Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

Thank you for a great trip report, I am only three years late! I didn't think it would particularly interest me but during these covid times (and now being forced to be inside in Northern California b/c of the fires) I am surprising myself with what exactly I am interested in. I loved this and decided I may even want o actually do this tour sometime. Two questions: 1) are those the names actually given to the grotesquerie birds (like on a plaque) or did you name them?
Those are the actual names as called out by the tour guide. I think you can look it up, but the artist identified them all.

and 2) you mentioned "Disney wood" way back when you talked about the archways in the main lobby. Is that a joke for fake wood? Or does Disney typically use a certain kind of wood for structures....
Yep, it's the joke for "Disney wood". Fabricated but awesome!

I'm giving this excellent thread a well deserved bump, and also adding a few photos from my Green Gables visit.

Green Gables is located in Woodside CA, south of San Francisco. The home is still owned by decendents of the original owners, and the upstairs remains a private residence. The ground floor and grounds are used for private events, like the one I attended. The home is beautiful, but lacks the extensive wood work found at the Gamble House. The grounds were spectacular.

A small sun-room did have beautiful woodwork, and a book was left open to a page featuring the room.
View attachment 278153
View attachment 278154

View from the far end of the property, looking up toward the house in the distance:
View attachment 278155

Reverse angle view, halfway up the hill toward the house. Previous photo was taken from structure at the end of the pond.
View attachment 278156

Transition from the lower "informal" gardens (with unusual jagged stone work), to the more formal brink work close to the house.View attachment 278157

Closer to the house, a smaller pond.
View attachment 278158

Reverse angle view, near the house looking back toward the gardens.
View attachment 278159

Another bump to this thread, in case anyone has some spare cash :rotfl:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/most-expensive-home-Bay-Area-green-gables-16022970.php
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/329-Albion-Ave-Redwood-City-CA-94062/2073226385_zpid/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!