Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

I THINK you just have to be a guest of the DLR hotels, not necessarily the Grand itself. That being said... you might be able to fake them out and attend even if not a guest.
I THOUGHT anyone could take the hotel tours, but have never confirmed.
It is important to make reservation in advance, to avoid having the tour cancelled for low attendance.
Not available on KAET (my local PBS)..boo...
Also not available in Northern California, but perhaps PBS-SoCal will stream it (once it airs).
I suspect "Gamble House" might be airing in SoCal to allow viewing by Academy members (or other award voters).

I THOUGHT anyone could take the hotel tours, but have never confirmed.
It is important to make reservation in advance, to avoid having the tour cancelled for low attendance.

I honestly don't know. I remember them asking my room number when I singed up for it. I TRIED to do the tour three times before I was actually able to do it. It was cancelled 75% of the times I signed up for it. .

Loving the story so far, giving me a new appreciation of the hotel. We've only stayed there once but it was one of my most memorable hotel stays. I still remember the feeling checking in.

Has there been any mention of the influence of The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley? Here is my photo taken from Glacier Point a couple of years ago..

IMG_7132.jpg

Loving the story so far, giving me a new appreciation of the hotel. We've only stayed there once but it was one of my most memorable hotel stays. I still remember the feeling checking in.

Has there been any mention of the influence of The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley? Here is my photo taken from Glacier Point a couple of years ago..

There hasn't, however I've heard it mentioned ( I think on the Disney planning DVD) that it was inspired by the Grand Lodges of the National Park (hopefully not confusing it with the Wilderness Lodge, but they were both done by the same designer).

We ventured out of StoryTeller's rounded the corner and readied in front of Napa Rose!! I was the designated door-holder. Napa Rose is the second of the Grand's restaurants and was also designed by the same designer as Storyteller's, Marty Dorr. He also did the Citricos at the Grand Floridian, Flying Fish at Disney's Boardwalk Villas and California Grill at the Contemporary Resort and Palo on the Disney Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fantasy Cruise ships. This restaurant is modeled after Charles Rennie Mackintosh. She asked us if any of us had heard of the Mackintosh Rose. No answers.. She replied that it was the square rose that we could see in the room. (While the roses pictured in the room were indeed Mackintosh Rose, the square rose she mentioned was actually a Hunter Rose... Just saying).

A classic Hunter Rose:

hunter_rose%20(Large).jpg

And a Mackintosh Rose:

mackintosh_rose%20(Large).jpg

The best thing about Charles Rennie Mackintosh was not only his idea of design following yin and yang but he like to have straight lines but also a lot of curves. Straight lines and 90-degree angles were masculine, the curves, feminine and he had both in all his designs to give it both that yin and yang. Hence, the Macintosh Rose has a lot of corners on the inside but also a lot of rounding of the edges to give it both the male and female. Another thing he did in his designs is he would pick one idea and infuse it throughout the entire architectural design. He's most famous for the Willow Tree(sic) Tea Rooms over in Scotland where he was born. He took the idea of a Willow Tree and infused it throughout the entire design even making Willow Tree leaves etched into silverware.

Some examples of his original tea rooms:

Just look at those tall chairs with curved uppers creating an acoustic bubble which will be mentioned in a bit...

Mackintosh,_Room%20(Large).jpg

Willow_Tea_Room_Sign%20(Large).jpg

willow_interior%20(Large).jpg

She then asked if anybody could guess what Disney's idea was. Katherine answered ROSE. Yes... there are roses up in the lighting, down in the carpet, even carved in the back of the chairs. There rosebuds in the mosaic of the fireplace, and the hostesses even have it in their lapels. It's not in the silverware unfortunately.. BUT...they got pretty close to it. Charles did very good keeping it in his designs so they wanted to do as much as they could here.

We looked upon the lounge area., where it's first-come, first-served, not reservations and has full menus. We had never dined in the lounge before, merely the restaurant-proper and the Chef's counter, so we would be exercising the no-reservations policy of the lounge later in this trip.

DSC_0450%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0472%20(Large).jpg

Next, she ushered us into the "fun part", which was the belly of the restaurant. Our guide asked who had dined there before, and Amy and I were the only people to raise our hands. She asked if we remembered where we had sat and we pointed immediately to the table we had occupied, as well as our stools at the Chef's counter. She called us her veterans...(how I wish I could afford it on every trip). Katherine immediately piped in how she wanted to come too.

DSC_0455%20(Large).jpg

Our tour continued... The best part about the dining room was the continued use of the roses over on this side as well in the carpet. In the chair and the Mackintosh rose in the iron work of the chandeliers.., couple fun facts about this room, first off, they took the chair idea from Charles Rennie Mackintosh. He thought that in an open space like this, if you had a tall chair back that noise from the conversation would bounce off of the chairs and stay into the center of the table itself so it won't be so loud outside and you can still have a nice, enchanting conversation so rarely do they put parties of two at a table for four. They are usually sat at tables meant for two which is what happened to us to keep the noise level down. She asked us if it was really loud when we ate here, which neither of us could accurately remember. She then mentioned that he actually had some chair backs which went up to six feet tall in some of his restaurants. Could any of the gentlemen in the group imagine trying to push that in?

Another fun fact is all of the iron work that you see, the chandeliers, the metal work in the windows, all of the lanterns, and lastly, the hand-hammered brass you see above the kitchen was all done for them in a 3-week time period. They worked 24-hours a day for three weeks straight and were able to get it done by the time Disney wanted to open the restaurant.

Some of the window treatments:

DSC_0453%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0462%20(Large).jpg

And of course... the kitchen hood cover..

DSC_0459%20(Large).jpg

She mentioned us again and how we had gotten to enjoy the chef's counter and she likes to point it out because it is the only place on-property which has that amenity. There are only two seatings, 5:30 and 8:30 and you get to interact with the chefs while they are making your food. You can either go off the menu which is a prix fixe menu or you can be daring and say "make me whatever you want". That approach is quite daring because they love that stuff (we had asked the chefs to choose for us, but all they made was courses off the menu of their choosing which was kind of a disappointment.

That review is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...-halloween-party.3344654/page-2#post-52996098

The last thing she wanted to point out was the beautiful painting you see above the dining room. Those are actual Napa Valley wineries. She didn't know all the names of them, but she did know one, which was to her left, which had white siding and a red roof. It was Mondavi, and it was the same picture on the wine bottle. While she was unsure on the others, she mentioned she had people come in and name them, so she was confident in the assertion that they are actual Napa Valley Wineries.

DSC_0457%20(Large).jpg

What do you know... she was right!

robert-mondavi-winery%20(Large).jpg

Another thing with the photo she mused, that had anybody been by their vineyard and seen the rose bushes at the end of the vines? One person had, and when asked if she knew why they put them there, something about insects was mentioned. Rose bushes are a very sensitive plant (opinions vary on that because they grow just fine with next to no water here in Phoenix). They will be affected by drought, insects, and any environmental factors well before the grape vine will because they are a sturdier plant. They call the rose plants the alarm system of the vineyard. If something affects the rose bush, the farmers are able to see it and adapt to address the issue to make sure the grapes are fine for wine. They have quite the variety of wine in the restaurant, so she invited us to come back and sample some from the lounge.

She then asked who had heard of John Lasseter. Pretty much everybody had. She told of his winery near Emeryville. It is a smaller vineyards, but every time there is a new animated feature, there's a new bottle of wine. On display were the signed bottles he donated to the restaurant. If you ever get to go to Northern California, she recommends looking it up. It is apparently reservations only. There was also a large bottle for the first short he did.

They really need to DUST...

DSC_0466%20(Large).jpg

If I had a bottle of '97 d'yquem I'd be waving my hat too..

DSC_0469%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0470%20(Large).jpg

She talked about the roses being the theme of the restaurant again and asked a hostess for one of the real roses from the restaurant. The fun thing about Napa is not only is the idea of theming a big idea, but so is the idea of food and wine. They are real roses, but they have little to no scent. They have them grown that way to not impede on the dining experience. I decided they smelled like carnations personally. They apparently come from a local grower. Katherine asked what the name of them was.. .she didn't know, but asked the hostesses, but it is an antique Leonidas rose. She also explained that if we wanted to book the chef's table we would have to contact the restaurant directly so grab a business card on the way out if interested.

After a short walk back to the lobby, we paused by the elevator bank. Our host mentioned that we had probably noticed these handsome birds before and wondered what the story was behind them. She asked if anyone had heard of something called a grotesquerie. A grotesquerie in the early 1900s was like an early safe. It was a grotesque piece of art and either the head came off or the back came off and it was completely hollow so they would hid things in it like alcohol during prohibition, or money or tobacco. She then asked if there was any idea why and answered because it was such an ugly piece of art that if the house got robbed it would just be left behind. I wonder what happened when everybody figured that out.. they just took the ugly pieces and left the expensive pieces.

These pieces are modeled after those and the same wife and husband team who did the dancing bears at the front desk did these. These ones do not have the backs or heads come off unfortunately they are all one piece. Depending on what floor you are on you'll see the birds mirror that. Here at ground level or ocean level so we have the Puffin and the Pelican. All the way up on the sixth floor we have an Owl and an Eagle. Depending on what floor you are on, you can have a Crow, a Mourning Dove, a Sand Piper, a Duck, and several other ones. The birds are from the “The California Native” series by Susan Dannenfelser. These pieces of art were inspired by the “Grotesque Birds” created by the Martin Brothers in England between the years of 1875 and 1920.

Starting from ground level:

Scuttie the Pelican:

DSC_0473%20(Large).jpg

The Puffin:

DSC_0476%20(Large).jpg

2nd Floor:

The Great Blue Heron:

DSC_0522%20(Large).jpg

The Wood Duck:

DSC_0524%20(Large).jpg

Third Floor:

Elvis the Stellar Jay:

DSC_0511%20(Large).jpg

Angelique the Crow:

DSC_0513%20(Large).jpg

Fourth Floor:

Lady the Mourning Dove:

DSC_0503%20(Large).jpg

The not sure, but perhaps a brown-crested flycatcher?? If anybody knows, chime in..

DSC_0505%20(Large).jpg

Fifth Floor:

If anybody knows the species, please chime in!!!

Looks like a California Quail to me. Why it's on the FIFTH floor though is beyond me. Anybody confirm my suspicion?

DSC_0497%20(Large).jpg

A Whimbrel or Sandpiper perhaps???

DSC_0500%20(Large).jpg

and lastly, Sixth Floor:

The Owl:

DSC_0477%20(Large).jpg

and finally... the Eagle:

DSC_0479%20(Large).jpg

We were taken to the last piece featured on the tour, a piece done by Mr. Charlie Hale, who also did the table the Roycrofter Renaissance piece is on. It’s made out of Oak which was Mr. William Morris' favorite type of wood to utilize. This is an actual grandfather clock and depending what time of the day you are around (Two in the morning is a nice quiet time), you can hear the chiming of the clock). When we originally had it hammered, the hidden mickey was only shown for the little ones due to the angle the light hit the face. When they had it refinished, they made the hammering more prominent. The clock was also telling us our hour was up, so it was time to end the tour. She mentioned that every guide had different interests, one could talk about the Roycrofter table in the center of the lobby for the full hour. She encouraged us to take the tour again.

All told, the tour had taken 64 minutes, and I would ABSOLUTELY do it again!! So fun..

We love Napa Rose.....we dine there at least once each year we go to DLR (that's in 3-4 trips)

DH loves those "ugly birds". We have 2 reproductions in our house.....still cost a pretty penny

We also have the orange grove print that is hanging in the villa rooms.

We love Napa Rose.....we dine there at least once each year we go to DLR (that's in 3-4 trips)

We ate in the lounge on this trip (in the next installment actually), but would LOVE to get back to the dining room one of these days. I hate choosing between C33 and Napa, but can't usually justify doubling up during a trip.

DH loves those "ugly birds". We have 2 reproductions in our house.....still cost a pretty penny

We love bringing some of the Grand home... Was processing pics this morning and Vic saw one of the lanterns and asked if we could have it in our house... if they every come up for sale, maybe...

We also have the orange grove print that is hanging in the villa rooms.

Are you talking about the new prints they put in the room as part of the remodel, replacing the Snow White prints?

dgcf345346465.jpg

I skipped over this report for the past few days because I didn't think it would interest me. I finally opened it on a whim and love it! Thanx so much for taking the time to share.

I skipped over this report for the past few days because I didn't think it would interest me. I finally opened it on a whim and love it! Thanx so much for taking the time to share.

Glad you liked it. The older I get the more I discover that there's things I really didn't know I'd like until I tried/read about them. New experiences are always a good thing.

That's so much for this, Matt. I've never taken the tour because I always thought of it as time NOT in the parks, I think I'll reconsider next time.

AND I think after seeing the pictures of those items in the glass cases and the Roycroft I may need to dig out the miscellaneous pieces of pottery, vases, and dishware that I was given when my grandmother died! They've been packed away in the storage room for years!

We ate in the lounge on this trip (in the next installment actually), but would LOVE to get back to the dining room one of these days. I hate choosing between C33 and Napa, but can't usually justify doubling up during a trip.

We love bringing some of the Grand home... Was processing pics this morning and Vic saw one of the lanterns and asked if we could have it in our house... if they every come up for sale, maybe...

Are you talking about the new prints they put in the room as part of the remodel, replacing the Snow White prints?

dgcf345346465.jpg

No we have this one. I thought it was still in the villas......at least the studios
upload_2017-9-2_20-3-23.jpeg

That's so much for this, Matt. I've never taken the tour because I always thought of it as time NOT in the parks, I think I'll reconsider next time.

We find we are spending less and less times in the parks. When it gets busy/hot, we are now retreating to the hotel to take advantage of those amenities we are paying mega high dollar for.

AND I think after seeing the pictures of those items in the glass cases and the Roycroft I may need to dig out the miscellaneous pieces of pottery, vases, and dishware that I was given when my grandmother died! They've been packed away in the storage room for years!

You may have some hidden treasures in there!!

Thanks for the info. I have booked the tour for my next trip at the end of September! BTW- the tour is open to the public and runs on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 1pm. Need to make a reservation as there is only room for 15 per tour.

Thanks for the info. I have booked the tour for my next trip at the end of September! BTW- the tour is open to the public and runs on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 1pm. Need to make a reservation as there is only room for 15 per tour.

I would LOVE to hear your review of it after you take it.

...Coincidentally, I'm touring a Green Gables next month (1911 Greene & Greene designed home).
An event sponsored by McRoskey Mattress (local SF company) to introduce new bed linens (likely $$$).
I'm giving this excellent thread a well deserved bump, and also adding a few photos from my Green Gables visit.

Green Gables is located in Woodside CA, south of San Francisco. The home is still owned by decendents of the original owners, and the upstairs remains a private residence. The ground floor and grounds are used for private events, like the one I attended. The home is beautiful, but lacks the extensive wood work found at the Gamble House. The grounds were spectacular.

A small sun-room did have beautiful woodwork, and a book was left open to a page featuring the room.
gg_book.jpg
gg_sunroom.jpg

View from the far end of the property, looking up toward the house in the distance:
gg_1.jpg

Reverse angle view, halfway up the hill toward the house. Previous photo was taken from structure at the end of the pond.
gg_2.jpg

Transition from the lower "informal" gardens (with unusual jagged stone work), to the more formal brink work close to the house.gg_3.jpg

Closer to the house, a smaller pond.
gg_4.jpg

Reverse angle view, near the house looking back toward the gardens.
gg_5.jpg

Thank you for a great trip report, I am only three years late! I didn't think it would particularly interest me but during these covid times (and now being forced to be inside in Northern California b/c of the fires) I am surprising myself with what exactly I am interested in. I loved this and decided I may even want o actually do this tour sometime. Two questions: 1) are those the names actually given to the grotesquerie birds (like on a plaque) or did you name them? and 2) you mentioned "Disney wood" way back when you talked about the archways in the main lobby. Is that a joke for fake wood? Or does Disney typically use a certain kind of wood for structures....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter