• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mazzy - have you seen this!

Janice

Super Shopper
Hi Mazzy - I dont know if you have seen this article - but I was just searching form something else and came across this info for Guests with Hearing Disabilities. If you already knew about this - sorry for repeating! :)

"
18 March 2002: Breakthrough Wireless Service Puts Captions in the Hands of Guests With Hearing Disabilities at Walt Disney World Resort

Enhancing its services for guests with hearing disabilities, the Walt Disney World Resort has developed a pioneering program to provide synchronized captions via wireless technology at popular theme park attractions.
Long recognized as the industry leader for its commitment to accommodating guests with disabilities, the Walt Disney World Resort debuted the free system on Dec. 5, 2001 -- the 100th anniversary of Walt Disney's birth -- at "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream," a new attraction at the Disney-MGM Studios.

The breakthrough service was created by Disney engineers in Florida to exceed the expectations of guests with hearing disabilities by utilizing recent advances in wireless communication. Using a handheld receiver, Walt Disney World Resort guests are now able to read captions while enjoying theme park attractions where captioning had previously been impractical or impossible, such as rides that send guests through multiple show scenes or outdoor environments.

Wireless signals throughout participating attractions automatically trigger synchronized captions on the handheld device in real time, an innovation that allows guests with hearing disabilities to more fully experience the magic of the Walt Disney World Resort. Portable captioning will be available at more than 20 Walt Disney World attractions by the end of 2001 with expansion planned at the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort.

"Our challenge was finding a way to deliver captions in narrative attractions where fixed captioning systems weren't an option," said Greg Hale, vice president of Design and Engineering for the Walt Disney World Resort. "When we couldn't find an 'off-the-shelf' solution, we developed our own technology.

"We are now exploring opportunities to make this technology available in venues outside of theme parks, where it could provide synchronized captioning, audio translations and other services in a wide variety of applications such as museums, movie theaters, tours and transportation."

The handheld captioning system joins several existing services for guests with hearing disabilities at the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, including reflective captioning, American Sign Language interpreters, assistive listening systems, video captioning and printed attraction aids. The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities offers a complete overview of the services and facilities available at each park.

"With our handheld captioning program, Disney has once again shown its commitment to provide an outstanding experience for our guests with disabilities," said Al Weiss, president of the Walt Disney World Resort. "The program perfectly illustrates our willingness to meet challenges with creative, innovative solutions for exceptional guest service."

:D :D

well speaking for myself, I heard about this, great news isnt it, all we need now is interpreteurs in BSL as well as ASL and WDW will be the tops!!!.

Jules

Hi Janice :wave:

Yes I did know about this new system, but thanks for thinking of me and posting it! :D

I am really looking forward to using this in December, it will be brilliant to 'hear' the attractions as well as see them - I'm sure it will open my eyes to what I've been missing!

If anyone reading this would like to know which attractions are currently covered by this system, let me know, and I'll post the list I have. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter