MetroLink Ticket Question (Anaheim to Universal)

CustodialQueen

How about some backstage passes?
Hi all - first timers to California. We are planning on using public transportation to get from Anaheim to Universal Studios. We are traveling on a weekday. The plan is to take the MetroLink (ARTIC Anaheim Station) ---> LA Union Station ---> Metro Red Line. I'd like to have an idea of how the tickets work. Do I buy a ticket for MetroLink, and then another separate ticket for the Metro Red Line? I saw something about a TAP card which seems to work for both, but I was confused about the details on that.

Also, what is the best way to return back to Anaheim? It looks like the last MetroLink train picks up at Union Station somewhere around 6ish, and we intend to stay later into the evening at Universal, so that isn't ideal. Should we take the Metro Red Line back to Union Station? And then Amtrak? Or Uber?

Look at the price of a round trip Amtrak ticket vs. Metrolink and Amtrak one way tickets.

Either way, you can purchase via app (metro link for a paperless ticket and you get a QR CODE) or online (amtrak). Nit sure if online has the app

You should be able to use the QR code on the metrolink ticket to use the metro red line but I'm not certain on that

Hi all - first timers to California. We are planning on using public transportation to get from Anaheim to Universal Studios. We are traveling on a weekday. The plan is to take the MetroLink (ARTIC Anaheim Station) ---> LA Union Station ---> Metro Red Line. I'd like to have an idea of how the tickets work. Do I buy a ticket for MetroLink, and then another separate ticket for the Metro Red Line? I saw something about a TAP card which seems to work for both, but I was confused about the details on that.

Also, what is the best way to return back to Anaheim? It looks like the last MetroLink train picks up at Union Station somewhere around 6ish, and we intend to stay later into the evening at Universal, so that isn't ideal. Should we take the Metro Red Line back to Union Station? And then Amtrak? Or Uber?

If you travel via MetroLink you do not need to purchase a ticket for the Metro RedLine. Your MetroLink ticket will be valid all day for all LA Metro Rail and Bus lines. If you purchase your ticket at a Metrolink vending machine, the ticket will have a RFID "TAP" chip inside the ticket which you will tap against the turnstile when transferring to the Redline. If you purchase your Metrolink ticket via the App, you will get a QR code ticket and to transfer to the Redline you will scan that QR code at the Redline turnstiles.

As for travel, suggestion is to travel out of Fullerton Amtrak/Metrolink station. More trains depart and arrive at that station compared to Anaheim. To stay late at Universal, you can take the Redline from Universal to Pershing Square Station and connect to LA Metro bus 460 to Disneyland. The 460 runs every 15-30mins and the last bus is at 11pm at night and it drops you off right at the Harbor entrance to Disneyland.

As for travel, suggestion is to travel out of Fullerton Amtrak/Metrolink station. More trains depart and arrive at that station compared to Anaheim. To stay late at Universal, you can take the Redline from Universal to Pershing Square Station and connect to LA Metro bus 460 to Disneyland. The 460 runs every 15-30mins and the last bus is at 11pm at night and it drops you off right at the Harbor entrance to Disneyland.

That sounds doable to me! Thank you.

Would the MetroLink ticket also work for the ART bus? I was thinking we may take that to the ARTIC and go from there.

That sounds doable to me! Thank you.

Would the MetroLink ticket also work for the ART bus? I was thinking we may take that to the ARTIC and go from there.

The only ART bus line that accepts Metrolink tickets is route 15- the Anaheim Train Station route.

OCTA 43 and 543 accept Metrolink tickets, either one of those bus routes will take you from Disneyland to Fullerton Station .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter