Maybe it's just me...

revdon64

DIS Veteran
But since a less than stellar trip this year and watching all the upcharges, add-ons, hard ticket events, and especially price increases and gouges, I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with Disney right about now. We're planning another trip probably in late 2020, but the shine is gone. Like I said in the thread title, maybe it's just me (and my DW) that're feeling this way. I guess the thing that bothers me most is that Disney doesn't seem to care about disenfranchising their long-time, loyal fans/guests. They just seem happy to take our money and offer us less and less value for it each time we come back. Won't be long before that money train runs out I suppose. Like I said, maybe it's just me...

One way to look at it is look at all these upcharges and add on's. Disney is nickle and diming its customers to death! Or look at it as wow! Disney is offering all these cool add ons so we can get some party time, early access etc. It's all perspective. The best part is we still have the option to not purchase the "Extras" if we don't want to.

One way to look at it is look at all these upcharges and add on's. Disney is nickle and diming its customers to death! Or look at it as wow! Disney is offering all these cool add ons so we can get some party time, early access etc. It's all perspective. The best part is we still have the option to not purchase the "Extras" if we don't want to.

Oh great, I thought the new parking fees were mandatory not optional :)

Last edited:

Doesn't bother me because it doesn't affect me. I don't pay for the upcharges, add ons, or stay on site. However I don't feel like prices have gone up that much and I don't think they price gouge. Disney is just as expensive as Universal and right on par as far as ticket prices and in park food/merchandise

The add ons are great additions for those with extra money to spend and want to do more. Some of them allow people to do more with a short trip than they could on their own.

Oh great, I thought the new parking fees were mandatory not optional
The parking fee isn't an extra. It's a fee. And exactly where was the parking fee mentioned? I guess I read right over it. Thanks for pointing that out.

...and, so which way do you look at it?

Dan

I understand your frustrations. It almost feels like how the airlines are now. Remember back when we used to get free meals, checked baggage, more legroom in economy, etc. Now almost everything in economy is a fee or upcharge which used to be part of the original economy price. Unfortunately, most of the profit is probably made with these Dessert Parties, Early Morning Magic, and Disney After Hours similar to the airlines baggage fees so they will probably be around for a long time.

Our family does WDW very "bare bones" when we go and there still are ways to circumvent these additional add on experiences and still have a great time. I did notice on our last trip that I didn't have that I gotta go back soon and book another trip feeling once the vacation was over like I did in 2015. Either we accomplished everything we wanted to see or maybe the constant price increases has made me want to spend vacation money elsewhere.

But since a less than stellar trip this year and watching all the upcharges, add-ons, hard ticket events, and especially price increases and gouges, I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with Disney right about now. We're planning another trip probably in late 2020, but the shine is gone. Like I said in the thread title, maybe it's just me (and my DW) that're feeling this way. I guess the thing that bothers me most is that Disney doesn't seem to care about disenfranchising their long-time, loyal fans/guests. They just seem happy to take our money and offer us less and less value for it each time we come back. Won't be long before that money train runs out I suppose. Like I said, maybe it's just me...

I understand your disappointment and frustration, and you have every right to feel that way and express it.

I have been to WDW twice (both in 2017), and had one fantastic trip and one disappointing trip. Obviously it didn’t spoil me to Disney because I’m still here (and would go again if money were no issue), but I am definitely not in the “Disney can do no wrong” camp.

I will say that my sour feelings have lessened over time, and that the bad things about the last trip have faded much more than the good things, and I’m glad for that.

The parking fee isn't an extra. It's a fee. And exactly where was the parking fee mentioned? I guess I read right over it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Well to be fair, it's the parking fees that feel like the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.
Well, I upgraded to Atrium Club Level, I purchased MNSSHP tickets, I am purchasing the Theme Park Extra package at 90 days out, I'm booking a night at the new kids club at the Contemporary for the kids one night, We are doing 2 dessert parties. Take a wild guess ;)
Didn't the kids clubs at deluxe resorts used to be complimentary to resort guests? So they took them away and added a pay event. Didn't there used to be just a handful of MNSSHP and MVMCP? Now there are as many as 4 a week with Halloween starting in mid-August and Christmas the first week of November. And didn't they used to be limited ticket events? Now they're mid-summer crowded. Maybe it's not all a money grab, but Disney certainly hasn't done or said anything to make a lot of people think otherwise.

3 new lands in 3 years seems like value to me.
Making up for lost time when they should have been doing something other than sitting on their laurels? And how do you measure the value of new lands not opened yet? For that matter, how do you measure the value of new lands when so many of the older attractions are running at reduced capacity because of staffing cuts? Especially when the result of the reduced capacity (longer waits and the appearance of bigger crowds) seems to be being used as an excuse to create all these upcharges and add-on special events? Again, maybe it's just me but when you artificially create a bigger demand and then create an extra charge way to circumvent the artificially created demand, I can't help but feel that that's just sneaky and manipulative. And those are two words I never thought I'd associate with Disney.

Well to be fair, it's the parking fees that feel like the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

Didn't the kids clubs at deluxe resorts used to be complimentary to resort guests? So they took them away and added a pay event. Didn't there used to be just a handful of MNSSHP and MVMCP? Now there are as many as 4 a week with Halloween starting in mid-August and Christmas the first week of November. And didn't they used to be limited ticket events? Now they're mid-summer crowded. Maybe it's not all a money grab, but Disney certainly hasn't done or said anything to make a lot of people think otherwise.

Not sure on the kids clubs being free. The parties are still limited but yes they can get crowded. The good news is I’m not being forced to buy any upgrades. I’m choosing to buy them. Gotta love America!

I dont know anything about kids clubs being free?? When was THAT?

We travel frequently during Party season. Sometimes we attend a party - other times we don’t. I don’t really understand how anyone considers the party to be a ‘negative’? First - crowd levels on party days during the day are fantastically low - by far my favorite time to visit MK! Second - there are nighttime shows in all other parks right now!! So it’s not like MK is the only game in town! Third - on years when I do attend a party - I really like multiple choices of when to attend - it helps with my planning and keeps crowds more spread out!

I dont know anything about kids clubs being free?? When was THAT?

We travel frequently during Party season. Sometimes we attend a party - other times we don’t. I don’t really understand how anyone considers the party to be a ‘negative’? First - crowd levels on party days during the day are fantastically low - by far my favorite time to visit MK! Second - there are nighttime shows in all other parks right now!! So it’s not like MK is the only game in town! Third - on years when I do attend a party - I really like multiple choices of when to attend - it helps with my planning and keeps crowds more spread out!

But don't you agree that it's a little ridiculous to have Halloween Parties in the middle of August?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter