Merchandise etiquette?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
So, I’m wondering peoples thoughts on limited edition merchandise purchase etiquette.

I went to the parks on Sunday. Due to work and family obligations I couldn’t go during the week or Saturday, and didn’t arrive until about 3 pm Sunday. First thing I did was go to the pin store at DCA and I got in line for the Oogie Boogie Limited Edition AP pin, which they still had displayed in the case. Unfortunately the guy in front of me got the very last 2 pins, even though he knew I also wanted one (we had discussed it and he knew I was disappointed that they were out). The guy and CM tried to give me possible locations where they may have some left, but unfortunately every place had sold out, many that morning. I did end up running into him later that day (we recognized each other due to sports teams shirts we were wearing), and he knew I didn’t have any luck.

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

Before I get flamed, I totally know that is not expected of him, and if I really wanted it I should have gotten there earlier (just wasn’t possible for me). I also never insinuated to him that he should let me buy one. I just know when it’s something in limited supply I usually only get one to leave others for other people who want; for example, i waited for an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket and could have gotten 2, one for me and one for my sister, but knew there was a lot of people who wanted them too, so only got 1.

What do other people think?

I would have only bought one. What does he need the same pin twice for? My husband's and my collection have 0 overlap. When the Nintendo Wii came out years ago I waited in line at a Circuit City to buy one and my mom came with me. She was offered a ticket in the line, she could have bought one and resold it for a handsome profit at the time, but she said no, I know there's people behind me that would actually want one. I feel like that's almost always the "right" thing to do. It's not like this guy was buying for a friend or someone that would never be able to get out there, he was buying for someone living in his house. My guess is he was going to sell it.

ah seriously, now we have etiquette for merchandise buying??? First come first served, why should you expect someone to not buy the amount they want and have the means to buy???

and @foodiddiedoo I buy pins in multiple, one to keep and the rest to trade. Big deal if someone buys multiple to sell, whats it to you?? the way people look down their noses is just laughable

While I do think it's unfortunate that there are so many re-sellers out there that snap up limited edition items, I don't fault the man in front of you because you don't know why he was buying two. If you had said he told you he was a re-seller, then I'd say he was acting in poor taste, but you said "I don't know what his exact situation was, but I think" (italics added) which indicates you didn't ask and he didn't say what he was going to do with the second one. So without knowing that he was a re-seller for sure, I wouldn't want to condemn the man's actions. He also could have been buying one for a friend, as a present, etc. I frequently buy two of the same pin design when I'm at the parks; one is for me, one is a family member that also collects pin. I've bought a second popcorn bucket to give my best friend's kid for their Halloween present. I wouldn't have left either item behind just because it was the last one; I have no way of really knowing whether the person behind me is a re-seller or not (you might have said you're not, but I wouldn't have any way to know if you're telling the truth or not - I'm not saying you were lying, but I wouldn't put it past some folks to come with some story like that to get something they wanted).

ah seriously, now we have etiquette for merchandise buying??? First come first served, why should you expect someone to not buy the amount they want and have the means to buy???

and @foodiddiedoo I buy pins in multiple, one to keep and the rest to trade. Big deal if someone buys multiple to sell, whats it to you?? the way people look down their noses is just laughable
You buy the limited edition ones in multiples, or regulars? Does Disney have a limit on number to purchase of the LE pins? It seems at DL there's a lot more "line up" for pin purchasing than there is at DW. Not "looking my nose down" at anyone, just saying how I would have done it.

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

What do other people think?

Some posters say that first come, first served. While I don't necessarily disagree, if the guy chose to be especially kind, he could have seen to it that you got one -- that's what I would have done. But was he obliged to? No. Could he have been kind? Sure. My feeling is that buying however many he wanted was sort of like getting a C on an exam. It's acceptable but an A or even and A+ is more desirable. That is, his behavior was passable but not exemplary.

Last edited:

You buy the limited edition ones in multiples, or regulars?

Both, if Disney have a limit thats one thing, but for some random person to tell me that I shouldnt buy multiples , thats just wow.

Also so what about resellers?? For some people, especially Europeans, we can not physically get to the parks, So what if someone has the get up and go and buys merchandise in the park and resells on the internet?

Both, if Disney have a limit thats one thing, but for some random person to tell me that I shouldnt buy multiples , thats just wow.

Also so what about resellers?? For some people, especially Europeans, we can not physically get to the parks, So what if someone has the get up and go and buys merchandise in the park and resells on the internet?
It's fine to resell, I just feel bad for the OP talking to this guy for a considerable amount of time in line and then the guy in front of him still buying the last one. I wouldn't be able to do that to someone. If they had been quiet, not conversed and just ended up the guy in front of him bought the last two well such is life. I feel like the situation changed because of the camaraderie and in that situation I wouldn't have been able to buy the last two pins without feeling really bad about it.

Also I discovered you can buy the pins from the park on the Disney Parks website and have had to SUPER hold myself back from spending a lot of money before I even hit the parks!

I went to the parks on Sunday. Due to work and family obligations I couldn’t go during the week or Saturday, and didn’t arrive until about 3 pm Sunday.
Unfortunately, because you had all week, it makes me feel you missed your chance. Sorry.
Had it been the very first morning and you and I had lined up together in the early hours together I would have felt very inclined to share, knowing you had pretty much done everything possible and I just beat you by mere seconds.
That said, I just think Disney should stock more so more fans get the fun and they can make more money.

This happens to me all the time. I don't know if the guy in front of you was planning on buying 2 the whole time or if he just suddenly decided to buy the last one because you wanted it. I've had several situations where the person ahead of didn't want what I wanted, but when they found out that I wanted it (badly) and it was the last one, they suddenly decided to buy it. It's happened with both food and merchandise. It must be some crazy psychological thing.

Honestly, some of this merchandise that is so limited is really Disney's fault. They know they will have huge demand for some of these items. Is it so hard to have enough on hand?

I take your point but I suspect they know that collectors enjoy having rare or limited items.

I take your point but I suspect they know that collectors enjoy having rare or limited items.

Limited is one thing, like say, merch that is available between X and Y dates, but they should have enough to go around for those who show up during those dates. They just need to manage their inventory.

My guess is that they intentionally stock less than what will likely be in demand to create something of a frenzy. I could be wrong, of course.

But how does it benefit Disney to create a frenzy? They sell as many as they make. If they make more, they would sell more. Having hyped up demand is great, but with no supply to fill it they are leaving money on the table. Now, of course they don't want to be stuck with a ton of unsold product, but I'm sure Disney has some people who would be very good at estimating the demand.

But how does it benefit Disney to create a frenzy? They sell as many as they make. If they make more, they would sell more. Having hyped up demand is great, but with no supply to fill it they are leaving money on the table. Now, of course they don't want to be stuck with a ton of unsold product, but I'm sure Disney has some people who would be very good at estimating the demand.

They've been doing this a long time which leads me to suspect that there's a method to their seeming madness. Perhaps their research suggests that selling fewer pins draws more people to pin collecting/trading. That is, they may sell fewer pins in the short term but in the long term they sell more. This may be a strategy with the aim of building/sustaining their pin-collector market.

Last edited:
I was in line at Westward Ho to get the oogie pin. The CM said there were 5 left. The guy 2 in front of me purchased 3. I was just hoping the guy in front of me didin't get 2. Luckily he only got 1 and I of course only got 1. But everybody else in line behind me was left out. The guy who purchased 3 was able to with just 1 AP. My DH was with me but we were only planning on getting 1 as we share our collection. I just don't know what somebody really needs 3 for. I later saw that same guy go to two other stores and try and purchase them up. I really don't think he needs that many especially where a lot of people were wanting them

I was in line at Westward Ho to get the oogie pin. The CM said there were 5 left. The guy 2 in front of me purchased 3 ... I really don't think he needs that many especially where a lot of people were wanting them

Agreed. This feels unfair. Perhaps they should limit them to two per guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!