Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

198px-Maurice_Chevalier_1959.JPG

French entertainer Maurice Chevalier (1888-1972) started his career at age 12 to help support his family, first as an acrobat and then as a singer and dancer. He performed in the Folies Bergere and silent French films. In World War I, he served in the French army, spending two years in a German prisoner-of-war camp, where he learned English from another prisoner. After the war, he returned to French music halls.

Starting in the 1920s, Chevalier starred in Hollywood and French pictures. In World War II, he performed in occupied France and even performed at the same POW camp he had been held in in WWI. He was accused of being a collaborator but was acquitted by a French court. Nevertheless, he still had visa problems and did not perform again in Hollywood pictures until the 1950s. He received a 1958 special Oscar for contributions to entertainment.

For Disney, he appeared in In Seach of the Castaways and Monkeys, Go Home! His last performance, for which he came out of retirement, was to sing the title song of The Aristocats. But for Disney-philes, he is well-known in another capacity. According to the Disney Wiki: "Years after his death, he was the inspiration for Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast. Lumiere's personality reflected the suave ladies' man Chevalier was famous for playing in his early career, and his facial features, voice and singing style were all based on him, including Chevalier's trademark 'Aw-haw-haw' laugh."

In researching Chevalier, I discovered he was a Member of the Grand Order of the Water Rats. Yes, that is real group -- an exclusive entertainment fraternity and charitable group based in London.

Team, what a great month! 111% and I'll be back on Monday to count any remaining minutes.

Just a quick rundown of the actors I didn't get a chance to feature, since I ran out of month:

Tim Conway (born 1933, Disney Legend 2004): The World's Greatest Athlete, The Shaggy D.A., Gus, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
Don Knotts (1924-2006): Hot Lead and Cold Feet, Gus, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, No Deposit, No Return, Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
James MacArthur (1937-2010): The Light in the Forest, Kidnapped, Swiss Family Robinson, Third Man on the Mountain [best known for Hawaii Five-0]
Roddy McDowall (1928-1998): The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin, That Darn Cat!, The Cat From Outer Space, Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Eddie Murphy (born 1961): The Distinguished Gentleman, Metro, Holy Man, The Haunted Mansion, and voiced Mushu in Mulan
Fess Parker (1924-2010, Disney Legend 1991): The Great Locomotive Chase, Westward Ho the Wagons!, Old Yeller, The Light in the Forest, and of course, he was Davy Crockett!
Robin Williams (1951-2014, Disney Legend 2009): Popeye, Good Morning, Vietnam, Flubber, Jack, Bicentennial Man, and voiced Genie in Aladdin
Jane Wyman (1917-2007): Bon Voyage!, Pollyanna [best known for Falcon Crest]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter