Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

Hi, Folks! We are still planning our mid-August trip but I remain anxious about it. We leave in 2 weeks but, in the back of my mind, I think that a lot of the country could shut down soon. Sigh. Que sera, sera.
From what I've seen from vloggers streaming live, Disney is safer than shopping at the local Walmart, so no need to be anxious there. But, as you said the country or states could shut down, we don't know what the future holds from week to week.

I'm worried about my December trip, in some ways I feel it would be safer to travel now with lower attendance and everyone alert to the issue than later in the year when most everyone has let their guard down but the virus is still very much present.

You need to post pics of our second homes when you get there! I need my daily fix. 🤣

Hi, Folks! We are still planning our mid-August trip but I remain anxious about it. We leave in 2 weeks but, in the back of my mind, I think that a lot of the country could shut down soon. Sigh. Que sera, sera.
Everything is in such flux right now. I have a trip planned at the end of September and then again in November and January. The other day I was thinking that I should cancel September at least. However, I think the riskiest part is going to be flying...and I hate the thought of driving! From what I've seen, the parks and resorts look as though they're not too bad. I'll probably stay out of Disney Springs which is disappointing, but not worth the risk to me. I worry about the Nov/Jan trips because not only will we still be dealing with COVID-19, but also flu season so it's a bit of a double whammy! Just taking a day at a time to see what happens, but I can totally empathize with you....the whole thing is nerve racking and disheartening. Hang in there and if you do end up going, have a wonderful time!

For those looking at the Orange County Numbers - I just read on the NBA thread, that the NBA Covid rests at being added to the OC Numbers!!! So duh -
Hundreds of negative tests each day by players is driving the %positive rate down!!

Stay safe if you decide to go and please carefully quarantine when you return..
It may change the percentage a little, not much. Florida is testing about 100,000 test per day, some days even higher around 143,000 Even if the NBA was testing 1000 per day, which they are not even close to that. That is a 1% change. There are 22 teams at DW. That would be 45 people per team. Let’s not also forget about the labs in Florida a week or two ago that were only reporting positive cases.

Everything is in such flux right now. I have a trip planned at the end of September and then again in November and January. The other day I was thinking that I should cancel September at least. However, I think the riskiest part is going to be flying...and I hate the thought of driving! From what I've seen, the parks and resorts look as though they're not too bad. I'll probably stay out of Disney Springs which is disappointing, but not worth the risk to me. I worry about the Nov/Jan trips because not only will we still be dealing with COVID-19, but also flu season so it's a bit of a double whammy! Just taking a day at a time to see what happens, but I can totally empathize with you....the whole thing is nerve racking and disheartening. Hang in there and if you do end up going, have a wonderful time!
Flying 3 hours in a tube is bothersome. I know the better airlines are all promising between flight cleanings, good air circulation and keeping that middle seat open, but virus won't stop at the back of the seat. We need the row behind and in front open too if either of those folk are unknowingly infected, we're bound to catch it.

Years back I had an interview in GA. I flew an early morning direct flight from BOS to ATL, the flight was near empty. I had a window seat, there was no one in the middle seat and the woman on the isle had a stomach bug. While she was careful to catch it all in those handy dandy projectile pouches and I was super careful not to touch anything and to keep my face covered for the remainder of the trip (we were almost landing), wouldn't you know it I was sick for the second part of my interview the next day.

There are solutions, they're called suiting up as though we're working an ICU. It's extreme, but if we can stand it for just 3 hours it may be safer than driving 1200 miles both ways and stopping for food, restrooms and sleep. Exception to those towing their own campers... that's really the way to go.

Flying 3 hours in a tube is bothersome. I know the better airlines are all promising between flight cleanings, good air circulation and keeping that middle seat open, but virus won't stop at the back of the seat. We need the row behind and in front open too if either of those folk are unknowingly infected, we're bound to catch it.

Years back I had an interview in GA. I flew an early morning direct flight from BOS to ATL, the flight was near empty. I had a window seat, there was no one in the middle seat and the woman on the isle had a stomach bug. While she was careful to catch it all in those handy dandy projectile pouches and I was super careful not to touch anything and to keep my face covered for the remainder of the trip (we were almost landing), wouldn't you know it I was sick for the second part of my interview the next day.

There are solutions, they're called suiting up as though we're working an ICU. It's extreme, but if we can stand it for just 3 hours it may be safer than driving 1200 miles both ways and stopping for food, restrooms and sleep. Exception to those towing their own campers... that's really the way to go.
My goodness, I could not even imagine having to go through that interview - hopefully it was successful despite the stomach bug! I definitely hear you on the plane part...I'm not convinced I'm keeping my trips, but we'll see. Although I'm originally from Boston, I live in NJ now and will be flying United for all of my trips (and if I need to drive, at least I'm a bit closer to FL than you guys in MA). I keep watching my seat assignments and United's policies because I agree that I'm actually more concerned about the person sitting behind me sneezing or coughing on me than I am about the person next to me! In any case, it's a wait and see and I'll pull the plug if need be.

We're still hoping for our November trip. If current restrictions for coming back to MA are still in place then that could be the biggest reason we cancel. I'm not sure we can handle quarantining for 14 days and not sure about the availability and speed of getting a result done when we get home. My husband works in healthcare so he's being regularly tested but for myself and the kids we'd still need a negative test to go back to work and school.

Our points are 2018 points that we received when we bought last Winter and will expire if not used, so it's a bummer but it is what it is. Fingers crossed I guess!

We're still hoping for our November trip. If current restrictions for coming back to MA are still in place then that could be the biggest reason we cancel. I'm not sure we can handle quarantining for 14 days and not sure about the availability and speed of getting a result done when we get home. My husband works in healthcare so he's being regularly tested but for myself and the kids we'd still need a negative test to go back to work and school.

Our points are 2018 points that we received when we bought last Winter and will expire if not used, so it's a bummer but it is what it is. Fingers crossed I guess!
We are in the same boat- using 2018 points for our November trip and worried about the travel restrictions. Everything is so up in the air!!! I can't even worry about the points that could be lost bc it is what it is.

Ugh @aokeefe I totally feel your pain! I know it's just a vacation but we'll still be bummed to cancel. Points aside, we were just SO looking forward to our first DVC trip. I'm trying to stay hopeful but who knows what tomorrow brings never mind November :confused3

We leave in 13 days and are still going(and very excited to get away). I feel Disney is doing a great job with covid guidelines and will feel safe. We will get tested when we get home and then quarantine until I get the results. There's a lab near me that will do a rapid test for $85 and you get the results in a couple of hours.

That's great about the rapid test for $85. Where I live they are charging $150, and I'm not sure when you would get results. Think I'll just quarantine...

That's great about the rapid test for $85. Where I live they are charging $150, and I'm not sure when you would get results. Think I'll just quarantine...
@han22735 That's amazing! I haven't looked into testing yet but would happily test and pay for a quick result.
Not sure where in MA you guys are but its ARC labs in southborough. I'd have to use 2 more weeks of PTO if i don't get tested to return to work so 4 weeks in total. So def worth the $85

Thanks! That's not too far from us, so good to know. The place that is advertising $150, with no time frame for results was in Billerica.

Thanks! That's about an hour from us but would be worth a trip when we leave Logan to head home if there aren't any other options closer to us. Anything that would allow us to take our trip and return to work when we get home is worth the time and money! Is it by appointment or drop in?

Not sure where in MA you guys are but its ARC labs in southborough. I'd have to use 2 more weeks of PTO if i don't get tested to return to work so 4 weeks in total. So def worth the $85

https://www.arcpointlabs.com/southborough-framingham/covid-19-antibody-testing/Not sure which test you got from them, but I'm seeing $200 with a 48 hour turn around time.
Note, the antigen and antibody tests do not tell if you have recently contracted COVID-19, it takes time to build those up in our bodies.

Last edited:
I have a question about this new quarantine issue for anyone from Massachusetts. If you fly in/out of Bradley airport, would you be exempt from needing to quarantine? I see that traveling from Connecticut exempts you. So say you fly into Bradley, then drive home in Massachusetts. Technically, when you enter Massachusetts, you're not coming from Florida, you're coming from Connecticut, which is a state from which you're exempt from the quarantine rule. Or can you do that? Did I miss something reading the rules that would mean you'd still have to quarantine? I know that for those who live near Boston, this might be impractical, but when we lived in the Worcester area, we used to fly in/out of Bradley all the time. Curious about this.

@Simba's Mom I'm not sure, perhaps you could do it as a technicality but will your work know where you've been? Many companies are requiring you to quarantine or have a negative test to return to work.

ETA: I was curious about Connecticut's rules and looks like they also have a travel restriction from Florida. So it looks like the answer is no, you will not be able to fly into Bradley to avoid MA quarantine because you would still be asked to fill out a form when arriving into CT as well. I'm not sure the likelihood of these forms being followed up on though, so who knows if people will be following the rules or not? :confused3

Last edited:
I get it. No one likes to quarantine. There's a very very important reason for it though. Let's not talk about ways to cheat the system if coming from an area such as Florida that is overwhelmed with the virus.

Please, just get a test and be done with it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter