Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

And I don't know why, but I missed these pics... Doh... I don't feel like redoing the 9th installment of day 2, so here they are..

There was a pic of Lindsey at the club!!

IMG_8460%20(Large).JPG

And my Scallop which was mysteriously missing.

IMG_8470%20(Large).jpg

And the haul for us from the night (Lindsey got a few items as well).

IMG_8532%20(Large).jpg

The next morning found us running a little bit behind schedule after being out till early that morning. We were making our way through Downtown Disney at 8:10 which was not only after the end of EMH, but also after DL opened for general admission... ouch... It was raining though, so crowds were light for a Wednesday.

DSC_1139%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1143%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1146%20(Large).jpg

Peter was down, so we made our way over to Alice instead.

DSC_1150%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1154%20(Large).jpg

Not bad shot of the White Rabbit.

DSC_1156%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1160%20(Large).jpg

I don't know that I've ever shot the Dande-LION before.

DSC_1163%20(Large).jpg

Seldom get these guys either.

DSC_1170%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1171%20(Large).jpg

Katherine LOVES the Cheshire cat.

DSC_1175%20(Large).jpg

Never get the White Rabbit with the trumpet.

DSC_1180%20(Large).jpg

Amy usually looks like this when I get a new prop.. or tiki mug...

DSC_1184%20(Large).jpg

Looking back into the show scene of the Tea Party.

DSC_1191%20(Large).jpg

Peter was back up, so we headed over. The rain was keeping the crowds down, surprisingly.

DSC_1197%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1199%20(Large).jpg

If you look at the blocks from just the right angle (a little further into the attraction, but you can see some of that here), they say Disney and Peter Pan!!

DSC_1204%20(Large).jpg

Love the projection of Tink and Peter's Shadow.

DSC_1208%20(Large).jpg

Good shot of John

DSC_1210%20(Large).jpg

There the whole group is on Big Ben... and Tink too.

DSC_1215%20(Large).jpg

I wish I could get a better shot of the Indian Village one of these days. It's practically impossible.

DSC_1240%20(Large).jpg

Smee in his row boat

DSC_1248%20(Large).jpg

One of those mermaids bares a interesting resemblance to someone who lives... Under the Sea...

DSC_1250%20(Large).jpg

Utilizing MaxPass to its fullest, we also were able to do a quick Jaunt on the Matterhorn...and grab a future for Space Mountain.

DSC_1258%20(Large).jpg

The standby queue was short enough that we decided to wait and go TWICE in a row.

Katherine and Char being surprisingly nice to each other. Katherine wears that hoodie EVERY DAY in the winter. It's probably her single favorite piece of clothing.

DSC_1264%20(Large).jpg

Oh Victoria.

DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20180322_410288323899%20(Large).jpg

For some reason Photopass refuses to link this one. Says invalid Photopass # yet those two numbers up or down work just fine. WEIRD.

IMG_8506%20(Large).jpg

A quick trip on Star Tours (none of us were the rebel spy), and it was time to meet Lindsey and Reese at Space for another round!!! We appear to be missing some of our group... Not sure where they went..

DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20180322_410290093616%20(Large).jpg

DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20180322_410290170627%20(Large).jpg

DLPCA_SPACEMOUNTAINRIDE_20180322_410290232101%20(Large).jpg

Nemo was an ultra-short queue, so we jumped in and went for a trip on the Australian Great Barrier Reef..

DSC_1270%20(Large).jpg

Uh Oh... Darla is on the prowl for some clown fish!!!

DSC_1272%20(Large).jpg

Yum!!!! Grouper..

DSC_1274%20(Large).jpg

More divers... is that Dr. Sherman? Look at the sunken Moai!!! I love me some Polynesian Tiki!!!

DSC_1277%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1280%20(Large).jpg

Some big ole pearls..

DSC_1283%20(Large).jpg

Bruce, be careful!!! Fish are Friends!!

DSC_1287%20(Large).jpg

Underwater Volcanoes with Gill, Bloat, and Gurgle.

DSC_1294%20(Large).jpg

Upon returning to land, it was time to start heading over to our 10:40 breakfast reservation at Carnation Cafe.

No pics of breakfast, but it was good. I would do again.

Vic wanted to color me..

IMG_8527%20(Large).jpg

Yay!! You finally wrote it and I finally finished reading the whole thing! What an awesome, amazing birthday. Wish my 40th had been that fun! Or any of the subsequent milestones... But anyway, your pictures are incredible. My photography skills are non-existent so I'm stuck with cell phone shots; not nearly as gorgeous but at least I have more memories saved than in the old days when I had to send of film to be developed (and so rarely bothered to take many pics).

It was cool to meet up, albeit briefly, by Guardians and compare notes on our Club 33 meals :)

Thanks again for a great trip report, Matt!

Yay!! You finally wrote it and I finally finished reading the whole thing! What an awesome, amazing birthday. Wish my 40th had been that fun! Or any of the subsequent milestones... But anyway, your pictures are incredible. My photography skills are non-existent so I'm stuck with cell phone shots; not nearly as gorgeous but at least I have more memories saved than in the old days when I had to send of film to be developed (and so rarely bothered to take many pics).

I tell you, digital has really made memories more memorable. I am going to put together my trip reports in printed books one of these days. Those will be cool to have. Stay tuned, there's 2.5 days of awesome still left to go.

It was cool to meet up, albeit briefly, by Guardians and compare notes on our Club 33 meals :)

Thanks again for a great trip report, Matt!
Loved seeing you and meeting your daughters finally. You doing spring Dapper Day? I booked 3 nights at the Grand for Charlotte's 10th Birthday. Gonna try to swing a C33 res for that to celebrate just like we did for Katherine. Char said she wants to do Napa too. That had me smiling as she's more culinary adventurous than Katherine.

This is my first time reading one of your trip reports and I am loving it! You take amazing pictures and your storytelling is great and your family is simply adorable! I feel like I’m there! Im in AZ too, Northern area, so fun to follow along with a fellow AZer. Can’t wait for the next installment, in the meantime, I’m going to get busy reading some of your other reports!

This is my first time reading one of your trip reports and I am loving it! You take amazing pictures and your storytelling is great and your family is simply adorable!
Thank you! I love taking Disney pics. It really helps me remember the trips.

I feel like I’m there! Im in AZ too, Northern area, so fun to follow along with a fellow AZer.
There's a ton of us here. I know quite a few in the valley from these boards. Great to make Disney friends.

Can’t wait for the next installment, in the meantime, I’m going to get busy reading some of your other reports!
More will be coming with the long weekend. Take a look through those old reports. There's a ton of greatness in them even the ones I never quite wrapped up. I think I have 2-3 I never even started yet.

Sufficiently filled from our late breakfast, Tori really wanted to go on IASW. I love the Sherman brother's original ballad version which started out slow and had the tempo brought in later as seen here

I must say this probably my least favorite attraction in both of the parks. The attraction just isn't my thing. I like the message of unity and peace but as far as attractions go... well... just not my cup of tea.

That being said, I'm seriously impressed with the staying power of this attraction. The attraction was designed for the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. The theme of that year's fair was “Peace Through Understanding”. The original attraction had some great sculpture out front. Today's facade is markedly different..

WFW665991%20(Large).jpg

Nowadays, Disney hasn't missed an opportunity to insert some IP ;) Cinderella..

DSC_1296%20(Large).jpg

IASW on bagpipes... It's actually kind of neat sounding. Google it.

DSC_1301%20(Large).jpg

This guy creeps me out. If there's one animatronic I would be afraid of should they come to life at night and chase you through the park... it would be that guy. I've got my eye on you...

DSC_1309%20(Large).jpg

Pinocchio... of course

DSC_1311%20(Large).jpg

The Russian Dancers are one of the favorites.

DSC_1323%20(Large).jpg

Aladdin and Jasmine... because..

DSC_1332%20(Large).jpg

Abu doing what Abu does best... steal stuff.

DSC_1336%20(Large).jpg

I loved these guys head dresses.

DSC_1339%20(Large).jpg

Alluring.. yet deadly

DSC_1344%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1348%20(Large).jpg

Mulan

DSC_1357%20(Large).jpg

Who is this meant to represent... hmm..

DSC_1362%20(Large).jpg

Clearly nobody told these hyenas they could die laughing like the weasels in Roger Rabbit...

DSC_1364%20(Large).jpg

Simba... he just couldn't wait to be king..

DSC_1368%20(Large).jpg

Blurry, underexposed pic, but I loved how they portrayed the water with the floating lexan.

DSC_1372%20(Large).jpg

And Beshte

DSC_1373%20(Large).jpg

Nala atop Pumbaa

DSC_1376%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1380%20(Large).jpg

This cow shares a striking resemblance to Clarabelle.

DSC_1396%20(Large).jpg

Never noticed Cactus Bob over here killing it with the guitar.

DSC_1398%20(Large).jpg

The Aztec mask reminds me a little of Tiki

DSC_1401%20(Large).jpg

José Carioca, Donald Duck, and Panchito Pistoles

DSC_1405%20(Large).jpg

Some more IP... Ariel.

DSC_1408%20(Large).jpg

Loved the kiwi and the Māori. I wish they'd redo the character with some traditional tattoos too.

DSC_1419%20(Large).jpg

Dory and Nemo

DSC_1422%20(Large).jpg

Lilo and Stitch

DSC_1425%20(Large).jpg

Love the Moai!!

DSC_1430%20(Large).jpg

These Platypus need to be careful with those eggs.

DSC_1433%20(Large).jpg

Love the hula!

DSC_1441%20(Large).jpg

This guy has quite the interesting headdress. It's actually contextual for New Zealand and known as a Pare 'eva. I love the drum too.

DSC_1445%20(Large).jpg

I wonder if this is Louis?

DSC_1447%20(Large).jpg

The masks on these guys made me think of Lock, Shock, and Barrel from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

DSC_1449%20(Large).jpg

And.... Kansas

DSC_1452%20(Large).jpg

Judging by the garb, it appears the Pima tribe is represented.

DSC_1454%20(Large).jpg

And some shameless IP plugs with Jessie

DSC_1456%20(Large).jpg

And Woody

DSC_1457%20(Large).jpg

It's all flowers and balloons from here on out.

DSC_1459%20(Large).jpg

Just floating away..

DSC_1463%20(Large).jpg

Around 1:40 we decided it was time to head back to the room for a little down time. We made our way through the hub and took notice as equal amounts of people seemed to be coming and going as it was still drizzling.

DSC_1468%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1470%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1474%20(Large).jpg

Katherine fancied herself a Jedi after she built herself a lightsaber.

DSC_1480%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1481%20(Large).jpg

Fountains in the rain are always fun.

DSC_1503%20(Large).jpg

We settled in for a few hours of downtime and some rest. I decided before we got going again for the day, we needed a pick me up or two, so I recruited Charlotte, and we headed over to the coffee shop by Goofy's Kitchen.

DSC_1510%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1520%20(Large).jpg

For those who aren't aware, they served Dole Whip there!!! And... they'll douse it with a shot of rum for a few dollars extra... YEP... that's what the Doctor ordered..

IMG_8531%20(Large).jpg

Around 4:30, it had cleared up and we decided to head back into the parks.

It's always difficult traveling with a Sith...(somebody should tell her Sith traditionally use synthetic red kyber crystals in their sabers)

DSC_1531%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte's legs are perpetually tired... Vic was kind and let her ride.

DSC_1539%20(Large).jpg

Our first stop... Monster's Inc. Vic was excited to drive.

DSC_1547%20(Large).jpg

Celia and Mike were hitting it off. Little known fact, the name for Mike Wazowski came from the father of the Muppet performer Frank Oz.

DSC_1549%20(Large).jpg

I love the wide views of Monstropolis. Underappreciated I say

DSC_1552%20(Large).jpg

Sulley seems to be perpetually carrying Boo

DSC_1565%20(Large).jpg

Amy and I constantly make reference to Harryhausen's. Another little known fact, the restaurant is named after the late stop-motion animator Ray Harryhausen. He has quite the assortment of movie credits under his belt. Here's all of them... some great ones here.

While octopuses in real life have eight tentacles, the Chef only has six; this is a reference to the 1955 science-fiction film It Came from Beneath the Sea, in which Ray Harryhausen, the film's special effects artist and animator, created an octopus with only six arms due to budget restrictions.

If you look close, to the right of the sushi chef, you can see Marlin on the screen behind him. Finding Nemo was the next Pixar film after Monsters, Inc., and they worked it in to both the movie and the attraction. I love all the little eyeballs, the sake bottles, and the wrapped tentacle on the Octopus.

DSC_1572%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1577%20(Large).jpg

Boo fits in the take out container perfectly.

DSC_1585%20(Large).jpg

Back at Monster's Inc, Smitty and Needleman are clocking out.

DSC_1599%20(Large).jpg

I particularly like the poster behind them. It's published by the Monster Occupational Safety & Hazard agency (MOSH). It depicts hazard symbols and what they mean.

Left column from top to bottom:

Scream Escaping - Caution: Escaping Scream can lead to low-level hearing loss. Check all seals and valves before handling.
Electric - Caution: Electricity can cause severe bodily harm. Always check for current before handling.
Radiation - Caution: Prolonged exposure in kinds can result in long-term health related problems, including loss of sight.

Right column from top to bottom:

Extreme Heat - Caution: Check surfaces for heat before handling. Serious burns and hair loss can result from heat.
Poison - Caution: Harmful if touched or consumed. Do not induce vomiting. Not to be enjoyed as a beverage. (the symbol for this one is a skull and crossbones, but the skull has an enlarged cranium with a single eye... love it)
Fire - Caution: Stay clear of fire zones. Use extreme caution if covered with over 40% body hair; hair loss may occur. (lolz... only 39% hair coverage... we are good)

Then there's the pay rules....

Maximum Labor Minimum Wage... 4.75 per hour.

And a disclaimer:

As proud members of the Monsters Incorporated Scare Team, you are both encouraged and required to work within, but not restricted to, Time Zone Scare Shifts of not less than fourteen hour increments, with additional scaring encouraged as required but not limited to non-overtime shifts in eight hour increments per shift. Compensation will be regulated according to scare counts tallied within each shift, proportional to scream surplus divided by scream loss, minus inter-time zonal redundancy overlap.

Compensation occurs on every Thursday, not withstanding compensory delays in excess of, but not limited to, thirty working days for the duration of the pay period. Delays will be notified to scarers in advance as determined by the Compensation Delay Board and the Prompt Pay Oversight Committee.

Compensation shall be in the form of, but not limited to, Scare Bucks drawn from the general monster funds, not withstanding withholdings from the Financial Debt and Non-Imbursement Department. All scarer rights are secured and guaranteed by Article 15: "In the Interest of the Company."

MOSHA has published many public and private guidelines to assist employers in eliminating or perfecting programs to prevent outstanding efforts of this nature.

It's almost like Disney wrote it as applicable to their park CMs...

And Mike losing his mind now that there's a kid free on the scare floor.

DSC_1604%20(Large).jpg

Randall showing us how he can perfectly match his background..

DSC_1608%20(Large).jpg

He even stoops to stealing screams...

DSC_1623%20(Large).jpg

They spotted Boo's door!!

DSC_1624%20(Large).jpg

Boo bonking Randall!! He had it coming.

DSC_1651%20(Large).jpg

Mike loves swinging from doors.

DSC_1662%20(Large).jpg

Saying goodbye to Boo.

DSC_1663%20(Large).jpg

Interviewing the CDA

DSC_1665%20(Large).jpg

And Roz. I LOVE the interactivity of her and her witty commentary.

DSC_1667%20(Large).jpg

All in all, Monsters Inc, is one of the best done dark rides with really limited animatronics. There's practically no movement in most of the vignettes. They make masterful use of mirrors with the doors, and the story progresses pretty great with pepper's ghost effects for Randall It’s a definite must-do and rarely has a line. The queue is full of great backstory and references as well. Totally underrated.

I love that ride so, so much! Roz is my favorite part. The interactivity is just as fun as the old "Push" the talking trashcans they used to have in California Adventure. Could never figure out how they did it when I was younger until my mom pointed out after we were walking away the CM talking into a microphone in his sleeve 10-15 feet away. Magic ruiner! lol

I love that ride so, so much! Roz is my favorite part. The interactivity is just as fun as the old "Push" the talking trashcans they used to have in California Adventure. Could never figure out how they did it when I was younger until my mom pointed out after we were walking away the CM talking into a microphone in his sleeve 10-15 feet away. Magic ruiner! lol

While the attraction is largely static displays of the vignettes, I think it was really well done for that category of attraction. They used a lot of practical effects too and only 2 instances of projection that I recall. Maybe that's what speaks to me.

I think Monsters Inc is underrated too. And it's such a huge improvement over that silly Superstar Limo ride. I really hope it doesn't get swept away in any new changes.

Everybody was ready for some dinner after Monsters. I was sent on a quest to retrieve a Turkey Leg... I did so while the rest of the girls got dinner from Award Weiners.

DSC_1674%20(Large).jpg

Reese happy about building a Light Saber of her own.

DSC_1678%20(Large).jpg

Vic being a sloppy eater..

DSC_1683%20(Large).jpg

You can see Katherine was jonesing for some of Char's turkey leg. She was instructed to wait her turn as she had already eaten a hotdog.

DSC_1691%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte meticulously dissected it. YUM. We do love smoked poultry. They say my smoked chicken legs taste just like it.

DSC_1695%20(Large).jpg

I was hungry AND thirsty, so I popped over to the adult beverage counter at the far corner of the backlot, grabbed a Tower 10, and then hit up the Studio Catering Company Food Truck for some of their "Most Dangerous Tacos in the Galaxy". They were Barbacoa Beef Tacos with Green Onion Slaw, Cabbage, Pickled Onions, and Habanero Salsa.

I found them yummy, but felt mislead by the "Habanero Salsa". It felt about a 3/10 on the heat-meter. I guess appeal to the masses and all that garbage...

DSC_1703%20(Large).jpg

We attempted to see the Starlord and Gamora dance-off at 5:25, but they no-showed on us. While we were waiting, we met up with Cheri (@DizMe) and her daughters, made introductions for the un-initiated, talked about her daughter's big move, and compared notes on our Club 33 meals.

Afterward, we headed over to Soarin' I just can't get into the new CGI-heavy Soarin' over the world. I want the original back, or a better-done World (prefer the original over California, maybe with updated footage).

IMG_8537%20(Large).jpg

We were in the FP line for Guardians at 6:50 and didn't get off until 7:30. Crazy long wait for a FP for GOTG. Charlotte had her head down for this... not sure why.. strange kid.

DCA_GUARDIANSESCAPECRIDE_20180323_410303161828%20(Large).jpg

It was time for some dessert, and we headed over to Car's land to meet up with Lindsey at the Cozy Cone. Everybody got soft-serves and we headed across the way to Flo's to eat them as it was still raining.

There was a Disneyland Photog there, so we snapped some group shots.

DCA_CARFLOCAFE_20180323_8206079870%20(Large).jpg

DCA_CARFLOCAFE_20180323_8206079870_2%20(Large).jpg

DCA_CARFLOCAFE_20180323_8206079873%20(Large).jpg

DCA_CARFLOCAFE_20180323_8206079874%20(Large).jpg

DCA_CARFLOCAFE_20180323_8206079874_2%20(Large).jpg

I just gotta say... if I could ever have a second career, it would be working for Disney making up funny stuff people never actually read. This is a perfect example... Quality Oil... From the makers of Non-Quality Oil" OMG.. so good.

DSC_1706%20(Large).jpg

By now it was getting late. Lindsey and Reese had another Guardians FP, so we parted ways. They went their way, we went ours. We'd meet up tomorrow.. it was the BIG DAY. On the way out of the park I stopped off for a bowl of clam chowder for Amy and I to eat. It was amazing after a cold, rainy, night. The sourdough was so comforting... oh how I love it.

IMG_8543%20(Large).jpg

We hit the room at 8:40, got the kids in a warm bath, and Amy and I just relaxed. We would have a big day tomorrow and needed some rest.

Those pictures outside of Flo's are nice! I like the colors, and it's always great to get group shots, especially so the "family photographer" gets to be in some pictures.

Those pictures outside of Flo's are nice! I like the colors, and it's always great to get group shots, especially so the "family photographer" gets to be in some pictures.

I honestly wish I could just pay someone to follow me around every day. If any AP-holder who knows how to operate a DSLR, please contact me before my next trip...

Well... given we took time to pack up the room this morning to minimize the time at check-out for our room swap, we didn't make it out of the tower until 7:46. EMH was at DCA today at 7AM... ooops. Oh well. Disneyland opened at 8, so we hustled over there.

We stopped in front of the castle at 8:03 for a few quick family pics..

DSC_1709%20(Large).jpg

First the DLR Photog. I really wish there was a way to pay extra and get some RAW captures. They use fill-flash and I wish I could tweak it down in post, but working with JPG is pretty limiting.

DLPCA_CASTLEICON1NC_20180323_8206176780%20(Large).jpg

DLPCA_CASTLEICON1NC_20180323_8206176782%20(Large).jpg

Next up some shots out of mine..

DSC_1713%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1717%20(Large).jpg

We made our way for Peter and jumped in queue. Time for a shot of the birthday boy. I LOVE my shirt. BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!

IMG_E8547%20(Large).jpg

Girls were posing as usual.

DSC_1720%20(Large).jpg

Good shot of Peter on Big Ben.

DSC_1747%20(Large).jpg

After a trip around London and Neverland with Peter, there was a perfect opportunity for a meet and greet!!

DSC_1786%20(Large).jpg

We were determined to slam out Fantasyland, so into Snow White we went.

DSC_1794%20(Large).jpg

I never noticed the detail on that organ before. I'll have to do some shooting of that on my next trip.

DSC_1799%20(Large).jpg

I've always loved these crystals

DSC_1805%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1830%20(Large).jpg

And since we were in the neighborhood... Pinocchio

DSC_1834%20(Large).jpg

I can never get the Pepper's Ghost Blue Fairy right before this scene... doh.

DSC_1875%20(Large).jpg

Loved the little music maker.

DSC_1878%20(Large).jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter