MAY WISH Goals - Monthly Thread

Scale is moving!! I am so excited! I have been thinking the past few days that my clothes seem to fit a bit better again and then yesterday and today I saw the scale jump down two pounds. My persistence is starting to pay off!

Thursday question:

Favorite is asparagus. Here the common one is white asparagus which is only available in spring. Already had it twice this season. Need to plan it again!

OMG, I love phit and phat! she is phenomenal! She was talking about avoiding decision and creating problems that aren't real problems. I love her message and I love her bad talk!

:).

Yesterday I did not get to the rec because of DS's soccer game. I did walk to my car from work and there was a little bit of walking from the parking lot to the field so I got something little in. I weighted myself again this morning. Yesterday was 148 and today 148.2. Up a little but nothing that I am worried about. We have not activities tonight so I will be going to the rec to get a work out in.

I love a good tasty tomatoes! I can eat them as apples. I know some say it's actually a fruit, but if it can't go in fruit salad I am not calling a fruit and that's the end of it!

I actually bring grape tomatoes with me to the movie theatre and pop them like candy!

So good morning! It's Free-for-All Friday! What book(s) are you reading now? Do you prefer paper, ebook, or audiobook? Why?

I actually bring grape tomatoes with me to the movie theatre and pop them like candy!

So good morning! It's Free-for-All Friday! What book(s) are you reading now? Do you prefer paper, ebook, or audiobook? Why?

I am not a reader at all. I really hate it. I have gotten into a few books and for many years everything I read was about the Kennedy family. But I have not read much since then. If I do read it has to be a real book. I tried reading on a Kindle but had a hard time with it.

I just finished Drive by Daniel Pink. It's a book about what motivates people -- very good. Also recently finished Carol Burnett's In Such Good Company and Dick Van Dyke's Keep Moving. Both were awesome.

I'm just starting Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande. It's a book for my newly-formed book club at work. It's about using medicine to end life well.

While I LOVE my Nook, particularly when I'm traveling, I find it doesn't keep my interest like a paper book does. Also, when my kids and husband are much more likely to interrupt me while reading the Nook than reading a paper book.

I have a 2-hour commute, and do listen to podcasts and audiobooks.

I love books. Real books. I buy them all the time, but rarely actually read them. Some are reference, like wool and knitting guides, so you don't really read them, but even with novels they tend to stack up. I started "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey about four months ago, and it's really really good, but I haven't picked it up again since first starting it. I really need to turn the TV off.

So, it appears I'm also taking a break from my FitBit. Yesterday the strap broke, fortunately while I was sitting at my desk so I didn't lose it. I popped in to the store on the way to the bus to see if we had any straps for sale and we didn't, so I ordered one on-line when I got home, but it won't be here until Monday. As far as my 100 miles goal, I guess I'll just add my average for work and weekend days.

No big plans for the weekend, just housekeeping and yard work. Maybe I'll read a book!

Reading The Inner Tradition Of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner

Waiting on amazon order of
1. Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams By: Walker, Matthew
2. The 4 Pillar Plan: How to Relax, Eat, Move and Sleep Your Way to a Longer, Healthier Life By: Chatterjee, Dr Rangan

Both came recommended. Some books I read on kindle some hard copy - depends on the book

I haven't bought many new books lately, but I recently began re-reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which I found for free on iBooks. I also began re-reading The Lord of the Rings series, starting with The Fellowship of the Ring.

I prefer paper books, but I find myself reading on my phone while I'm in bed or other times of the day when it's less convenient to hold a book.

I never really got into audiobooks, as I'm not an aural person. I always tell my wife and friends that if you want me to understand or recognize something, don't say it to me, write it to me, otherwise I'll forget it three minutes later.

I just finished Drive by Daniel Pink. It's a book about what motivates people -- very good. Also recently finished Carol Burnett's In Such Good Company and Dick Van Dyke's Keep Moving. Both were awesome.

I'm just starting Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande. It's a book for my newly-formed book club at work. It's about using medicine to end life well.

While I LOVE my Nook, particularly when I'm traveling, I find it doesn't keep my interest like a paper book does. Also, when my kids and husband are much more likely to interrupt me while reading the Nook than reading a paper book.

I have a 2-hour commute, and do listen to podcasts and audiobooks.

Even though I'm not usually an aural person, I do enjoy listening to podcasts, especially DIS Unplugged.

It has been a fairly good week so far. A nice weight loss since I went back on my tea that includes herbals for my thyroid with out much adjustment to diet and exercise. Father in law was moved to an in hospital rehab center (just a change of floors) on Wednesday after being in the ICU from Friday night till Tuesday and then 1 day in a regular room. Original prediction was 2-3 days minimum in ICU followed by 2-4 days in a regular room with no talk of rehab. Sadly nothing has been done on the basement this week between the rain and our busy schedules. Got everything printed out that 13 year old needs for the cat show tomorrow. If the ink lasts we plan to print a few photos if not those are not required so we won't be printing them. I am currently reading Russians The Crown and the Crucible by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella. I need to start planning my garden spots since I just ordered my garden tower move and grow bundle which is a garden tower 2 with a castor set to make moving it easier. The plan is to move it into the basement in the fall before we get a hard frost using boards to move it off the front deck on the N side of the house (where it will get sun most of the day but not the hot sun of the S deck area to the side of the house and down the stairs into the daily light basement where it will spend the winter months in a semi heated basement (with the vent in the ceiling closed between there and the main floor it only got down to 50 degrees even on days that we had negative temps last winter. if I have my DH open the vent it can be around 70 in the basement all winter long. Anyways I need to sit down and figure out what is getting planted in the tower and what is going in the 2 square boxes I have for this year beyond vine plants are going in the boxes. I have some vegetables and even some fruit that I want to raise this year

Favorite veggie at the moment is asparagus. I love it roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper. I eat it hot or cold. It's such a seasonal vegetable and so I'm pretty much done eating it until next spring!! Another favorite is artichoke, also very seasonal. I steam them and then I used to dip them in garlic butter but just discovered garlic gives me heartburn so will just dip it in butter from now on! DH likes it dipped in garlic mayo.

I just finished reading The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld. It's one DS2 had to read for college this term. I'm eager to talk to him about it but our paths have been crossing lately. I definitely prefer a paper book. You can peek ahead!

Well, I logged my food and it is so not pretty. Not hideous, but not good. Hence the half pound weight gain! But hey, on my old scale a half pound wouldn't have shown, except as the wrong side of a black line. So hooray for digital. I think.

This week I am going to work on upping my veggie/fruit intake. I haven't meal planned in a long time so need to get busy. The weather is good so need to work in the yard. That'll burn some calories.

Laundry is the only household chore I like. With the nice weather, I love to hang the clothes outside! DS1 got me a rack for inside so in the winter I can dry a lot indoors. Love it!!

Hi I'm Melissa. I still see (always busy and/or broken) a few familiar faces/screen names. :) I'm hoping to drop 6-8 lbs this month and get back into walking so I can build back up to 3 miles. My daughter and I have Planet Fitness memberships which will help since our weather is already horrible. She was not too keen on going on days she ran in her weight training class so I fell off we went once last week which was better than many months of not going. She has 2 1/2 weeks of school left and then she'll have less leg soreness to be my walking buddy. I'm not fond of the weight machines at PF so we are looking to switch gyms in the future possibly to LA Fitness which has a pool and hot tub too.

I'd like to bite the bullet and finally try a low carb keto like plan with some fasting since I rarely eat breakfast anyway. So I'll have to monitor my glucose levels a bit more. My a1c had crept back up to 5.8 at my lab check in Jan so I've been trying to work on that because I do not want to go back on Metformin. I will see where I'm at next month but I suspect it will not have changed much. I've gained weight throughout 2017 and so far this year and my knees really have been feeling it.

I haven't been to Disney since 2009 :( so we're way overdue. Contemplating a second job to save up because I'd really like to go in Oct.

My woohoo for the week is that I finished my last project from the old job!! It is so great to finally be rid of it (there is still some tidying up to do, but the main bulk is gone). At the end I really hated it, mainly because I just wanted to focus on new things!

:jumping1: Yeah - congratulations - I know you were looking forward to leaving that behind :-)

"We seem to have turned the corner into Spring"! No more excuses for skipping an evening walk.

How nice - for me it is the opposite - days are getting shorter, evenings are cooling down - I am thinking about trialling a gym that is a couple of minutes walk from my place to see if that helps with getting more active.

Topic Thursday! Tell us your favorite vegetable, and share your favorite ways to prepare it. Bonus points for recipes!

I am also a broccoli lover! steamed or stir-fried and I am happy.

I love real books! But sadly not reading anything for pleasure at the moment. The main reading I do is for work , journal articles and frequently referring to the 'Zones of Regulation' for programs I am currently running.

Hi I'm Melissa. I still see (always busy and/or broken) a few familiar faces/screen names.

Hello! Welcome back hope all is going well for you :-)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It is a long weekend here but the weather is not all that nice - it is cool, cloudy and breezy with a storm forecast. I bought myself some new scales on Saturday - some Bluetooth ones that link with my phone and health apps - I am going to do a belated woohoo because honestly I was scared that I had put on weight over the last several months but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have maintained. So that is good news - so now I just want to re-focus on losing.

I have been spending some time reading and exploring the DASH eating guidelines- as I know my blood pressure is sitting higher than it should, blood sugar is creeping up, energy is low etc. not to mention that the recent shopping trips have demonstrated the severely limited cute/stylish clothing choices there are in Australian shops for larger sizes - I didn't say diet because I know that I have to over-hall my eating long-term. Over the past few years I have visited a range of health professionals including dieticians - I have gotten some good advice but I find them telling me to just add more 'healthy' stuff does not really work for me - I feel like I need a good plan - and fumbling around trying to make that plan on focus on eating more yoghurt (or whichever food) this week has not really done it for me. I am still feeling a little overwhelmed - but am going to spend some more time today tweaking some weekly meal plans and get started.

I have been doing some self-reflecting and whilst I don't want to be too hard on myself I feel that I give myself to much of an easy out and I need to try and have some higher expectations in relation to my health. I was watching something on tv this morning and they were discussing how people deal with stress - drinking, smoking, eating etc. and well I definitely identified finally as using food to deal with it.

So I think finally my goal for the month will be to stick to my eating plan - 85% of the time - because it would be unrealistic to expect 100% straight away but will be trying to get as close to it as possible.

Good morning, and Happy Monday!! It was a busy weekend for me, with DD coming home from college. I think I used that as an excuse to overeat and undermove. But I'm back to the fitness center this morning, and back on plan for my food!

So it's Motivation Monday! Post something about what motivates you. This can be a picture, meme, quote, or something personal.

So this is my motivation this morning. I've mentioned that I listen to Phit-n-Phat podcast, and this week she talked about the 4-circle method of planning, where you figure out where you want to be in a year, and then plan it out as to what you need to do in a month, week, and today to get to your goal. The one below is an example to show how it's done.

31531314_2011153562260133_303377656357847040_n.png

The scale didn't move as much as I would like it to have this week, but I feel like I'm still making progress. (Down about 1lb from last week.) I think it's largely that I've been trying to do more exercise, so it's possible I've put on some muscle in the past week which is offsetting the fat loss. My legs are still aching today after a 2 mile walk I took on Saturday. I really need to build up my endurance! Still, the fact I was able to walk that distance on my first try is pretty amazing to me.

I just need to get over my self-confidence issues with walking in public. Or invest in a treadmill.

That's a good thought for a Monday.... begin.

A lovely weekend weather wise, so nice that I finally got the knee-high grass in the back yard cut down with the weed whacker. The house got warm for the first time, a tad bit too warm actually. Last night was my first restless night since I stopped taking the herbal sleep-aid, and I think some of it had to do with being too warm: I woke up at 1am and didn't get back to sleep until almost 4am... and I get up for wok at 5:30am, so that was pretty rough. We'll see how to day goes.

My replacement FitBit band came mid-day Saturday, but it really didn't help me get my steps in... Saturday was close to goal, if I add what I think I got in before the band came. But Sunday was low, so I need to get my act together before I get too far behind for the month. I haven't lost any weight either. Yes, just BEGIN!

My replacement FitBit band came mid-day Saturday, but it really didn't help me get my steps in... Saturday was close to goal, if I add what I think I got in before the band came. But Sunday was low, so I need to get my act together before I get too far behind for the month. I haven't lost any weight either. Yes, just BEGIN!

Love it! I also had trouble getting my steps and activity in over the weekend. I really need to change my mindset -- part of it was DD being home from college, but I need to move in spite of not really feeling like it.

Nothing fancy to contribute to motivation. Tonight a girlfriend called to go for a walk. She reminded me that for her 10 slow minutes was quite long/fast enough. So mostly our evening was just a nice visit catching up on what the kids/hubbies are doing. She also told me that a couple months ago she sat down and really thought about some things in her life that were stressing her out and making her unhappy. She came up with a list of about 10 things to do daily that will help. I think one was a load of laundry a day! Another (and the reason for the call) was to reach out to people/make a connection. She doesn't succeed every day with her list, but she's a work in progress. I'm feeling like we all are like that. Taking a moment to figure out what we can do to be happier/healthier and then beginning. We may not succeed every day, but we're moving forward! Keep up the good work, DISers!!

Good morning! It's Topic Tuesday! How do you imagine your life will change once your reach your goal weight (or get nearer to it anyhow)? Will you be more confident? More outgoing? More athletic? More energetic? Or still just the same you, but thinner?

How do you imagine your life will change once your reach your goal weight (or get nearer to it anyhow)? Will you be more confident? More outgoing? More athletic? More energetic? Or still just the same you, but thinner?

I'd have to say more energetic and also more athletic, as I'll be able to do things that are currently hampered by my weight. And proud of myself for accomplishing what I set out to do. And thrilled to be wearing cute clothing! It all sounds pretty amazing... so why am I not doing it? This is the BIG question, and needs to be figured out.

My word-of-the-month for May is: visibility. There have been a number of shifts recently that are forcing me to stop hiding and become visible. Most notably is at work, where I've been given a large highly visible cross-functional project to work on, that will require me to speak up and speak out outside of my immediate circle. Even cutting my hair off was a form of visibility, as there's now nothing to hide behind. I know I carry the extra weight as a shield, a layer of protection that I use to make myself insulated and invisible, so that has to go as well.

upload_2018-5-8_7-43-54.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!