Mega Movie Stars March Exercise Challenge

For Two-Fer Tuesday, here are Jane and Michael Banks. These two actors, Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber, appeared together in all three of their Disney movies--The Three Lives of Thomasina, Mary Poppins, and The Gnome-Mobile.

Mary_Poppins11.jpg

Karen Dotrice was born in 1955 in Guernsey, Channel Islands, to Shakespearean actors Kay and Roy Dotrice. She made her theatrical debut at age 4 in a Royal Shakespeare Company production, where a Disney scout saw her and brought her to Burbank to meet Walt Disney. As an adult, she mainly performed on TV, and her last acting performance was on stage in Othello in 1981.

Dotrice never actually saw the entire Mary Poppins film until the celebrations for the film's 50th anniversary. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, "When the movie was released in 1963, she did attend the London premiere with her mother (not to mention the Queen and Princess Margaret). 'But after half an hour my mum whisked me out because I had school the next day,' she recalls. 'She was terrified of the headmistress, same as me, so forget Walt Disney, Miss Tudor was much more important. So I never saw it.'"

Matthew Garber (1956-1977) came to Disney's attention because Roy Dotrice was a friend of the Garber family. According to D23, Garber's "use of 'artful dodges, like squinting, screwing up his nose, and brushing his hair back with one hand'” opened the gate to the Studio lot." After his Disney films Garber retired from acting. Nearly a decade later, he contracted hepatitis in India. By the time he returned to England, his pancreas was damaged, and he died of pancreatitis at age 21.

Both Dotrice and Garber were inducted as Disney Legends in 2004.

Dorothy_McGuire_in_Gentleman%27s_Agreement_trailer_cropped.jpg

Dorothy McGuire (1916-2001) was brought to Hollywood by David O. Selznick based on the quality of her Broadway performances. She starred in (non-Disney) films Claudia and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and received an Oscar nomination for Gentlemen's Agreement. She specialized in playing gentile, warm, and intelligent women; for Disney, she played mothers in Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, and Summer Magic. Reportedly unassuming in real life, she was often overlooked at award time.

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith for turning Gleeful Green! And the team is at 107%! :hippie:

A couple of more days in March, but we're still looking for a host for April. All that's required is a a willingness to update regularly (not even every day, if that's too much). No theme is necessary!

David John Stollery, III (born 1941) was named "Child Actor of the Year" on Broadway by age 7. He became well-known to Disney audiences as Marty in "The Adventures of Spin and Marty" serial on The Mickey Mouse Club and then appeared on film in Westward Ho the Wagons! and Ten Who Dared. He moved on from acting to study art at the Art Center College of Design and became a car designer for GM and Toyota (the 1978 Toyota Celica second generation A40 series). He then established his own firm, making a patented fiberglass lifeguard tower.

Stollery was named a Disney Legend in 2006.

The weather here has rough this week. It has rained every day and yesterday was down pours most of the day and then this morning it turned to some snow. It not shove-able snow but still snow. SO no walk for me yesterday. I did get 18 minutes in throughout the day.

595/930

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!