Maybe it's just me...

I've just read it so much on this board that anyone can go to Disney and it's just not true.

Of course not everyone will be able to go to WDW, or any vacation. That is the reality of life. No one said life was fair. People used to know this but for some reason now people expect to be able to do whatever they want. Maybe it is the invention of social media where you can see what everyone is doing. I think people where much happier with their lives when they just paid attention to what they were doing and not what everyone else is doing. The big green monster pops up when you see others having fun.

To be honest, I come home after every trip feeling worn out (and usually sick or injured.lol) and saying that was my last trip! :crutches:Twice I came home sick: once with pneumonia. My last trip I fell and injured my knee in the dark during MNSSHP...that was 3 years ago and my knee still ain't right. So yeah, it's taken me a while to get over that trip. lol I certainly don't feel nickel and dimed though and I don't hold back on the trips. I was a DVC member for several years too. I'm almost 60yo and I just get to missing it after a while and ready to go back. I liken it to childbirth, ya forget the pain with time!

I'll admit, the parking fees are a pretty big gouge to those who drive. Sometimes we drive but mostly fly. That will have to be figured in from now on when I'm deciding to either drive or fly. I don't usually do the fireworks parties just because my granddaughters usually like to do rides while everyone is watching fireworks. If a MNSSHP is going on during my trip we usually go, but I felt the last one we attended was wayyyy too crowded. They used to not sell that many tickets. I'm over the parties. I wouldn't spend the extra to stay late either. I'd rather spend that money on a deluxe resort. Plus, we usually ride everything we want during regular hours.

So, I understand where you're coming from. Take a break from Disney for a year or two and see how ya feel.

Of course not everyone will be able to go to WDW, or any vacation. That is the reality of life. No one said life was fair. People used to know this but for some reason now people expect to be able to do whatever they want. Maybe it is the invention of social media where you can see what everyone is doing. I think people where much happier with their lives when they just paid attention to what they were doing and not what everyone else is doing. The big green monster pops up when you see others having fun.

Like having Halloween parties in the middle of August? I'm sure Disney was greeted with requests of having them earlier and it just wasn't a random idea.

To be honest, I come home after every trip feeling worn out (and usually sick or injured.lol) and saying that was my last trip! :crutches:...

I as ADAMANT that I was trying something new this year and that never happened! I am saying this year will by my last for a few and we'll see how it goes. (without the generous tax return of a graduate student I may have little choice in the matter)

I don't think the spots they charge for are the best spots. Also, park hours during the fall have always been shorter than during the summer. Those hours were never included. The only park that used to have fireworks on a nightly basis was Epcot. The other parks all closed and everyone flooded Epcot. Granted that was over 20 years ago, but it is still true.
Okay? You'll notice that I put "best" in quotes as of course it's subjective. On party nights the MK closes to day guests earlier than on non-party nights, period. That old argument you use feels like splitting hairs to me. Plus, from 4 - 6 or 7 it is massively crowded due to the parites, which is a major issue for those who have to leave at 7. So respectfully, I disagree with you.

Disney "magic" is comprised of essentially 2 things: excellent customer service, and nostalgia. As customer service globally is in a downslide, it would serve them well in the long run to work to keep the guests that feel that nostalgia. Without that magic, it's just another park and will lose that which makes it stand out. And if people feel like that magic - that Disney consciously created and plays on - is disappearing, real or not, of course they mourn a little.

Like having Halloween parties in the middle of August? I'm sure Disney was greeted with requests of having them earlier and it just wasn't a random idea.

Honestly, I really don't see something like a Halloween party compared to my statement about having whatever you want. Just because they decided to offer the party a few weeks earlier then they had been does not mean that people are demanding to get whatever they want.

Actually, the Disney corporation has struggled at times.

2008/2009 were particularly brutal. Disney did not "perform well", and didn't really rebound until 2014.

That's very recent memory.
All the economies in the world basically were struggling in those years. For the most part Disney as a company has done very well, and they came through those years just fine

OP, I feel the same way and after a disappointing trip we took a several year break. DH and I went back last August, but just for a 3 night stay with two park days after a cruise because he wanted to see Pandora. It worked out great and that's probably the way we'll do it until we have grandchildren. We've found we can travel to other locations for less than a week at Disney.

Honestly, I really don't see something like a Halloween party compared to my statement about having whatever you want. Just because they decided to offer the party a few weeks earlier then they had been does not mean that people are demanding to get whatever they want.

Here's the thing. Disney offered these events during a reasonable "seasonal" period. As the Disney entitlement runs rampant, the Disney execs are seeing the green on the other end of it.

Here's the thing. Disney offered these events during a reasonable "seasonal" period. As the Disney entitlement runs rampant, the Disney execs are seeing the green on the other end of it.

I think it is more simple supply and demand. If people want to go to these parties and are willing to pay for it, what is the big deal. It's like a Christmas in July sale, annoying but harmless.

Each persons tolerance to a perceived erosion in the value of dollars spent at Disney is different, hence the reason you'll never get an unanimous opinion. We were DVC members and enjoyed the heck out of all our trips, and I'll never regret spending the money we did. Lots of great memories and we got out when we felt there was better value in other vacations.

That said, my perception of the value I was spending on a Disney vacation was eroded by the implementation of FP+. Sorry, I just didn't like the system and to this day I still don't. That was my tipping point, but there were other things Disney did that bugged me like the reduction in summer hours as well as the reduction in EMH. Those two negatively effected my perceived value of the dollars I was giving Disney.

it’s not harmless when people are paying full price for a ticket and only getting partial hours. And I’m sorry, a Halloween party in August is ridiculous

Well as others have said, historically, the parks used to close early during the "slow" times anyway even without a party. But those people still paid full price.

No one requires you to go to a certain park that has limited hours because of a hard ticket event. Now if there was only one park, I can see the argument. Same with the current state of HS.

Each persons tolerance to a perceived erosion in the value of dollars spent at Disney is different, hence the reason you'll never get an unanimous opinion. We were DVC members and enjoyed the heck out of all our trips, and I'll never regret spending the money we did. Lots of great memories and we got out when we felt there was better value in other vacations.

That said, my perception of the value I was spending on a Disney vacation was eroded by the implementation of FP+. Sorry, I just didn't like the system and to this day I still don't. That was my tipping point, but there were other things Disney did that bugged me like the reduction in summer hours as well as the reduction in EMH. Those two negatively effected my perceived value of the dollars I was giving Disney.

I can see how some people, especially locals do not like FP+. But as someone who has to travel some distance and needs to plan my vacation months in advance, I like the FP+. With the way I like to tour, sleep in and get to the parks later, I am now able to get a fastpass for those rides that were "sold out" by the time I got to the park like TSMM and Soarin. So I think it benefits those who have to travel but makes it harder for those who want a last minute trip. But to be fair, locals are able to go much more often then the once a year crowd that has to travel. It is a trade off.

Did they close at 6:00?

MK does not close at 6 now. It closes at 7 and yes we have been there during slow times with no party where the park closed at either 7 or 8. We have also been there when the park closed at 4pm for a private party. No refunds where given then. It is one of those tough tamales situations.

MK does not close at 6 now. It closes at 7 and yes we have been there during slow times with no party where the park closed at either 7 or 8. We have also been there when the park closed at 4pm for a private party. No refunds where given then. It is one of those tough tamales situations.

For certain Christmas parties they did close at 6.

Reactions: Iya

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter