Membership / card question

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
So - this is a trivial question, but noted something and it made me wonder.

We bought two resale contracts. One in 2014 at AKV with December UY, and a second in May of this year at BWV with a February UY - so two completely separate memberships. We bought the first contract before they suspended membership benefits for re-sale buyers, but obviously the second contract was after the suspension occurred.

When I went on-line recently to make a reservation, I notice that when booking, the AKV contract shows "Member since December 1, 2008" and the BWV contract has "Member since February 1, 2008", neither of which are true.

So I decided to look at the Membership IDs, and sure enough, if I print a digital card from either membership - it shows the different member number, but also says "Member since 2008" and prints out a the blue full member card.

Now, I know the fact that the 2nd membership is showing as a full membership shouldn't even matter since I have one that's pre-change, but I am just curious: Have other people had this happen, where a membership that was bought after the April 2016 shows as some earlier date and they still can take advantage of full member benefits? Or someone that added a contract recently has noticed this?

What really bugs me is the 2008 date on BOTH memberships. I know for a fact that the AKV contract wasn't originally even in existence until 2009. (Though AKV was open in 2008.) In addition, BWV was sold out well before 2008, so that contract shouldn't have that date either. It just seems odd, and so I just want to know if anyone else has seen something similar.

This sounds like it's happening to quite a few people, I have a feeling there's a bug within Disney's system causing this.

I know someone showed a blue card on their re-sale (post changes) and then the other day it shows as white now.

It's a bug in Disney's system. I bought AKV in May 2016 (a month after the resale restrictions went into effect) and they sent me a blue card by mistake that says member since 2012.

AKV open July 2, 2007 and we purchased in May 2007.

OK - but my point is still valid. The contract that I bought was originally purchased in 2009.

It's a bug in Disney's system. I bought AKV in May 2016 (a month after the resale restrictions went into effect) and they sent me a blue card by mistake that says member since 2012.

Well, as I said, it doesn't really matter since my AKV contract falls under the grandfather clause, but it just is so weird. I guess I won't point it out to them.

Our membership card says since 1998, presumably because we have Boardwalk. We bought in 2011 and 2013....

The member since date is the date from the prior owner or the original sale date of the contract, I don't remember which. In the past I would bring all of the DVC issues to DVC's attention and they would thank me and tell me that they would look into the issues. Nothing ever changed, they obviously know of the issues including this one but they don't care to spend there money to fix it.

:earsboy: Bill

My online card shows 2007 (I just became a member this year) but when I ordered our cards they came with the correct date.

The web developers don’t seem to understand the different date fields in the schema.

My membership dates online do not match to what they used to before they went to the new cards. The previous dates did match the original purchasers dates. They don't match to when I purchased either - and I have no idea why they have the dates they do.

Unfortunately mine has the actual date I bought my resale on. I'd have liked to have been the victim of this mess up.

I was one of the people experiencing some of the membership "anomalies." We own two resale contracts, BCV and AKV, both purchased this summer. Online, when the account was first created, the member since year did line up with the original date of purchase and a blue card appeared online. I ordered "replacement" cards and...IMG_0084.JPG...we got them five days later, with the correct 'member since' year. Now, however, our online dashboard shows a white card with the correct dates.

Your experience makes me think Disney's system/databases (as far as membership cards) are being utilized in ways that they weren't originally intended. Since the membership cards, physical or otherwise, have no purpose other than being a tangible aspect of 'membership extras' - you don't actually swipe your card for anything - I would venture a guess they patched their system to accommodate changes (restrictions based on 'qualified' points, etc.) rather than redesign the system to be fully functional for their new purposes. All because...it's more expensive to redesign their system to fix things that aren't broken in a meaningful way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter