Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

186px-Kurt_Russell_1974.JPG

Kurt Russell (born 1951) is best known for his action films such as Escape from New York, The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China. But when Russell was just a teenager, Walt Disney put him under a 10-year contract, and he became Disney's top star of the 1970s. He likely is the actor who has appeared in the most Disney-connected live-action movies (9 in the 1960s and 1970s, and 5 more later in his career, plus a voice role). Here's the list:

Follow Me, Boys! (1966)
The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit (1968)
The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968)
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969)
The Barefoot Executive (1971)
Now You See Him, Now You Don't (1972)
Charley and the Angel (1973)
Superdad (1973)
The Strongest Man in the World (1975)
The Fox and the Hound (1981) [voice of adult Copper]
Captain Ron (1992)
Tombstone (1993)
Miracle (2004)
Sky High (2005)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

In addition to acting, Russell played minor league baseball in the early 1970s but suffered a rotator-cuff injury that ended his playing days. He also is a FAA-licensed private pilot.

Russell was named a Disney Legend in 1998.

So this month has been rough. I am re-evaluating my minutes this month and I think I will drop down to 930 minutes. This week will be a rough week as we have something going every night but next week the kids will be at my in-laws for the week so I should be able to get my steps in. I still think 930 will be a challenge but I don't want to bring the whole team down with staying at 1395.

So for this weekend I am adding 47 minutes (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

325/930

Nancy_Olson_in_Union_Station_trailer.JPG

Nancy Olson (born 1928) is best known for appearing in Sunset Boulevard (which gained her an Oscar nomination), but her Disney credits include Pollyanna, The Absent-Minded Professor, Son of Flubber, Snowball Express, and an uncredited cameo in Flubber (1997). She later appeared on Broadway and on television. She has been retired since the 1980s but occasionally makes a brief appearance, such as in Flubber and in Dumbbells (2014).

There's an interesting interview with Olson on the Walt Disney Family Museum website here.

I made the change. Just do the best you can. The challenge is supposed to be motivating, not depressing!

It is very motivating being in this group. Last month even though it started off rough it got much better towards the end. It was just a realization that I was not going to come close to hitting my goal with all the craziness that has happened this month.

It's Two-fer Tuesday! Meaning, I have so many actors left that this Tuesday and next, you're getting two!

Today we have a popular pair matched up in The Ugly Dachsund, Blackbeard's Ghost, and The Shaggy D.A. --
Dean Jones and Suzanne Pleshette.

Dean_Jones_1966.JPG

Dean Jones (1931-2015) was in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. He thought he would act until he got his break singing. His first scene in a credited role was with James Cagney in These Wilder Years. He recalled Cagney coming in and saying, "Walk to your mark and remember your lines." Jones took the advice to heart, adding, "That’s all I’ve been doing for fifty years."

He was in the TV show Ensign O'Toole, which brought him to Walt's attention as it aired immediately before The Wonderful World of Disney. Jones then starred in ten Disney films. In addition to the three listed above, they were That Darn Cat!, Monkeys, Go Home!, The Love Bug, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Million Dollar Duck, Snowball Express, and Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. In the 1990s, he appeared in a film remake of That Darn Cat and TV remakes of The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and The Love Bug. He was named a Disney legend in 1995.

Jones became a devout born-again Christian in the mid 1970s. He founded the Christian Rescue Fund to help persecuted Jews and Christians around the world.

He died from Parkinson's disease.

187px-Suzanne_Pleshette_-_1969.jpg

Suzanne Pleshette (1937-2008) is probably best known as Bob Newhart's wife Emily Hartley on The Bob Newhart Show of the 1970s and for Hitchcock's The Birds. In addition to the three films with Dean Jones listed above, for Disney Pleshette also appeared in The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin (1967) and did voice work in Lion King II: Simba's Pride and Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away.

Pleshette came to Walt's attention by co-starring with Tony Curtis in 40 Pounds of Trouble, a remake of Little Miss Marker. That Universal film actually included extended location shooting at Disneyland. (It was the only non-Disney theatrical film allowed to do location shooting at Disneyland during Walt's life.) Walt was impressed by her work on the film and she gained a Disney contract.

Pleshette quit acting in 2004. A longtime smoker, in the last couple of years of her life she suffered from lung cancer, and she died of respiratory failure.

178px-Charles_Ruggles_1962.JPG

Charles "Charlie" Ruggles (1886-1970) was in San Francisco during the 1906 earthquake and resulting fire. Dynamite was used to create firebreaks, and he rode a dynamite wagon. He also was enlisted to help enforce curfew.

As an actor, he worked in theater and silent movies, then moved into talking pictures, then back into theater and television.
During World War II, Ruggles was in only three films because of his war work; he entertained troops across the United States and took a five-month tour of battle areas in the Pacific. In 1944, he set a record selling war bonds (he literally provided the shirt off his back, often auctioning his clothes from the stage).

For Disney, he appeared in The Parent Trap, Son of Flubber, The Ugly Dachsund, and Follow Me, Boys! In addition to numerous films, including Bringing Up Baby, he also is known for having had a recurring guest role on The Beverly Hillbillies, appearing on Bewitched, and narrating the Aesop's Fables segment on The Bullwinkle Show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter