Max Pass, Military Tickets and any other useful Info??

chaysmom

Mouseketeer
We will be in CA next week for a sports event, and decided to do 1 day at Disneyland. My kids are 10 and 8, and my parents will be coming along with us.

We are Disney Veterans, and have done both DL and WDW frequently with the kids. However, we haven't made it to a park in a year and a half (those youth sports and activities have been getting in the way!) so I'm a little rusty on some of the changes and updates. It's not a do-or-die trip, but we do want to maximize our time there.

Our touring plans are to get there mid to late morning so that we can stay up until the park closes.

1) For Max Pass - I can add my parents to my Disney account and manage the Fast Passes for all of us, right? We will be there on Sunday, January 27 - I had one friend tell me the crowds will be low and we won't need it, but I'm curious everyone else's thoughts?

2) My dad is a retired Marine (with ID). We are visiting Camp Pendleton before we hit the park. Can you purchase military tickets on base or do they need to be purchased at the park? What is the current rate, and does it include Max Pass? (Or, can you add the Max Pass on?) My mom carries a military ID so I know she will be able to use a military ticket, but I'm trying to remember if the rest of us can? (I think it's just limited to those that have the ID)

3) Any other changes, updates, tips, etc. that we should be aware of? We will only do MK on this day.

Thanks!

I’m not sure about Maxpass, but for the Armed Forces Salute tickets, they’re $178 for a 3-day hopper and $198 for a 4-day hopper. You have to purchase these on base. One eligible person (in your case, your dad or mom) has to use one of the tickets, but the rest (up to six total) can be used by anyone else.

There’s also a military discount on tickets sold at the parks, but I think it’s a pretty small discount. But you’re only there for one day, so it might be worth looking into since the Armed Forces Salute tickets are 3 or 4 day tickets.

Also, militarydisneytips.com is an awesome resource for information on military discounts for Disneyland and WDW

1. Yes, you add them under “my tickets” in the app and then can make all the FP reservations. As for crowds and whether you “need” MP - you never “need” it, but it depends on what you want to do and our touring style whether it will have value for you. When you say “MK,” do you mean just Disneyland, but DCA? If you’re rope-dropping and willing to send a runner for traditional FP, you’ll probably be able to hit the big rides without it. We love Maxpass and it’s an awesome convenience, but at $15 per person, I can understand that it’s not in the budget for everyone, and that’s fine, too!

Here’s more Maxpass info to help you make your decision: https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...view-and-some-strategy.3726246/#post-60074882

I don’t know about the military stuff. Have fun, though!

There isn't a military discount on one day tickets either through base or at the gate.

If there is ANY chance you might return later in the year, buy the 3 day Armed Forces Salute tickets, because they are essentially the same as the one day park hoppers in price. The days can be used anytime until Dec 20. They don't need to be used consecutively. Your mother or father can buy these at the ticket booth, BUT can only purchase a total of 6, so if you have more than that in your party, you will have to pay full price for the other tickets.

Thanks all! This is helpful! We will have 6 people We know we are only doing 1 day/1 park this trip. But to verify - if we buy the Armed Forces Salute tickets, they don't have to be used consecutively? We could use one day this trip, and then go back in the fall and use the other 3 days? That's something to think about...

Yes, we are just doing Disneyland this trip. We are not doing DCA, and we know that we will not be there for rope-drop this time, which is part of why we are looking at the MaxPass.

That's great to read that they do not expire after 10 days. What a great deal and gives you the opportunity to return down the road. You'll definitely want to buy them on base because it is tax free.

For 2018 the base did sell a 1 day ticket for $89 (3-9) and $96 for adults. I'm not showing an updated price list for 2019.

2) My dad is a retired Marine (with ID). We are visiting Camp Pendleton before we hit the park. Can you purchase military tickets on base or do they need to be purchased at the park? What is the current rate, and does it include Max Pass? (Or, can you add the Max Pass on?) My mom carries a military ID so I know she will be able to use a military ticket, but I'm trying to remember if the rest of us can? (I think it's just limited to those that have the ID)

Thanks!

Just purchased tickets from Pendelton last week. Military Salute 3 day hopper is $175.25 and 4 day hopper is $194.75 . A regular 2 day ticket is $206.25 for an adult ticket.

And I will confirm you can use the days any time until the ticket expires 12/20/19. We have split up the salute tickets many times over 2 trips and it is great. The military member only has to be there when you use the tickets the first time. So if you come back later this year without your parents (my parents are retired military but sometimes it is just DH, my girls and me on the second trip of the year), the tickets will be valid without a military ID as long as they have been used one day with the person with ID in the past. You will have to add MP on after you scan in, as it is not included in the Salute tickets. MP includes Photopass, which might fun to get a lot of photos all over the parks with your parents and kids. MP to us is completely worth it, especially for a one day trip! It is never “not crowded” at DLR anymore by my standards. Read the MP threads to learn how to maximize it!

And I thought theme park tickets aren’t taxed in California anyway, so the tax savings may not be a reason to drive to the base if you don’t need to go there already. But if you are already going to the base, and can buy them ahead of time, it saves time standing at Guest Services/Ticket line on your park day buying them at the gate.

And I thought theme park tickets aren’t taxed in California anyway, so the tax savings may not be a reason to drive to the base if you don’t need to go there already. But if you are already going to the base, and can buy them ahead of time, it saves time standing at Guest Services/Ticket line on your park day buying them at the gate.

This is right. The price is within $1-2 between buying on base vs at the gate. If base is a distance for your parents, skip that trip and just buy them at the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter