encouraging people to quit. With no added funds we should start to see people going back to work.

Last edited:

can we fill the form out online the night before we fly back home? To make sure its all set and ready to go? We will make an appt to get tested the day after we return and will check quarantine until we get the results back. We fly in and out of BDL but live in MA but who knows what the rules will be when we fly out the Sept 24th and return Oct 1st????

Second Edit: I also looked into BLS.gov and yes, you also seem to be correct with us having the largest unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted, whatever that means) compared to the other 49 states. Yikes, that shocked me. I'm wondering though if part of that number isn't due to the $600/week extra that had been tacked onto the paycheck encouraging people to quit. With no added funds we should start to see people going back to work.

See my comment - part of why we have high numbers in UI enrollment is because our state made it much easier to process claims (in truth MA has always been pretty easy compared to other states - I've heard nightmare stories from RI and from a friend who is a state rep in MD that those systems are very tough to navigate and claims take unacceptably long to process).

But I will address your bolded comment. People are NOT staying on unemployment to collect the extra payment. Our system in MA is literally set up so that doesn't happen. If your employer notifies UI that you were called back to work and you refused, then you are considered fired/no-show and your unemployment ends. There is a grossly misinformed assumption that people are staying on UI and avoiding going back to work. That simply isn't rooted in fact.

See my comment - part of why we have high numbers in UI enrollment is because our state made it much easier to process claims (in truth MA has always been pretty easy compared to other states - I've heard nightmare stories from RI and from a friend who is a state rep in MD that those systems are very tough to navigate and claims take unacceptably long to process).

But I will address your bolded comment. People are NOT staying on unemployment to collect the extra payment. Our system in MA is literally set up so that doesn't happen. If your employer notifies UI that you were called back to work and you refused, then you are considered fired/no-show and your unemployment ends. There is a grossly misinformed assumption that people are staying on UI and avoiding going back to work. That simply isn't rooted in fact.

Except that I know of at least 2 guys who were doing exactly this, both from my daughter's place of employment.

can we fill the form out online the night before we fly back home? To make sure its all set and ready to go? We will make an appt to get tested the day after we return and will check quarantine until we get the results back. We fly in and out of BDL but live in MA but who knows what the rules will be when we fly out the Sept 24th and return Oct 1st????
Yes, you can fill it out in advance. It lets you pick today's date and any future date for your arrival...but you can't pick a past date...so definitely fill it out before or on your day of arrival. Every person over 18 has to fill it out, for minors, you add them to one of the adult forms.

Yes, you can fill it out in advance. It lets you pick today's date and any future date for your arrival...but you can't pick a past date...so definitely fill it out before or on your day of arrival. Every person over 18 has to fill it out, for minors, you add them to one of the adult forms.
just me and hubby! we arrive back Oct 1. and plan on getting tested Oct 2!

Really. Massachusetts had one of the highest death rates of COVID 19. Sweden did very little, has millions ofmore people then Mass and has thousands of fewer deaths, yes thousands. Massachusetts also has the highest unemployment rate in the USA. Lots of businesses going out of business. I wouldn’t follow anything that he has done. The average age of someone who has unfortunately passed from COVID 19 in Mass is 82 years old. This virus is deadly, but if people take precautions, like wash your hands, don’t touch your face. Things would be better.
Sources please. I need to see these numbers as I'm not interpreting the same from the tables I use.

Edit... Okay, I see the Sweden death rate compared to Massachusetts' and I agree with you there:

View attachment 517244

View attachment 517246
You're comparing the entire country of Sweden with the state of MA, however, and the population density is significantly different: Sweden is 25 people per sq.km, and MA is 339.43 per sq.km, and population density absolutely plays a factor in the transmission of Covid-19.

You're comparing the entire country of Sweden with the state of MA, however, and the population density is significantly different: Sweden is 25 people per sq.km, and MA is 339.43 per sq.km, and population density absolutely plays a factor in the transmission of Covid-19.
Of course it does. I was just checking the numbers to make sure they were sound to start with.

The vast majority of Sweden is barren land. The majority of the population resides in the bottom 25% of the country. But if population density is what Covid 19 rates go by. The state of Maryland has almost as many people ( 6.0 million people) as Massachusetts (6.7 million people). and density is slightly lower, not much. Massachusetts Covid 19 deaths is 8,488 and Maryland deaths are 3,454. Massachusetts has almost 2.5 times as many deaths as Maryland. This is not good by any means. Going just by population density is an incorrect way to look at it. The state of New York has a lesser population density than Maryland and I don’t think you want me to put their total Covid 19 death toll on here, but here it is 32,847. But how can that be? The state is less dense than Massachusetts and Maryland. This is why you cannot go by just population density. It will give you bad data. The best way to go by is population, not density.

Last edited:

When the company asks someone to come back to work and they say no and they are fired. Guess what, they file for unemployment, because they were just fired. Luckily Massachusetts is like #1 in the US for UI. 8CCF2445-49C8-412B-AFCA-0A67DE63DB13.png
Notice that tall blue line way above other states, it’s Massachusetts.

Last edited:
When the company asks someone to come back to work and they say no and they are fired. Guess what, they file for unemployment, because they were just fired. Luckily Massachusetts is like #1 in the US for UI. View attachment 517418
Notice that tall blue line way above other states, it’s Massachusetts.

Um no, that's not how it works. You cannot claim unemployment if you were fired.

Per the UI website, you are eligible if you are unemployed, or working significantly reduced hours, through no fault of your own. If you get fired due to refusing to go back to work, that's not through no fault of your own.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/check-eligibility-for-unemployment-benefits

Um no, that's not how it works. You cannot claim unemployment if you were fired.

Per the UI website, you are eligible if you are unemployed, or working significantly reduced hours, through no fault of your own. If you get fired due to refusing to go back to work, that's not through no fault of your own.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/check-eligibility-for-unemployment-benefits
If I may ask, do you own a business in Mass? Key words “through no fault of your own”. All people have to do is state it was no fault of their own. The state has made it very easy to file for UI, they will get paid and the company has to fight to stop it, because the state charges the company for UI.

Last edited:
This is why you cannot go by just population density. It will give you bad data. The best way to go by is population, not density.
I did not say to "go by just population density." I was saying you cannot just look at population totals, and that you should consider population density. Most importantly, if you want to get specific, you should be looking at the areas where the deaths occurred to look at the population in those areas, population density, number of available ICU beds, % of population with underlying conditions and community spread -- and probably a few other factors.

MA, for example, spiked early on as part of the initial outbreak of Covid-19, partly due to being an international air travel hub and due to back/forth travel to NY, as well as an early lack of understanding of Covid-19 community spread.

The underlying conditions conversation is also an interesting one to take a look at. I don't know the numbers in MA, but if you compared the US to Sweden when it comes to the prevalence of Diabetes - which is a higher risk factor - you will find that the US is significantly worse.

If I may ask, do you own a business in Mass? Key words “through no fault of your own”. All people have to do is state it was no fault of their own. The state has made it very easy to file for UI, they will get paid and the company has to fight to stop it, because the state charges the company for UI.
You do not automatically collect UI in MA when you file. Part of the process of filing includes confirmation with the company that you were not fired; this is partly why there is a couple week delay between when you file and when you start collecting is so the UI department confirms your eligibility and the amount you should receive. If you were fired, companies will inform the UI department as they don't want to pay for it; they will contest it. MA makes it very easy to file your UI claim and easy to collect UI, but that doesn't mean they don't also make it easy for businesses to contest it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter