Matt's 2017 Spring Dapper Day Trip Report

By the time we made it all the way through the LONGEST PP Queue I think I've ever seen, it was 09:13. We decided we needed to hustle it over to Tomorrowland and grab some Space Mountain before it got too busy. I grabbed some Star Tours FP along the way.

The Space Mountain Queue was NOT light this time of the morning..

IMG_2543%20(Large).jpg

The girls seemed to be taking it in good spirits as we NEVER wait in the standby queue for Space..

DSC_6328%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte was a thrill seeker of the family this trip for sure..

DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20170425_400882332264%20(Large).jpg

Our trip through the Standby queue had taken almost 30 minutes. It was going to be a short morning at this rate..

Since we were in the neighborhood, we jumped in standby for Buzz.. It was a relatively short wait. I did OK, but I did not hit any of the secret targets for some reason. Wonder if they had them turned off. Oh well. We grabbed Victoria a new bubble wand as hers had stopped working earlier in the day, and I grabbed an "I am Speed" Cars t-shirt on our way through the gift shop before we headed over to Star Tours. We were off Star Tours at 10:34. We split up and I headed back to the room to deal with the luggage while Amy got the girls lunch..

IMG_2406%20(Large).jpg

I hit the room and did some rearranging and grabbed Charlotte's parasol by request. I sat on the patio and enjoyed a bit of downtime while waiting for Bell Services.

IMG_2555%20(Large).jpg

Bell Services grabbed the luggage at 10:53 (one of the easiest check-outs ever) and I headed back to the parks. As I entered, I noticed one of the Jitney cars so I hopped on for a ride to the hub. This was the last Main Street vehicles I had to cross off my list which was pretty fortuitous.

IMG_2562%20(Large).jpg

We were going to meet up on Adventureland, so I grabbed one of those excellent Pork Belly Skewers. For those that are friends with me on Facebook, you know I'm a wizard with pork belly. Disney did a great offering here... darn good for "fast food". Another Moana Sipper got added to the tally (I think we have three of them now).

IMG_2565%20(Large).jpg

I connected with the family and short order and we decided a BTMRR trip was in order so we jumped in the queue at 11:55.

IMG_2568%20(Large).jpg

3 in the back two up front..

DSC_6336%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6340%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6351%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6369%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte was staring down that goat something fierce..

DSC_6378%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte the thrill seeker this trip yet again!!

DSC_6389%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6390%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6391%20(Large).jpg

I love how the Dominguez Palm stands out from just about anywhere in the park with an elevated perspective.

DSC_6393%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6412%20(Large).jpg

I love how the ribs of the T-rex make a tunnel.

DSC_6416%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6417%20(Large).jpg

It would take us 28 minutes to wind our way through the BTMRR queue and experience the wildest ride in the wilderness. I’ve always LOVED BTMRR, especially at night. You can see a lot of the exterior details during the day, but it takes on a whole different mood at night.

We decided we'd park hop, but not before we did a round on Splash!! It was getting a bit hot. On the way, I noticed they had dropped the scrims on the ROA. The workers were working on the rock work... it's going to be pretty cool, but WAYYY too short with 1/4 of the River missing... Oh the price we pay for "progress" when Star Wars Land should have been a separate third gate..

DSC_6419%20(Large).jpg

We got in the LOOOOONG standby queue.. and waited.. and waited... and waited... All the while trying to keep my kids behaving properly when they keep seeing other miss-behaving kids to draw influence from. Some of those "kids" were teenagers though which made it all the worse..

FINALLY, we got to board our log...I really hoped I would have the entire log to ourselves, but running at this time of the day, they filled it to capacity which means I had to CRAM my camera bag between me and the seat which is no small feat...

IMG_2410%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2412%20(Large).jpg

And we were off... BTW, I hummed Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah the entire time I was writing this part of the TR. I really need to find a copy of the Song of the South...

[VIDEO]

DSC_6423%20(Large).jpg

While out of focus, I did notice this guy has a mint julep.... give me!!

DSC_6424%20(Large).jpg

Showing a little bit too much here which is why I'm reminded NEVER to look behind you on a dark ride..

DSC_6442%20(Large).jpg

Here we go!!!

DSC_6446%20(Large).jpg

This would be Amy's why in the heck did I agree to ride this and get soaked face.

DSC_6450%20(Large).jpg

And Charlotte's "Can we do it again" face..

DSC_6455%20(Large).jpg

I'll be so happy to see the train running through the finale again..

DSC_6456%20(Large).jpg

I had never noticed this little guy before. He's Out of Focus, but he'll make a great subject to try to reshoot on future trips..

DSC_6460%20(Large).jpg

Always loved this scene..

DSC_6461%20(Large).jpg

One of these days I'll get a proper shot of Mr. Owl instead of this grainy, underexposed hot mess.

DSC_6465%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte and I were the adventurers this trip..

DLPCA_SPLASHMOUNTAINRIDE_20170425_400897937434%20(Large).jpg

After our soaking, it was time for a bathroom break for the girls. While I waited, I noticed this.. I love the back story to all the attractions..

IMG_2569%20(Large).jpg

Sufficiently soaked and sufficiently satisfied with Disneyland we chose to park hop over to DCA to round out our trip..

IMG_2578%20(Large).jpg

Confirmed... The new GOTG is a hideous eyesore... Going to hate it till it gets torn down.

The older girls and Amy went to do a round on Screamin' while I got in line for Cove bar... I was quoted a 30 minute wait which would hold true...

Charlotte is my spirit animal here...

DCA_CALIFORNIASCREAMINRIDE_20170425_400904392183%20(Large).jpg

The family returned about the time I was up to the hostess. I have no ideas where they got the dye-laced cupcake but it was perfect timing..

DSC_6471%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6483%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6490%20(Large).jpg

We were seated in a great spot. Amy checked out the menu

DSC_6480_large%20(Large).jpg

What was she going to order I wonder....

DSC_6480%20(Large).jpg

She has mastered the "don't take a picture of me" pose...

DSC_6497%20(Large).jpg

Lobster Nachos of course!!!

DSC_6500%20(Large).jpg

And Mojitos... (what she was really eyeing up)

IMG_2579%20(Large).jpg

We also ordered some Spinach and Artichoke dip with chips... also top notch... maybe not as good as we do at home, but close...

They took off to hit the bakery while I finished my second beverage. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love the Smoked Turkey...

IMG_2585%20(Large).jpg

Amy returned and we headed back towards the Grand... about mid-way over the bridge between Cove and the mainland, we noticed the Passenger-side tire on the stroller was pretty much flat.. Not wanting to deal with it via the esplanade, we just headed back to the Grand.

A relatively quick luggage retrieval and vehicle round up, we were loading.. Apparently we had increased in volume despite depleting the contents of most of the coolers, as we had to struggle to find a place for everything... We stacked the girls in amid luggage, finally closed the tailgate, bid our hosts adieu and hit the road at 16:50. Amy was driving so I tried to close my eyes most of the time...she’s a scary driver..

Victoria did NOT want to be looked at much less photographed...

IMG_20170425_174605818%20(Large).jpg

IMG_20170425_174619003_HDR%20(Large).jpg

Finally we were moving until we hit traffic... ugh.. a long time moving at a snail's pace.. I LOVE CA...

And then... when we finally hit the 60, somebody chose to drive into the back of another vehicle causing a 1-lane restriction.. thank heavens I wasn't driving.. I'd be furious...

IMG_2591%20(Large).jpg

IMG_2595%20(Large).jpg

As I constantly proclaim.. "Why can't people DRIVE?" Seriously.. there should be a competency test which gives you access to the fast lane and a break on insurance if you are competent...

For the record, Amy hates when I do this.. I keep doing it..

IMG_2597%20(Large).jpg

I think that's one of Mickey's ears from the sour bread mickey head we grabbed from Boudin on our way out of the park..

IMG_2599%20(Large).jpg

Finally we were in Bat Country...

Bat_Country.gif

IMG_2607%20(Large).jpg

The younglings were sufficiently entertained and silenced by the glowing boxes protruding from the headliner..

IMG_2612%20(Large).jpg

At 20:45 we were fully fueled up and safely back in the Arizona Territory, we swapped drivers and it was time to throw on East Bound and Down and put the hammer down and take advantage of Arizona's superior speed limit...

Look at that range... let's see how quickly I can knock that down....East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', We're gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

I really need a screaming chicken decal for the hood of the axiom.. and a shaker scoop…

IMG_2615%20(Large).jpg

We pulled into the driveway at 22:38, which is a much earlier arrival than we usually make. Glad to be home, the kids were carried inside and I proceeded to empty out the Axiom. It had been a long four days and a great set of memories made. Thanks for following me along...

And here is the haul...

Clockwise... Three Moana Sippers...Disneyland Picture Frame... Jungle Cruise Socks... Three Minnie Hats.. Mini Sipper Cup... Charlotte's Parasol... Two Mickey Trivets, Four Grand Californian Coffee Mugs (LOVE these, I now have a complete set of eight), Small World Dooney, Pressed Coin Wallet (we have all the pressed coins on real copper and real silver), Mickey fruit bowl, the new "fake" art tile (more on this later), Chip cup, Exclusive Matterhorn and Lion King Villain Pin, Mary Poppins Mug, Cheshire Cat mug, Four 500-piece puzzle set, Pirates of the Caribbean Popcorn bucket, BB8 sipper, and MSEP lanyards.

IMG_2638%20(Large).JPG

Here's a close up of the frame with a pic of us from the previous Dapper Day in it.

IMG_3037%20(Large).JPG

Some close ups of the mugs

IMG_2639%20(Large).JPG

IMG_2642%20(Large).JPG

Some of the apparel..

Grizzly River Run T-shirt, Grizzly River Run Hat, I Am Speed T-shirt, one of those add-on Disney backpacks, Grizzly River Run T-shirt for one of the girls.

IMG_2647%20(Large).JPG

And the Minnie Beach Blanket

IMG_2648%20(Large).JPG

And now my rant... the art tile..I've been kicking myself for not getting two of the ORIGINAL CRAFTSMAN art tiles instead of just the one I got. These are TRUE art tiles, hand crafted (as in craftsman style.. you know... by hand).

My original one.. lovingly created..

IMG_3036%20(Large).JPG

NOW.... they sell these CHEAP, China-made ones which are about 1/4 as dense, made out of some unknown material, mass produced.. total sell out Disney. You lose MAJOR points for this.

IMG_3035%20(Large).JPG

Alas, I had to get one as I needed two to frame my Grand Californian Print as one original and one of the new "Fake" ones didn't look right because they are a different size, thickness, and glaze color. The originals occasionally come up on EBay for crazy prices (3-400 usually), so getting a second of the REAL ones is out of the question.

IMG_3034%20(Large).JPG

I'm so sad to see Disney cheap out on those art tiles. So sad.

Great trip report, Matt, as always! Now I feel bad that I've only lurked and never commented on any of your other TRs. They're all so well-done and your photographs are stellar. Whenever I need a little Disney magic, I come to the boards and search for TRs to read, and yours always rank at the top.

Thank you for taking the time to share your family's adventures with the rest of us! :thanks:

Great trip report, Matt, as always! Now I feel bad that I've only lurked and never commented on any of your other TRs. They're all so well-done and your photographs are stellar. Whenever I need a little Disney magic, I come to the boards and search for TRs to read, and yours always rank at the top.

Thank you for taking the time to share your family's adventures with the rest of us! :thanks:
Thanks!!

I love re-reading them myself. Brings back so many great memories..

Love love love your reports! I seem to find them after the fact, but I can't stop reading them once I start! They are informative and entertaining. We were there the same as you for your November trip, but I don't believe I saw you and your beautiful girls. That was the first time we went during an event such as that and were slightly terrified by the crowds. We usually go in July and find that to be more manageable for some reason.

Anyway! Love your reports and the effort you put into them!

Love love love your reports! I seem to find them after the fact, but I can't stop reading them once I start! They are informative and entertaining. We were there the same as you for your November trip, but I don't believe I saw you and your beautiful girls. That was the first time we went during an event such as that and were slightly terrified by the crowds. We usually go in July and find that to be more manageable for some reason.

Anyway! Love your reports and the effort you put into them!

Appreciate it. I'm struggling to finish the other ones. I've always got so much going on, never any time.

Great report, love the photos!

I have a couple of questions:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere - what camera do you have? It looked like a Nikon from the straps but I can't tell which model.

Crowds - Is this normal for late April crowds, or more to do with being during Dapper Day/a week after Easter? I am planning a trip April 2018 and while the idea of Dapper Day seems fun, the crowds do not. Thanks!!

I may be a little late to this party, but your pictures of Olaf during the Frozen show made me laugh. I had to do a "double take" because I thought the cast member was holding a gun to the back of Olaf. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Great report, love the photos!

I have a couple of questions:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere - what camera do you have? It looked like a Nikon from the straps but I can't tell which model.

Sorry for the late response. Not sure how I missed this question.

This TR was shot with a Nikon D600 with a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap (they discontinued it, and I don't like my new crumpler convenient disgrace strap as much).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TTL9S0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JAJ3H7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently upgraded to a D750. I want to get my D600 up on ebay this weekend to help offset the upgrade cost.

Crowds - Is this normal for late April crowds, or more to do with being during Dapper Day/a week after Easter? I am planning a trip April 2018 and while the idea of Dapper Day seems fun, the crowds do not. Thanks!!

Disneyland is pretty much crowded all the time, but Dapper Day always makes it way worse on actual Dapper Day. Hence us always doing a cabana in the early afternoons on Dapper Day proper.

I may be a little late to this party, but your pictures of Olaf during the Frozen show made me laugh. I had to do a "double take" because I thought the cast member was holding a gun to the back of Olaf. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It's definitely a gun... or a gas pump... how it got through security is beyond me...

Out of the archives into the light...... Just read the entire TR and loved it!
We are visiting DLR for the first time next month..... and....
Came to this post to see the pics of the Frozen show and ended up enjoying the entire thing! Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts