Meeting characters when non verbal

Whatever training the CM's recieve is so good that it nearly makes them psychic. My son doesn't really pass as neurotypical, but is very high functioning and verbal (he has minor articulation issues, much improved as an adult), and those Disney people pretty much never miss it. They are very, very good interacting with him, and asking us if there's anything we need.

Just found this thread today! We are going in less than 1 week with our 4.5 yo foster daughter. She isn't necessarily " non verbal" but she dies have a speech disorder as well as a delay. Now, lol, she doesn't really recognize this, as she will go on and on as we ( and others) just look at her and try to even decipher what she is saying, but she does get frustrated when we , sadly, sometimes just can't interpret it! Should we help "translate" for the characters? Should we say " this is N and she just loves you, she sometimes has a hard time saying what she wants too!" Or should we just sit back and let the characters do their magic? ( I do realize this will be a bigger deal for "face" characters who can speak back to her) thanks!!

Our DD was just a tad older on her first visit, but she also had speech delays and articulation challenges, etc. I don't recall that I exactly lead the conversation, but I often "interpreted" for her at that age -- she would speak and I would sort of parrot it back. Much of the character interaction doesn't have to involve words anyway. Or maybe she was just more attracted the the fur characters, as she wasn't much into princesses at that time. I wouldn't worry about it -- it will come natural to you if she needs help.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just found this thread today! We are going in less than 1 week with our 4.5 yo foster daughter. She isn't necessarily " non verbal" but she dies have a speech disorder as well as a delay. Now, lol, she doesn't really recognize this, as she will go on and on as we ( and others) just look at her and try to even decipher what she is saying, but she does get frustrated when we , sadly, sometimes just can't interpret it! Should we help "translate" for the characters? Should we say " this is N and she just loves you, she sometimes has a hard time saying what she wants too!" Or should we just sit back and let the characters do their magic? ( I do realize this will be a bigger deal for "face" characters who can speak back to her) thanks!!

Replied on here to the OP - but just wanted to say as I'm going in Jan and my son who is still Non-verbal will be 4 and 3 months and I am not worried at all (based on our experience last year).

Just talk to the CM with the character or the character themselves and they will be absolutely fantastic and she will totally love every minute of it.

I would say I hope you all have a fantastic holiday; but I'm going to take out hope and say I know you're all going to have a fab holiday, enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter