Meeting the characters

brownhaired_girl

DIS Veteran
I have a friend coming with us in the spring. Her kids will be interested in some of the character interactions. I’m very open to ideas and interested hearing about people’s best character interactions.

I think the people coming should decide which characters they want to meet.
Obviously there's better communication with face characters, but I love meeting the fab 5 and chip and dale

Remember meals are your friend. You can do a ton of characters while eating which you have to do anyways. My 2 favorite interactions were with my daughter. At 5 we met Mulan's dragon in Epcot China. Gwen told him she did not have a house dragon. Well he took her hand waved goodbye to his handler and starting walking away with her until his handler reminded him that Mulan would miss him. The 2nd was at 1900 Park Fare when she was 7. The stepsisters found out that I was a single father. They then had a fight standing on either side of my daughter. The fight was who was going to marry me and what school would they send her off to. She is 18 now and still remembers both.

Remember meals are your friend. You can do a ton of characters while eating which you have to do anyways. My 2 favorite interactions were with my daughter. At 5 we met Mulan's dragon in Epcot China. Gwen told him she did not have a house dragon. Well he took her hand waved goodbye to his handler and starting walking away with her until his handler reminded him that Mulan would miss him. The 2nd was at 1900 Park Fare when she was 7. The stepsisters found out that I was a single father. They then had a fight standing on either side of my daughter. The fight was who was going to marry me and what school would they send her off to. She is 18 now and still remembers both.

We did 1700 Park Fare a number of years ago when one of the girls in our group requested to meet Prince Charming. Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters were hilarious

I would say favorite past experiences were characters we met in the park and not in the restaurants. We use to do a lot of character dining as a way to get them done, but they are circling to a large group of people and the interaction isn't always very personalized. My daughter has had some wonderful interaction with Goofy, Chip and Dale, Mickey and Donald all in the parks. My daughter dressed as Daisy once for MNSSHP and we stopped in to visit Donald. He recognized her costume as Daisy and he tried to run away with her. On her very first trip I have pictures of Goofy taking her by the hand and twirling her around. I think the more spontaneous interactions are more memorable and we have never gotten those at a character dining.

On our first trip, I knew absolutely NOTHING. My most special memory is Baloo dancing in the street with my daughter. Sometimes I wonder if all the planning I do removes the spontaneity. Sometimes I forget to check out the roses.

On our first trip, I knew absolutely NOTHING. My most special memory is Baloo dancing in the street with my daughter. Sometimes I wonder if all the planning I do removes the spontaneity. Sometimes I forget to check out the roses.

Does anyone really know anything for their first trip? Isn't the best part of the first trip the utter cluelessness?

That being said, my favorite interactions this past trip were Chip and Dale at Garden Grill. As far as interacting with my 20 month old was concerned.

My favorite M&G was Chewbacca

We never really wait in line to meet characters. We usually do character meals.

Our favorites are 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey's for character interaction!

During our trip in 2016, we had breakfast at Garden Grill. I have to say all the interactions (Mickey, Pluto, and Chip & Dale) were excellent there.

We just got back 2 weeks ago from a trip and did not do any character dining this time round but still had some really incredible character interactions.

Joy & Sadness at Epcot were absolute great and a ton of fun!

Pluto at Hollywood Studios was also great. He started "wagging" his tail and begging for a treat. Very funny!

Best one by far though was Adventurer's Outpost with Mickey & Minnie in Animal Kingdom. While waiting online, my son (7) wrote them a note in his autograph book. I didn't think it would really effect anything. Well he told them about the note when he handed them the book and they both read it and absolutely loved that he did that. So many hugs (Minnie was really squeezing him!). Minnie even wrote him a note back!!! Was truly a magical experience!
IMG_2126 copy.JPG AK_ADVOUTPOSTB1CHARACTER_20181204_414818700059 copy.jpg AK_ADVOUTPOSTB1CHARACTER_20181204_414818700061 copy.jpg

I woudl ask waht characters are their favorites, however if yu want to knwo my impressioions of our character interactions this week I will be happy to share.

H&V Minnie's Seasonal Dine: Food was good, service excellent. Character interaction pretty okay. They are stinkin cute, and took a good deal of time it's this old gal, indulging that I am a character junkie. Santa Googy was hysterical with my DH, whi is as tall as he is.

Garden Grill: This was a favorite. The breakfast food was delicious, service outstanding and character interaction was excellent. Again, lots of fun witht them all.

Storybook Dining in AP: perfection. Grumpy and Snow are a lot of fun, and Dopey was so darn sweet.

My other suggestions, depending on what their interests are: 1900 PF, either meal, althought the dinner interaction is better in my opinion.

Chef Mickey has the classics, and is a favorite of ours for characters,

'Ohana with Lilo and Stitch

We got back this weekend from our first ever trip. We did no character meals, and no princesses/face characters.

The cast members that portray the characters are insanely amazing. It was the most memorable part of the trip for us.

Over the course of 5 park days, our daughter did meets with:

Donald Duck 6 times
Scrooge 2 times
Daisy once
Mickey 3 times
Minnie once
Goofy 3 times
Chip & Dale once

I'd definitely try to see which the favorite characters are and make that a priority. Donald was outstanding. The interaction between our group with Donald and Scrooge was priceless.

We did zero autographs and focused entirely on interaction.

My biggest suggestion? Make sure the kids have something interactive. The characters really play off of those props. My daughter's favorite moments were when she wore her Donald hat to meet the other characters. They all made a fuss over it. Chip and Dale wanted to steal her money pouch to go into the confectionery for food. It was these moments that extended the interactions and made them more memorable.

If you’re looking for dancing in the streets with characters, the Country Bears are THE BEST!!! So funny and never a crowd to see them.

Joy and Sadness in Epcot were AWESOME! I've never wanted to hug a character as much as I wanted to hug Sadness, and they spent so much time taking pictures with my 3yo!

We just came back a few weeks ago and we only did one character meal (chef Mickey’s). All other meet and greets were in the parks and were amazing! The interaction was so much more adorable in my opinion. Bonus is no one else is in the pictures during park meet and greets where there’s Photopass, while at restaurants I always get random families in the pic

I want to thank everyone who has posted suggestions. We do have the Tusker House breakfast scheduled. My friend is a single mother and I am trying to be respectful of keeping costs in check as best I can.

I recommend using Kenny the Pirate's Character Locator if you're wanting characters. It costs like $10 for a year long subscription. I know that's not ideal, but I would say that the interaction tips, the accurate schedules (posted a week beforehand), the full character lists, and the locations have made it well worthwhile for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter