MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

The FP returns do look much longer, but I'm not positive they are actually taking longer.

On Friday morning we were shocked when we went to use our Space Mountain FP and the line extended all the way down the ramp in addition to the whole top of the ride... but we actually made it through that FP portion of the line in less than five minutes. I suspect that it's because before, they just had to take a stack of tickets at that second spot (they didn't stop and "inspect" them like they do at the first checkpoint), but now each person has to scan their ticket. Certainly our party of three took at least three times as long to each scan vs the past where we would have handed off a stack and been done with it.

This. The fastpass return lines LOOK super long, but once you scan and head in, you end up walking the entire length of the queue and boarding quickly. I experienced this yesterday on Indy, Space, and Matterhorn. Matterhorn had a slight wait...maybe 5 min, as did Space. Indy was almost a walk on as soon as I got into the queue even though the FP line took about 5 minutes until I scanned in.

Yes to both of these. In our experience the lines to get your pass/ticket scanned were definitely longer, however moving through the line was significantly shorter. In my opinion, it ends up a wash - although I personally feel the return lines ended up shorter overall, start to finish.

That is to say that others won't experience different things as FO gets tinkered with and/or crowds go up. But I wouldn't let the long initial return line away you from using your FPs.
Agree with these. That was my experience as well. The lines appear long but once you get past the first scanner you zip right along. I think once people get used to the scanner that will clear up a bit. I also think this is why people are jumping in stand by even when they see the return time is right now. They see the FP line and assume it will take longer. It doesn't.

I'm also wondering how this all affects the few rides with FP that we'd like to use the DAS for instead --for example, TSMM. Are DAS users being sent to the same FP line?

DAS users have been using the FP line at TSMM since they started FP there. We used it earlier this month and went quickly.

This really hasn't been a good experience for us, people with fast passes from hours ago are heading to the lines at the same time. Having to stand out on the sunny walkways has just drained us. Bad form Disney. They need to make sure these kinds of changes will help the guest experience not test them on those that spent months planning and saving.
I'm really sorry you are having a rough trip but I don't think the issues you are having are due to the return times/digital FP being implemented but ride break downs. People would be coming back later in the day to use their FPs if they were still paper. Unfortunately ride breakdowns are just a part of a trip to Disneyland. We had it happen on our trip as well, seemed anything we wanted to ride was down. We took it as an opportunity to have some Mickey Bars and do some shopping.

Yes you are most likely right. I just think the bad luck combined with this horrible heat/crowding is making a rough day for us. Wife is getting sick from the heat.

I'm really sorry you are having a rough trip but I don't think the issues you are having are due to the return times/digital FP being implemented but ride break downs. People would be coming back later in the day to use their FPs if they were still paper. Unfortunately ride breakdowns are just a part of a trip to Disneyland. We had it happen on our trip as well, seemed anything we wanted to ride was down. We took it as an opportunity to have some Mickey Bars and do some shopping.
I don't disagree. However, if they are issuing FPs throughout ride outages, that really does make things worse.

Any idea how this new system is combining with rider swap? We have a trip planned with a two year old, starting July 5, and rider swap on FP rides is pretty key to our plans :)

I don't disagree. However, if they are issuing FPs throughout ride outages, that really does make things worse.
Are they doing that? I must have missed that.

Any idea how this new system is combining with rider swap? We have a trip planned with a two year old, starting July 5, and rider swap on FP rides is pretty key to our plans :)
We had no issues using rider swap. (well, we did have one but not with the pass just a CM not understanding) Same as usual, bring who's not riding up to the podium with you. At GoTG they gave us the lanyard to bring up top and that was replaced with a paper rider swap pass. At Screamin they just handed me the paper pass at the bottom which I found odd since it's the first ride I remember ever getting the lanyard.

Yes you are most likely right. I just think the bad luck combined with this horrible heat/crowding is making a rough day for us. Wife is getting sick from the heat.
Awe, I truly am sorry. It was unusually hot in CA last week. Find some shade and have a Mickey Bar. Mickey Bars always make things better. :goodvibes

My DH gets the fast passes for our family so I have a question on how it works - if our tickets are in a plastic cover on a lanyard, do we need to remove them from the plastic to get the fast pass? (I'm pretty sure it was already answered that to use the fast pass the CM could scan the ticket while it is still in the plastic.) We've never done lanyards, but these changes might make me rethink that.

My DH gets the fast passes for our family so I have a question on how it works - if our tickets are in a plastic cover on a lanyard, do we need to remove them from the plastic to get the fast pass? (I'm pretty sure it was already answered that to use the fast pass the CM could scan the ticket while it is still in the plastic.) We've never done lanyards, but these changes might make me rethink that.
To get the fastness you stick the ticket into the machine for the return they scan your ticket with a barcode scanner that's "out" if that makes sense.

This really hasn't been a good experience for us, people with fast passes from hours ago are heading to the lines at the same time. Having to stand out on the sunny walkways has just drained us. Bad form Disney. They need to make sure these kinds of changes will help the guest experience not test them on those that spent months planning and saving.

I might have missed this upthread, but are they allowing people to return outside of the return window now?

You need to take them out when getting the FP (they need to be inserted into the machine) but in the lanyard with the barcode facing out to scan. To my way of thinking this would cut down on possible loss. I can't tell you how many times younger DD dropped her AP this week.
I might have missed this upthread, but are they allowing people to return outside of the return window now?
They've always honored FPs later when there is a ride breakdown.

You need to take them out when getting the FP (they need to be inserted into the machine) but in the lanyard with the barcode facing out to scan.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize frustration for our upcoming trip. I think we can make the new system work for us, we just need to plan ahead for the changes. Maybe lanyards aren't the best for our family if we have to take the tickets in and out of the plastic each time we want to get a fast pass. I think we'll still have DH keep our tickets and get the fast passes, then hand out the tickets to all the kids when it is time to use a FP.

They've always honored FPs later when there is a ride breakdown.

I knew that they honored FPs after a ride break down, however there was a point in time where they honored FPs after the window had passed. A lot of people were able to accumulate them and then use them all at the end of the day. This was maybe 4-5 years ago, though. Wish they still did this! :)

Only if the ride breaks down during their window which the PPs have stated it has.

Yeah I figured. Guess I should have sifted through all pages before asking! lol

How hot as it been? It is usually 10-20 degrees cooler than we are. We were hitting 105-108 all week. I was expecting it to be high 80s/low 90s next week. Is it hotter??

I knew that they honored FPs after a ride break down, however there was a point in time where they honored FPs after the window had passed. A lot of people were able to accumulate them and then use them all at the end of the day. This was maybe 4-5 years ago, though. Wish they still did this! :)
I'm glad they don't. With people saving them up all day, then everyone getting in line in the evening, it really delayed the standby lines. One time, our party was at Soarin', and the line was inside the building, the FP line extended out to Taste Pilots. But with taking FP ahead of standby, it took 60 mins, for what should have been a 15 min standby point. The system was designed to be used thruout the day, and not saved up and bunched up in the evening.

How hot as it been? It is usually 10-20 degrees cooler than we are. We were hitting 105-108 all week. I was expecting it to be high 80s/low 90s next week. Is it hotter??

I'm glad they don't. With people saving them up all day, then everyone getting in line in the evening, it really delayed the standby lines. One time, our party was at Soarin', and the line was inside the building, the FP line extended out to Taste Pilots. But with taking FP ahead of standby, it took 60 mins, for what should have been a 15 min standby point. The system was designed to be used thruout the day, and not saved up and bunched up in the evening.

I'm not sure if that's something we ever experienced. We've been lucky enough that out of all the times we went, the wait time posted out front was accurate or quicker (barring ride breakdowns of course!). It was just nice when you found some FP tickets at the bottom of the bag that we forgot about and could use. Now if that happens, they just go to waste. Obviously no biggie, but would be nice to be able to use them!

I can't speak for now, but it was high 90s last week. And hit 100 one day, according to the weather app. That said, it was right after the Bay Area also got hit by record breaking heat (our hometown which usually only gets a handful of triple digit days, hit 109!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter